Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: ultima online sucks now due to whiney players I am referring to the good old days of Pentium1 TIME!

Those of you remember ultima Online probably had good memories of that game or possibly some bad memories. It was not a grind fest everyone was equal just had different skills. In Ultima online you could be a powerful player RICH beyond imagine, and OWN CASTLES without even holding a weapeon or casting a spell.

MAIN THING PVP!

Ultima online also had the best pvp... you see wow players running around in epic armor if you pk them you get nothing and they just respawn at a shrine. In ultima online you die if someone pk's you or a monster kills you a player can loot you corpse of anything you were wearing. They can even cut up your body take your arm leg head or anything! TOTAL FREEDOM! It would make wow players think twice about using that epic armor of theirs.

Games have been dumbed down to instant gratification and it's lame!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Here here!

So UO is still around, just crappy? I would love to see it revived, a new Ultima MMO based on the old one.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I played UO for over seven years...and the last three was only because I was a Guild Master. I finally left because they turned it into an item based game rather then skill based(both player and character skill do not mean as much any more) and there is so much gold in the economy that it is pretty much worthless. If checks could go high enough I could log in and make you a check for a billion gold. At one time if I said ballance by a crowded bank it would make some people's clients crash.

In my MMO search I have not been able to find another MMO that even comes close. Every game is select some thing you want dead and chacter kills it. There is no player skill at all save for knowing when to hit a hotkey. Plus the real killer is that every thing is class based meaning the game tells me what skills I will have, what weapons/armor I can use, and what spells I can cast. Oh and when you "level" your stats go up a certain amount and you gain certain skills. So every naked level 40 fighter will be exactly the same...some games will have little bonuses you can get to "customize" your character, but every class pretty much must take the same ones since the others don't help them out so it is all pointless any way and could just as well be put into the regular level up.

Asheron's call was about the only game that came close on the character development...but its game play was not about make me leave UO.

Anarchy Online's skill system was a very far second, but at least you could pick what weapons your Doctor would use and even though it suffers from horrible game play I still enjoyed it for quite a while...then the froobs came and the game got ruined for me.

EQ2 was alright, but it had a near total lack of PvP unless you played a PvP server and the game was just too unballanced for open PvP

WoW felt like I was playing Anarchy Online except there was absolutely no control over your character's development and I came along too late for it any way so the economy isn't all that great and newer players are expected to solo to at least level 60.

The gaming worlds flat out needs another UO...Darkfall was sounding pretty good and it supposedly is in Closed Beta right now. However, I don't think the game is going to make it very well. We need smaller steps to get away from the Everquest themed MMOs and I think it is a bit much to expect a person who's been playing WoW for a couple years to just jump into some thing like open pvp and looting

·
Banned
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember when you needed your armor fixed you could go to a blacksmith there would be a bunch of them just standing their filling orders and repairing ****... it was awesome... I remember when I needed my armor fixed it was a blue archersuit... i think that was agapite ingots or whatever it was called... but i handed my armor over in trade cause you had to trade it over fully to get it repaired (trust thing) the guy takes off running to the bank it was hilarious now that i look at it I was pissed back then! All i could do was say fug you and grab a new set of armor and learn from my mistake I took the guys name down and I killed him manytimes in the mining caves around britain. But that was so fun and I wish I could find another game like it!

Remember deadly trapped boxes people would drop infront of the bank then newbs would open them and die muahahaahahh....

or theives at the bank... or the house lootings or the boat jackings... OMG! so much fun stuff... casting earthquake inside your house almost killing everyone outside then ebing them to death!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'll never forget old Ultima Online. Bone armor was actually awesome then. Vanquishing weapons were rare as hell, and actually strong. No wussy safe realm. PKs in deceit always made it interesting, and challenging. Risk v. Reward was insane.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts
I played it for a few years myself, but finally gave up not long after EA bought out Origin. That was pretty much the point where the game changed over from skill and who you knew to what items you had. When I played, an honest GM blacksmith/tinker could make a fortune without ever leaving the north Brit smithy (except for the occasional bank/mining run). I got lucky and buddied up to a guy who led a headhunter guild. He would send his whole guild to me for repairs because none of them had bothered to make a smith. I made enough off that and random repair/custom order work to buy a large tower back when they were actually worth something. Yep, it was a very fun game. Random dungeon raids, roving PK's, having to hide your house key under piles of stuff...those were the days.

I ended up ebaying my account right after the asian themed update. It just wasn't the same game anymore. I'd love to find another game like that...pre Trammel would be best but I'd even settle for pk/npk zones as long as it was skill based instead of item based like almosty everything else on the market. Guild Wars has good pvp, but it is entirely too stripped down to even be a valid comparison. Really the only thing it has in common with old school UO is that equipment doesn't make much difference. It's all about the skills you use - combining and timing them for best effect.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
UO kind of reminds me of Tibia, also a pretty old game. Yes I know it's horrible, but that game is also more about skills then equipment. Unfortunatly I kind of stopped playing due to major PK guilds killing everyone at random.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
There's always someone harping on how great the PK days were, how much Trammel ruined the game. No one arguing that point has ever been able to make a convincing argument to me about why Felucca became a virtual ghost town minutes after Trammel was launched.

Guys, open PvP leads to rampant PKing, which sucks for the overwhelming majority of people. I think the Renaissance update had it exactly right: You opt-in to PvP at any time (by going to Felucca), and the risks of doing so are strong...if you're into that sort of thing, the looting and what-not, it's all still there. The only people who don't benefit from this system are the people who want want to prey on everyone, whether they feel the same as you about PvP.

Maybe a better solution would have been PvP and non-PvP shards; but I think we would just have found that the PvP shards were unpopular, and were eventually outnumbered by non-PvP shards 10-to-1. At least with the split system there is some PvP on every shard.

Regardless, whether we agree on the Trammel/Felucca split or not, I do agree that the modern virtual elimination of any death penalty is a bad thing. Death should have some consequences in an MMO, whether it is from PvP or PvE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts