Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So while I'm trying to figure out how to stabilize my other recent kit, I've acquired yet another exotic kit, this time from Taiwan.
This kit was not easy to get. It costed me $293 USD for the kit with shipping, and cost about ~$54 USD in customs, for a total of ~$347 USD.

Now, there are higher frequency offerings from the same EOL product line, but I couldn't find them, so I settled on a kit that I felt would have some overclocking headroom.
This particular kit is rated only at 1.20V and doesn't come with an XMP profile since it is just 2,133 MHz JEDEC.

My working theory is that if it is at least Hynix CJR, it should allow me to jack in some volts to push it harder.
The goal here is to try to achieve 4,000 MHz. I will be testing out some loosened timings with comparable Hynix kits at the 4,000 MHz range.

For now, some product photos. Will report back once I have some conclusive results. The test bench is the exact same as the one used for the Galax kit.

Attachments

19 Cans of Ravioli
I had a 4x2 kit of GeIL Dragon DDR4-3600 (17-18-18-38) when I was on Skylake and it OCed awful, don't remember what IC it was but hopefully you don't have the same luck 馃檭

I remember I ran it at 3733 but I don't remember what timings, and I remember it flat out wouldn't boot at any voltage/timings >3733.

you can kind of see it in the background of an HWBOT photo (I think GTX 280?).

• Haha
Reactions: Ichirou

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had a 4x2 kit of GeIL Dragon DDR4-3600 (17-18-18-38) when I was on Skylake and it OCed awful, don't remember what IC it was but hopefully you don't have the same luck 馃檭

I remember I ran it at 3733 but I don't remember what timings, and I remember it flat out wouldn't boot at any voltage/timings >3733.

you can kind of see it in the background of an HWBOT photo (I think GTX 280?).
Will be interesting to see what they do. The chips are from SpecTek, which implies Micron is the manufacturer.
Chances are, the product line has mixed ICs based on what frequency and timings you buy the kits at. But I couldn't get ahold of a better one, so...

We'll just have to see how these turn out. So far, 3,600 CL18 on G1 seems to boot. Not really managing to get above 3,600, but still testing.

Boots to Desktop (on Gear 1) with 64 GB:
3,600 MHz @ 18-20-20-40
3,000 MHz @ 15-17-17-35

Both of those have a latency of 10 ns, which might be the limit of that IC. Will keep testing. Also, training takes an insane amount of time.

Registered
I remember the geil black dragon kits....got that was a long time ago. I sold those on here. I didn't know they still made these.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I remember the geil black dragon kits....got that was a long time ago. I sold those on here. I didn't know they still made these.
They don't; I just got hooked up with some dust-collecting underground bunker storage kits, lol. Ones forgotten in time. Not sure why I wasn't given a discount on them though.

==========================================================================================

So far, the insane amount of time it takes with each boot to try to train is kind of getting on my nerves with this kit. Will probably just stop at this point since it seems that it won't POST anywhere above 3,600 MHz, no matter the timings or voltage. (And even at 3,600 MHz, the timings are pretty weak at 18-20-20-40. Based purely on tCL, that's a performance uplift of almost 30%. Real world is most likely different.)

In any case, I don't care about this kit all that much anymore, so if anyone wants to take it off me, I'll have a thread open to sell it in a bit. Gonna part with it for $330, shipping with tracking included (Canada or USA)

Iconoclast
Those are almost certainly old Micron ICs. They are probably fastest somewhere around 2667 CL12, with ultra tight subs.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou
1 - 7 of 7 Posts