Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, needless to say. Just bought a XFX Mobo 3-Way SLI, had that RMA'd thinking it was that. Problem was, the computer would turn on, then just shut down for no reason. Talked to XFX again, they said it sounds like the CPU or PSU. CPU is an E8400 less then a year old (works on my previous system no problems), PSU is the Ultra X4 1200-Watt. So, talked to Ultra, they said to RMA the PSU. So, with all this, does that sound like the PSU not working properly? Suggestions before I RMA this PSU?

Note: List of New Components: Memory (8GB - OCZ SLI-Ready 800MHz), 2 x 9500GT 1GB, 640GB Caviar Black.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What happened when the pc powered on. Did you get past post or did nothing happen before it powered off. Seems to me like its a motherboard issue, probably because I don't trust xfx =]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, everything else works as I am using it right now in on my previous Mobo & PSU (old 20 Pin). The only thing I can think of is a Mobo or PSU issue. The Mobo was RMS'd already once and problem is still there. PSU is the next choice I would think.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just powered off before the POST. It would Post once, then when in Windows, the power would shut off. Then you would not be able to get it past POST. This is the second Mobo now.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Since you already RMA'd the mobo, I highly recommend you take advantage of the warranty on the Ultra and RMA it as well. At least this way, through process of elimination, you can narrow your problem down. I do however suspect the PSU. This is just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The only XFX motherboard I had had problems posting and would just decide not to power on sometimes. It wasn't my psu as it was the one I'm using now. It might be your psu though. Only way to know is to try get hold of another pc to test it on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaninja
View Post

Since you already RMA'd the mobo, I highly recommend you take advantage of the warranty on the Ultra and RMA it as well. At least this way, through process of elimination, you can narrow your problem down. I do however suspect the PSU. This is just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

I was thinking that too. Already RMA'd the Mobo once. PSU is next. Just I hate to have to pay for a new one until Tiger receives this one. Wonder if I can get my business contact there to hold the return until they get this one first. Will take longer, but I can deal with the wait as long as my old parts still work. I so want to OC this E8400 out. My Conroe board just sucks for it as I can't get it past 3.23GHz or the Video Card (PCI-E) will crap out. LOL

·
Registered
579 Posts
Have you thought of getting a different brand or model of PSU or are you going to stick it out with the Ultra?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Some people are saying to stay far away from the 1200W Ultra X4. Infact, i've decided to ship mine back without opening the box. I went with this the 1000W Corsair instead, which seems to be better in every way.

The Ultra X4 is pretty new, is it to late to get a refund?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I will RMA it once, if that does not improve the problem, I will try to return it and get a different PSU. Never had problems with Ultra thus far. First one to be exact. Have used them alot in the past. Maybe just a bad seed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wolf noted sloppy build, horrible efficiency, weak +12V rail power for a 1200W PSU, and inadequate overtemp shutdown. Here is his full review. It does do a lot of things right though......but failing to meet it's own efficiency numbers and failing to meet 80Plus efficiency numbers is pretty bad.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=174

Hopefully the replacement you get is wicked awesome and gives you years of trouble free performance.

Cheers,
K

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ugh, dont tell me you didnt see this coming but really, another cat with a 1000 + W psu?Not trying to troll you here but really, do you run the FBI's supercomputer in your backroom off this powersupply? Thats all your going to need that PSU for so get with the program and spend your money elsewhere, like other reliable hardware. I suggest RMA'ing your current overkill and selling it off, proceeding that, buy your self a nice reliable setup, much like your own give or take some silly choices such as the severely underpowered dual card setup with a 3way sli board? Replace your PSU with something like a 800 W model at the very maximum.

Good luck.

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
Ultra is really easy to RMA with.
You get the option of sending your PUS and waiting, or them charging and sending, then you sending, and them doing a charge-back.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atennisplayah
View Post

Ugh, dont tell me you didnt see this coming but really, another cat with a 1000 + W psu?Not trying to troll you here but really, do you run the FBI's supercomputer in your backroom off this powersupply? Thats all your going to need that PSU for so get with the program and spend your money elsewhere, like other reliable hardware. I suggest RMA'ing your current overkill and selling it off, proceeding that, buy your self a nice reliable setup, much like your own give or take some silly choices such as the severely underpowered dual card setup with a 3way sli board? Replace your PSU with something like a 800 W model at the very maximum.

Good luck.

While i wouldnt have quite worded it this way exactly, this is more or less what i planned to say. A nice corsair, seasonic, or pc power and cooling 800w would be WAY more then enough and sort of off topic but why oh why would you get 2x9500gts?

Anyhow i see no reason not to try to atleast RMA the Ultra PSU if you are against replacing it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens View Post
While i wouldnt have quite worded it this way exactly, this is more or less what i planned to say. A nice corsair, seasonic, or pc power and cooling 800w would be WAY more then enough and sort of off topic but why oh why would you get 2x9500gts?

Anyhow i see no reason not to try to atleast RMA the Ultra PSU if you are against replacing it.
I see both your points. First the 9500GT's are just temp. They will be sold off later for 3 x 285's or 295's. I was thinking more 1200-Watt for future upgrades. I will RMA this one once. If still bad on return, then will take the advice and get a Corsair 800 - 1000 Watt. I would like it to be modular. I do have to say, this group is Great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts