Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by harmonicgenerator007
i have a question if you ctrl+alt+del and go to processes and end all unnessicary process will this in time like decrease your cpu temp because its not doing as much?
If you disabled any NONVITAL process YES...BUT it won't actually mater because under FULL load you do not want to excede MAX recommended temps so a few extra in the background don't matter much when the CPU is not under load!
Here is a what and how to on various services w/XP SP2!
fresh_link

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
before i even attempt this during the weekend, i would like to ask if anyone could tell me something. First of all i have a Gigabyte K8 triton (GA-K8NSC-939) with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (runs at stock of 1800) code named Venice and 1 gig (2 512 chips) of kny ddr400 ram. What i want to know mainly is, how much can i up the cpu speed, with a stock cpu fan, and 2 extra fans (i have another fan blowing air out the back and one blowing it frontwards that i bought years ago from my old system) no money right now for special cooling as i spent all on the mobo/cpu/memory. Does anyone know specificly how much higher it can suport without needing excess cooling? or will i HAVE to play with it to find out?

·
Banned
125 Posts
You only need to take the battery off for 15 minutes to get the needed affect, not an hour. Tried after 15 mins on my friends computer and it worked again. Just thought i'd share that

- mtw

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi all,

Just wanted to ask about watercooling, my amd 3700 is up to 2.8ghz now, about 48c on load, but if i go any higher my computer becomes unstable, but i noticed that people can only achieve overclocks of 3ghz plus with water cooling, i dont understand how they can only do this with water cooling because, i thought that you could go up to 55c on load, but my temps are 48c on load, and i still cant get any higher than 2.8ghz, how will water cooling make a difference?

will your processor have a bigger max fsb when at 15c, to say 45c?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No, your max bus probably won't change (unless you weren't at your max bus to begin with due to limits on CPU frequency/clock speed and not being able to change the multiplier). The big advantage with better cooling is that you can run your CPU with a higher voltage while not having extreme temps and not damaging your chip. The higher voltage will allow your CPU to run at a higher frequency (clock speed). If there was someone who had a mobo where they couldn't change the CPU voltage (vcore) or were already at their mobo's max vcore, watercooling probably won't help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, thanks, do you think that i should be able to push my san diego 3700 to 2.7v?

obviosly with heat you could monitor it and shut down if it was to hot,

but is there any way you could monitor voltage, i mean if i was to blow the chip with to much voltage, would i get any warnings signs before, eg crashing or screen twitches, where i could quickly shut the system down, or would it simply just stop functioning in one go and that would be the end of it?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There aren't really any tell tell signs that your voltage is too high besides temperatures and stability. Generally a chip won't stop functioning right away unless you do something drastic. More often then not the chip just doesn't last as long as it normally would (ie. only lasts 5 years instead of 10 years). I'm not familiar with your chip, but 2.7v would be too high (if you mobo can even increase the voltage that high). A general rule is: Don't increase your voltage by more than about 18% from stock with good air cooling, and don't increase by more than 25% with good watercooling. Of course if your temps are getting above 53C or there abouts, then you're too high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an Athlon64 3000+ Venice (1.8GHz and 1GHz FSB)... on an MSI K8N Neo4-F. So far this board seems to QUITE excellent for overclocking. I've tweaked my FSB to 300 with an HT multiplier of x3 (default is 200 x 5) and I've left the CPU multiplier at x9 (which is the default, and highest)... therefore I have a CPU speed of 2.7GHz and bus speed of 900MHz (as opposed to 1.8GHz CPU, and 1000MHz bus speed) and I also adjusted my vcore from the default of 1.4v to 1.6v (although it fluctuated from 1.57 to 1.58, and sometimes up to 1.62... not sure if this is normal). Now as for my temperature... yes it certainly has gone up... I ran the Prime95 maximum heat torture test and it doesn't go any higher than 52C (I'm using the AMD stock cooler, which works well, but is annoyingly loud at full speed). At idle it hangs at around 40C-42C.

I'm just wondering if these settings are safe, I haven't thoroughly tested them... but I'm not sure if I need a higher vcore, or maybe I should step the CPU multi down to x8.5 or x8 to be safe.

Any suggestions appreciated?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by studhudson69

i have a hp celeron proc.700 with a 128 megs of ram can i overclock thid thing?

lol u beat my secondary rig by 33mhz.
Anyways, you CAN overclock your CPU in 2 ways:
1. Flash your BIOS (most likely not possible for you, so ignore this option)
2. Use software to overclock (may not work, but it is worth a shot). Try to find some software that allows you to overclock over the internet (sadly, I cannot name a few off the top of my head).

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello everyone! i have problems with my amd bartom 3000, the system don't let change my multipler fsb. the stock multipler is 10.5 x 200, i think my processor is blocked for this, i alread raise my fsb to 212 mor than that and my sistem go unstable.what do i do?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
It is most likely locked... they have been for a long time now!
Thats a respectabel OC!
Please start a new thread on your OCing...
I'd be glad to help with what I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

It is most likely locked... they have been for a long time now!
Thats a respectabel OC!
Please start a new thread on your OCing...
I'd be glad to help with what I know.

well the duke, i put some new information for help us to help me ^_- and

now after read the information off overcloking in this forum, i can't or don't no
a way to change my memory timings, my mobo don't give my this option, because i'm change my fsb and not the multipler my sistem crash whem i'm playing a game
like far cry.If you now how to change de memori timings give me a help ok!!

FSB 214 mhz x 10.5

·
Registered
7 Posts
can anyone tell me whats the maximum fsb speed for a 3500 venice with stock cooling?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathONator

Please post all questions that are specific to your application in a new thread of your own.

WoW i just now read your Guide and im like the 34 thousanth to read it. Nice work

21 - 40 of 129 Posts