Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked my hard drives with HD Tune, out of 8 hard drives in my file server, 6 of them has a warning status on the Ultra DMA CRC Error Count. Most of them are elss than 10, but one drive has an Ultra DMA CRC Error Count of 181, is that a cause for concern?

Also, one of the hard drive has a Reallocated Sector Count of 2, so is that drive about to die? Interestingly it only has a Ultra DMA CRC Error Count of 13.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
For an Ultra DMA CRC Error, I'd check for issues with your connectors (not snug enough?) or look into cable issues (testing with alternate cables and/or replacing them).

The reallocated sector count on your drive is pretty low, but if the value starts to increase dramatically I'd start to worry. Back up anything on that drive to be safe in case it does.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
CRC error means that the system noticed a bad packet of data being transferred. This tends to be more with the controller or connector.

Reallocated Sectors are normal as no HDD disk is ever perfect. These happen all the time and your HDD reassigns the space to map around the bad sectors. However, if a certain number occur and there's no more free space... or if a lot start to occur, then worry.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll keep monitoring the drive with the reallocated sector count.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts