Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant decide on what cooler to get im scared of the copper true because the weight is to much 2KG **** itt could tear my motherboard appart , compare it to the weight for a thermalright ultra 120 extreme 790grams and i have read a number of articles and benchmarks with this cooler and it performs really well. Is the difference between the copper true and the ultra extreme that much ? Also should i use the paste that comes with the cooler or buy artic silver which i heard is pretty good but takes years to set

·
Unimportant
17,774 Posts
LOL nothing takes years to set, maybe 20-30 hours of heating and cooling cycles at most, and that depends on the paste. Artic silver does take some hours, although I have found if I fold for 48 hours its cured by then.

I don't have experience with either of those coolers, but I know the stock true is pretty heavy, especially vs my zalman 9700 or Xigmatek.

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
If your motherboard is in the horizonal position with the cooler standing upright then get the copper. Copper is about 4 times more thermally efficient than any alloy. If your motherboard is in the vertical position (a tower case) the copper is very heavy to have hanging there a bracket to hold it would help but if you are going to be moving it around a lot forget about the copper

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by macsbeach98 View Post
If your motherboard is in the horizonal position with the cooler standing upright then get the copper. Copper is about 4 times more thermally efficient than any alloy. If your motherboard is in the vertical position (a tower case) the copper is very heavy to have hanging there a bracket to hold it would help but if you are going to be moving it around a lot forget about the copper
This

also, any TRUE beats the Chilltec

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revstar20 View Post
I cant decide on what cooler to get im scared of the copper true because the weight is to much 2KG **** itt could tear my motherboard appart , compare it to the weight for a thermalright ultra 120 extreme 790grams and i have read a number of articles and benchmarks with this cooler and it performs really well. Is the difference between the copper true and the ultra extreme that much ? Also should i use the paste that comes with the cooler or buy artic silver which i heard is pretty good but takes years to set

Tear your motherboard apart? Which planet do you live on Earth or Mars.

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
The copper performs slightly better, but a standard TRUE is nothing to shake a stick at.

If you are afraid of the weight on the copper TRUE, then just buy a normal one.

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
I have the copper TRUE and nothing to be scared about. It has been in my system for months and nothing has torn off. When I pulled my system apart over the weekend, I thought maybe my motherboard would be warped a bit. Nope. Just like the day I put it in.
Still the cost difference isn't warranted via perfprmance. Same temps as my Ultra 120. Just looks damn cool.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
Tear your motherboard apart? Which planet do you live on Earth or Mars.
mars has less gravity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.