Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to make an ultra silent watercooling setup (and no worries, not going to talk about that here) but I need the proper ultra quiet fans to go with it, and I have seen so many reviews of fans giving off different sound levels that I am rather frustrated as to wether the fans I am considering are inaudible when undervolted or if this 'inaudibility' doesn't even exist. I know that the HDD's will always be problem even if I get literally silent fans, but I do not care about that in particular. I need to replace the 6 fans on my Antec 1200, meaning 5x 120mm and 1x 200mm and get 9 more 120mm fans (or 4 180mm fans) for my Phobya Nova Xtreme rad. For the 200mm fan I ended up finding the Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm Blue LED fan, which is supposedly not audible, and I am least worried about this fan because it only spins at 800rpm as far as I know. For the other 14 (no joke) 120 mm fans I ended up with either NoiseBlocker XL1 REV3 fans, or NoiseBlocker XL2 REV3 fans, or Gelid Wing 12 UV Blue 1500rpm fans, which supposedly are also completely silent due to "NanoFlux" bearing. The problem is I found reviewers on youtube saying they literally cannot hear the Gelid Wing Fans at full speed (my personal preference if they are silent or very close to being inaudible at least) but I also found reviewers putting them the worst noise rating, so I have no idea, of what is true and what is not. For the NoiseBlocker XL1 and XL2 fans the general idea seems to be they are completely silent, but they are not that good at moving air, so I would also like your opinion on this. I can stand slight airflow/rotation noise under load, but otherwise I am a silence enthusiast and only going for this whole watercooling business due to the possible ultra silent result. So, if I may ask again, can anyone tell me if these fans are really silent, or if they are not, what would be a fan that is extremely silent:
  1. GELID Wing Gamer Fan 12 UV Blue 1500rpm
  2. NoiseBlocker XL1 Rev3 120mm
  3. NoiseBlocker XL2 Rev3 120mm

P.S. I am not worried about airflow either, because I purposely chose a large low fin density radiator.

EDIT: I ended up buying 5x the NoiseBlocker Multiframe M12-S2 and a Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm for the case fans. I am completely happy with the noise level, as I now no longer have the case fans as loudest element (GPU fans under full load) but the H50 and the PSU. The thread has developed more into finding quiet, air-cooled hardware in general for a silent PC.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
The megaflow is most definitely audible. That's honestly probably the loudest fan in my case, lol.

Can't speak to the other fans you listed though. Honestly, just get some good fans and a fan controller.

And even with a low fin rad you still need a fair amount of airflow.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
How about the TB Silence fans from Enermax?

-EDIT-
Nevermind, this fan is stabilized with a few magnets to minimize friction, and may not be suitable when its placed up against a metal radiator..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

NF P12?
I may end up with those except for the fact that those also seem to be as quiet as other fans in the same noise range, just that they look butt-ugly (thats only my personal opinion ofcourse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

The megaflow is most definitely audible. That's honestly probably the loudest fan in my case, lol.
Can't speak to the other fans you listed though. Honestly, just get some good fans and a fan controller.
And even with a low fin rad you still need a fair amount of airflow.
So much for the megaflow being inaudible... it seems like the online reviews of fan noise are nearly impossible. So am I going to even find a 200mm fan to replace the Antec BigBoy that is, err, silent?

EDIT: @Nemesis429 Thanks for the tip btw, did not notice that sub forum.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefandir View Post

I may end up with those except for the fact that those also seem to be as quiet as other fans in the same noise range, just that they look butt-ugly (thats only my personal opinion ofcourse).
So much for the megaflow being inaudible... it seems like the online reviews of fan noise are nearly impossible. So am I going to even find a 200mm fan to replace the Antec BigBoy that is, err, silent?
EDIT: @Nemesis429 Thanks for the tip btw, did not notice that sub forum.
what did Noctua think on doing in that color if even persons from austria dont like it
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'll join this post. Have Antec 1200 as well
tongue.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
Nope. No device that moves is silent.

If you want quiet, go Gentle Typhoon and undervolt them.

If you really want a quiet setup you'll have to think about these component most:
Fans
Pump (vibrations and possibly wine)
GPU (Fan and wine)
PSU (Fan and wine)
Hard drives (most vibrate quite abit, even the best do)

I can help you out picking those if you require.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I have some Nosieblocker PK3 (140mm) and PL2 (120mm), 3 of each, they are about $25 per fan but they are really good. These are their "premium class" line, the XL models are the "high quality line" which should be cheaper but they will also will not perform as well. The PL2 (120mm) I run at 100%, and I would consider them rather quiet.

I had a problem with one of my PK3s, and the company sent me out 2 extras without me having to send in the faulty one. No cost to me. I believe the fans have lifetime warranty, so $25 each is a rather good investment in my opinion.

If you like pure black, like I do, these fans are damn sexy:
532e2ab3_comp.jpeg

(3x PL2 on radiator, 3x PK3 to replace the 800D's stock fans)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

what did Noctua think on doing in that color if even persons from austria dont like it
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
I hope I correctly am deciphering that as sarcasm, and well, I just can't stand the color. I tried setting up my pc to go with blue-black theming, and then there would be this white-brown glob which would kill me (sort of). So does everyone seem to stick to the Noctua series? Because if I can I will avoid it. -IF- that is the way to silence however, I don't want to contradict myself, since thats what I am asking for.
wackosmiley.gif

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

I hope I correctly am deciphering that as sarcasm, and well, I just can't stand the color. I tried setting up my pc to go with blue-black theming, and then there would be this white-brown glob which would kill me (sort of). So does everyone seem to stick to the Noctua series? Because if I can I will avoid it. -IF- that is the way to silence however, I don't want to contradict myself, since thats what I am asking for.
wackosmiley.gif
yes it is, Noctua make a great fans but only for heatsink like NH D14 you dont see the ugly NF p14 at all

biggrin.gif

there must be better fans but I think is impossible something under 12DBa bcuz more than 9 will be heard

I have NH D14 and has NF p12 and p14 both really more silent than 4x Sickleflow

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
wackosmiley.gif

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

I have a Nosieblocker PK3 (140mm) and PL2 (120mm), 3 of each, they are about $25 per fan but they are really good.
I had a problem with one of them, and the company sent me out 2 extras without me having to send in the faulty one. No cost to me. I believe the fans have lifetime warranty, so $25 is a rather good investment in my opinion.
So you are saying you have this? And you consider them silent?
cheers.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhemmens View Post

Nope. No device that moves is silent.
Yes, I should have been more specific. My goal is to achieve a sound intensity and quality so that I can, under full load, hear the air flow, but only barely the motor/friction of the fan.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I should have been more specific. My goal is to achieve a sound intensity and quality so that I can, under full load, hear the air flow, but only barely the motor/friction of the fan.
If you want quiet, go Gentle Typhoon and undervolt them.

If you really want a quiet setup you'll have to think about these component most:
Fans
Pump (vibrations and possibly wine)
GPU (Fan and wine)
PSU (Fan and wine)
Hard drives (most vibrate quite abit, even the best do)

I can help you out picking those if you require.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

So you are saying you have this? And you consider them silent?
cheers.gif
Yea, I have 3 of them on my radiator going 100% 24/7, and I watch movies and everything about 6 feet from my computer. Every reference GPU i've owned is louder than these things (while gaming), so they probably won't be the loudest thing in your computer. My 140mm PK3's on the other hand I have to turn down to about 70% before they are as quiet as my PL2s (they still are moving more air than the PL2s at 70%, but that's to be expected from a 140mm fan). If you need 120mm, I definitely recommend the PL2s.

Keep in mind.. they definitely aren't "silent", no fan will be, but they are quieter than most fans i've tested and still move a good amount of air. The sound the fans make are also more mellow, so you can easily tone it out. Some people have very different opinions on the term "silent". Rest assured, the Noiseblocker PL2 offers some of the best air flow vs noise on the market... so if you don't like them then your expectations of a fan is too high.
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.