Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw somewhere that diamond has 3X the heat conductivity as copper, so i was thinking, get maybe 1 or 2mm or factory grade diamond (used in saws and machines, should be about 10$)and put that between arctic silver and the cpu then maybe more arctic silver, and then either a peltier with LN2 cooling
http://www.overcool.com/Exec/product...&item_id=29988 and this OC ing kit
http://www.xoxide.com/ovcokit.html
im sure it would get to 10 Degrees or lower

just a dream, that would be like 600$ minimum

·
Registered
604 Posts
To get the most out of it you would need to remove the IHS... So great care would need to be taken.

·
Registered
639 Posts
here is a pic with the ihs off. yes it is the metal plate thing
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MangledWookie

Didnt Thrilla do something similar!?

OFF TOPIC: Where IS Thrilla. I was away for a while, and now he is never on...

He's.... let just say he's not allowed here anymore

·
Registered
125 Posts
ouch.....major bannage i am guessing...... but not my place to say

anywho, this sounds like it should actually work, but for it to work- like Ty Auchter said- you will have to be extremely carefull.

this is the type of project that has big enough risks to make it interesting but not enough to make it unattemptable, so it is the perfect project in my mind.

if i had the money i would attempt it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So you want to put a layer of diamond between your CPU and a peltier? I assume you would stilll be putting a watercooling system in which would have a coppper base connected to the CPU. If that is the case, then the limiting thermal resistance would still come from the artic silver and the copper base. Adding a piece of diamond in won't help since Q=(TH-TC)/R and since the resistance for the copper/artic silver is larger than the diamonds, then having the diamond real doesnt do anything (in fact it would add more resistance). Now if you used a "paste" made out of pure diamonds (and good luck with that) and used that instead of the artic silver, then it would transfer heat better (though probably only slightly better). Or if you made the CPU block out of diamonds then that would be better.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Just use some liquid metal...

Edit: I've got the 437w TEC from Winstch Labs (no longer in business, to my knowledge) and it gets -8°C load temps. That's with regular thermal paste. I'm thinking of getting some liquid metal between the copper and peltier to help lower heat resistance from the peltier. I'll let you know my results once I get the liquid metal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
liquid metal? as in mercury?

·
Registered
125 Posts
oh ok

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dolinn

So you want to put a layer of diamond between your CPU and a peltier? I assume you would stilll be putting a watercooling system in which would have a coppper base connected to the CPU. If that is the case, then the limiting thermal resistance would still come from the artic silver and the copper base. Adding a piece of diamond in won't help since Q=(TH-TC)/R and since the resistance for the copper/artic silver is larger than the diamonds, then having the diamond real doesnt do anything (in fact it would add more resistance). Now if you used a "paste" made out of pure diamonds (and good luck with that) and used that instead of the artic silver, then it would transfer heat better (though probably only slightly better). Or if you made the CPU block out of diamonds then that would be better.

he is correct.... just plain physic laws...
if you want to drop temps, then focus on lowering ambient temperature.

e.g. i had a crazy idea of making a 1,5m tube with 2-3 fans in it that will hose cool air from my window (which is always a little bit open) into my case.

This means that i'll have an about 16-20 oC temperature drop [even more in the cold winter nights
] of the air that will be used to cool my system.

I am sure that this will translate to a very formidable drop of my components' temperature.

It is not the same to cool your system using 25oC air and using 5oC air.

Well, of course this mod worths the trouble, only in regions and during seasons, where the outside temperature is at least 10oC colder than room temperature.

e.g. here in Greece (meditereanean climate) and Sep-March and especially between afternoon-dawn we have some good low temps...
i do not have immediate plans on doing this and testing it, as i don't have my system Oced at max, so i don't really need this...

If this don't look good on you, then maybe try to cut a hole in a fridge, put your case in it, so as only the front panel to be reachable, use an appropriate material to insulate the area around your case, so as no air from outside can go into the fridge and you are done....
PP

well, you can do this, but it's really silly.... i mean... when the Pentium family was introduced in the market and when me and my buddy found out what kind of heat was made from the CPU (compared to old 486 dx2 66 systems we used back then) we started making fun of how future PC systems (that's todays systems) will be mid and full tower fridges, and not aluminium cases

Today this is a reality, as i just saw a post of some guy talking about puting his PC in the fridge!!! Next thing you know, we'll start commenting on what brand of fridge is best for putting your PC in....
PP

Forgive me, but THIS is silly... maybe you'll prefer to use my above scheme of making the 2-3 fan tube to cool your system with way cooler air from the outside... I know that this mod cannot be used in every way as it has certain requirements, but in some cases (and when carefuly and well manufactured) i expect it to give an atleast 10oC drop in temperature of all components.

·
Elder Tribesman
146 Posts
I hear that Silver is one of the most conductive metals for heat.

I'd consider doing something with that as a base before diamonds... Just sounds cheaper!

Too bad silver is so maleable or i'm sure we'd see some pure-silver waterblocks and heatsinks, etc..

·
Registered
330 Posts
come on guys, the thread is 3 years old.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ok everyone!
#1 diamond dust would destroy the pump and erode the water blocks and tubes down to nothing

#2 READ THE FREAKIN DATE OF WHEN THE THREAD WAS STARTED
if it is over 3 mounths old DON'T POST

mods should rely set it so threads automaticaly close after 6 mounths like most other forums do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.