Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...627&CatId=1079

I dont like tigerdirect but thats the cheapest I can find the ultra x-connect titanium green

I was just wondering... I hear so much bad stuff about them and a lot of people around here are really saying theyre not worth it... but a lot of other people use them and swear by them and many of the reviews I read show them to be super stable so I was wondering if anyone has another opinion or can show me some real, stress testing, nonbiased reviews

Im just looking at this cause Id rather not spend $ 140 on the 520 watt ocz powerstream if this one will power everything Ive got and look good in the process
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im just trying to decide between ocz and ultra... Ive seen lots of people talk about the modstream being less stable than the powerstream but lots of reviews Ive found contradict that

Im choosing between
1. ocz powerstream 520 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-152&depa=0
2. ocz modstream 520 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-155&depa=0
3. ocz powerstream 420 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-150&depa=0
4. ocz modstream 450 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-154&depa=0
5. ultra x-connect 500 watt - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...627&CatId=1079

of course Id like to go with 5 mainly because of price... Id take a small hit in wattage for the savings... the x-connect also looks awesome... I dont even know if any of those would fit into my case very well... guess Ill be debating this one for a while
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
Im just trying to decide between ocz and ultra... Ive seen lots of people talk about the modstream being less stable than the powerstream but lots of reviews Ive found contradict that

Im choosing between
1. ocz powerstream 520 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-152&depa=0
2. ocz modstream 520 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-155&depa=0
3. ocz powerstream 420 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-150&depa=0
4. ocz modstream 450 watt - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-154&depa=0
5. ultra x-connect 500 watt - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...627&CatId=1079

of course Id like to go with 5 mainly because of price... Id take a small hit in wattage for the savings... the x-connect also looks awesome... I dont even know if any of those would fit into my case very well... guess Ill be debating this one for a while

Avoid the modstreams if you can. They may be made by OCZ but they are nowhere near the quality/stability of their powerstream range.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
I don't find there is aything wrong with these X-connects. I switched from a no-name psu to an X-connect and gained a 300mhz OC..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
here is a screen shot of my x-connect voltages in graph form.
one thing I must note thoe. Ive actualy monitored my 12v rail w/ a digital multimeter and it actualy runs 0.10 volts less than what gets reported in windows.
LL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver
here is a screen shot of my x-connect voltages in graph form.
one thing I must note thoe. Ive actualy monitored my 12v rail w/ a digital multimeter and it actualy runs 0.10 volts less than what gets reported in windows.
But even .10 volts undervolted and its still over 12 V...just something to keep in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Xavier1421

But even .10 volts undervolted and its still over 12 V...just something to keep in mind.

true, but well with in spec. I was a little off on how much lower the 12v rail is thoe.
12.37-12.38v idle and at full load it drops to 12.24-12.26v
that puts it right at 3% over, and IMOP thats not bad.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
642 Posts
i own one DO DONT Buy it i own the green one that you want it runs hot as hell and my +12 is at +12.48 and my +5 goes from +4.93-5.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow'puter
On mine, MBM5 reports 11.92v and Everest 12.20v.

Which one to believe? (rethorical)
nether. only way to know your correct voltages is to measuer w/ a volt meter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
after reading this - http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1014 ... Ill never use an x-connect...


ironic part is, the psu that just died on you xms is the one that won... maybe its not the exact model but its one of the companys 480s
I've had mine for about 4 months now and I have no complaints... Stable overclock, looks great, minimal voltage fluctuation. The voltage being too high??? Maybe on a stock setup, but when you're running 2.9v on the memory 1.8vcore, 1.8 chipset voltage, a 6800, 2 HD's, 4 cathodes, a bunch of 120mm fans, the voltage problem gets taken care of... I dont care what any reviews says, I took the risk and worked out verywell for me.

I swear by my XCONNECT... If I ever upgrade, it will be to a PC POWER AND COOLING.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats exactly my point... I look at reviews with a mouthful of salt... I just find it odd that so many people swear that x-connects are crap and then others wouldnt choose anything else
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
thats exactly my point... I look at reviews with a mouthful of salt... I just find it odd that so many people swear that x-connects are crap and then others wouldnt choose anything else
Yeah, it's just one of those things. I was just telling you my personal experience, and if it was crap I would have replace it already. If you dont like taking risks then ANTEC, OZC, ENERMAX are all backed by plenty of reviews and are very reputable companies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well for one it shouldnt have to be a risk... thats just a bad thing to say... lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Okay, about voltages being too high...
I just ran everest to compare the voltages to asus probe.
I'm getting:
+3.3V: 3.28 (both)
+5V: 5.01
+12V: 11.65
+5V Standby: 4.95
Now the only one thats over is the +5V rail, but thats off by barely anything... maybe they got a crappy version for the review because they don't like Ultra... lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
So to add insult to injury, now that I can't log in into my Win Xp machine, I get the addedd bonus of a BSOD that says "Internal Power Error". Go figure, here I was, defending the X Connect.

But as it happens, that machine is a dual boot with Linux, which starts without a hitch.

So what is it? Bad PSU or bad OS? (my money is in the OS).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
after reading this - http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1014 ... Ill never use an x-connect...


ironic part is, the psu that just died on you xms is the one that won... maybe its not the exact model but its one of the companys 480s
alot of people have seen that review along w/ the maximumPC one, and posted them all over the place. ultra is currently examining the psu's to see what the problem was.

fact of the matter is Ive noticed when it comes to the Ultras eather you like em and praise em , or you hate em and try to bash them into the ground.

and the fact that XMS's tagan died on him proves a very good point. even a psu company that is praised as one of the best can send out a bad unit.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top