Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on which is the better choice will be greatly appreciated. Mainly used to listen to dnb/ trance etc, which isolates sound better and has better portability? And how do they compare to the Focal Spirit One?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierhacking View Post

Any advice on which is the better choice will be greatly appreciated. Mainly used to listen to dnb/ trance etc, which isolates sound better and has better portability? And how do they compare to the Focal Spirit One?
The HFI 780 is for rock. Pro 900 is for bassy stuff. No idea on focal spirit. The Pro 900 is a superior can.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Quote:

And in terms of portability, is the Pro 900 portable?
Pretty much no...because the Pro 900 does benefit a bit from amplification and the cups are on the large side. Don't get me wrong, they do fold and the cups do rotate but it's still a full sized headphone that you should use while stationary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in terms of portability you would recommend the HFI 780 over the PRO 900?
How does the 780 perform compared to the Sennheiser HD 25- 1 II by the way? These are also very portable headphones, it seems.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I own the Pro 900s, and I'll say this: Although they are better off staying put, taking them on the go isn't too much of a hassle. The rest depends on what you're using to drive them.

As far as the genres you listed are concerned, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better choice than the Pro 900s. They kill it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be driving them straight off of my iPod, which is where the problem comes in ( I think). Is the sound quality still very good straight from an iPod?
And even if the portability is acceptable, are the cans very big? I just need to be sure they look casual and not like giant headphones! Could you tell me the diameter of the cans?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well I'm at work, and they aren't with me. But yeah, they're definitely big. You'll look like a major nerd.
tongue.gif

As for playing music from an iPod, I wouldn't really have a good answer.

I use them with my HTC Thunderbolt, and although the bass is lacking, they still sound decent. They definitely deserve an amp, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, thats what I was afraid of, that they would look beyond normal in public, which is pretty much the only place I will be using these headphones. I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD 25- 1 II.
Is there any very portable amp you would recommend I use? I was looking at the Fiio E6, but I do not know how good it is..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Honestly, amps aren't my specialty, as I haven't been able to afford one yet.

What I can say, however, is that a lot of people like the Fiio's for the price.

Maybe someone else here can chime in with a little better help?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't have the E6 or E11 but I do have the E5 which is very similar to the E6 and the e17 which is in a sense similar. But are amping and bass beasts. If you want bass, go for an E11, plus it can also serve for future purposes as that thing will drive many cans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it actually improve sound quality? I think the issue is that all the songs I listen to are mp3, 256 kbps. Will I still be able to tell an improvement in this case?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:

Does it actually improve sound quality? I think the issue is that all the songs I listen to are mp3, 256 kbps. Will I still be able to tell an improvement in this case?
You can only if the tracks you are using have not been encoded properly or from a legit straight from CD or other lossless diretly supplied from producer medium.

You can easily make some crappy 128kbps copy 320kbps.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The two best portable over the head headphones for straight through a portable are the Beyerdynamic 1350s and the Sennheiser HD25s. Two on-the-ear designed headphones that are easy to drive and dominate for un-amplified listening. Plux, they are built really well, so don't worry about throwing them into your backpack or on a subway seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts