Discussion Starter #1
which one is more suitable for triple sli'ing 260s or 275s
1) corsair hx850
2) ultra x3 1000
i think ultra is cheaper than corsair imo

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i have an ultra x3 1000. before i got this invidia card.......i had 2 ati cards, the x3 didn't even hiccup. make sure if you get it, you get the sli version. they have sli and crossfire versions! plus the cables are quite long depending on case size

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Ultra. Both are reputable brands but the Ultra is 100% modular, more power full AND cheaper..

~B~

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I prefer corsair's flat cables and warranty, but the X3 is one of the only psu's from ultra that I personally would use. I would go for the ultra since you are doing tri-sli, otherwise I would choose the corsair for sure.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Ultra has flat cables too. I own it, and it's 100% stable. It also has more watts, so if you were to think of doing dual or triple SLI, you wouldn't have to worry about watts getting in the way.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
You'll want a 1kW PSU for sure, and the Ultra's trusted

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandh
View Post

I prefer corsair's flat cables and warranty, but the X3 is one of the only psu's from ultra that I personally would use. I would go for the ultra since you are doing tri-sli, otherwise I would choose the corsair for sure.

Corsair cant beat Ultra`s Lifetime warranty. i used that ultra X3 1000W with 4870x2 quad crossfirex setup and my I7 920 was overclocked to 4ghz. i had no problem at all.

Forgot to mention i upgraded to Ultra X3 1600W. Once you get ultra you will only change it to better Ultra psu.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

The Ultra 1000 X3 is a good unit, should you get the fixed revision.
In reality the X3 is a glorified 850w unit, same output on the +12v as the 850 Corsair.

Exactly what I was about to say. Corsair doesn't falsely inflate their specs, Ultra does. The Ultra PSU is good, but the Corsair is better. Don't be fooled by the "1000w vs 850w" argument. Anybody that thinks the Ultra is a true 1000w is a fool. They have almost the exact same power output.

·
15,777 Posts
I don't care if it's a 100% modular because you'll be using the ATX12V 2.2 and EPS12V anyway... Sure it may be easier to install but the point in modular is to eliminate unwanted cables...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i visited the ultra website today
does it have to be 1000w sli instead of just 1000w if you want tri sli?
or are they the same product

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
AMD and NVidia will not allow one PSU to be both Crossfire and SLI certified so there are usually two models. They are the same PSU but they need to have separate SKUs to be certified. But then Ultra seems to have discontinued the ULT40064 and are now only selling the ULT40311. Considering Ultra's history I have a hard time believing this new model is anything but a cheaper built version of the original. But I have no proof of that.

The Ultra does not have the cabling for tri-sli and the HX850 is a better unit. As said earlier they both can provide 70A on the 12V which is what matters. The Corsair is also much more efficient and performs better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts