• Zebra

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Braindead
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN,

Got something really special in store for you guys!

The details are still being smoothed out, but I thought I'd get you guys to help me decide a few things first.

First of all, I've got no idea what to name this build. The build will be a very minimalist, clean, sleek design, involving aluminium and wood. Any help here would be great.

However, the main thing I'm looking for help with is choosing a type a colour of wood to use with this build.

Here are some pictures for you guys.

A shot of all the options lined up.

White Oak.

Bubinga.

Ebony.

Zebra.

They're the options available to me. Personally, I like Ebony, but I thought I'd throw this up to see what you guys think.

Cheers guys, look forward to updates!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Lol, vote on wood...

·
Braindead
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Interesting to see 50% of the votes are Ebony, but a few of the replies were for Bubinga and Zebra! I saw Zebra being the least popular.

Doing my homework on Auto CAD so I can get a really accurate model done, however, I'm also looking to work with someone experienced in 3D to get a more accurate model going. If you're interested in a collaborated design effort, please contact me.

Cheers guys!

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
or get some inexpensive finish grade wood and make your own stain (which is easy) and stain the wood to whatever color you want. thats what I did on my current project...

2 x 7$ sheets of 3/4" plywood from home depot, cut, edge sealed, sanded, custom stained, and poly urethaned (3 coats, light sand in between coats) (the parts are dry in this pic)

more pics in project linked in sig

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Zebra is pretty and flashy, Ebony is more classical. Both are expensive even as veneer. If it's just a color you want use stain and a less expensive wood. If it's the grain and natural appearance you want you could use veneer with thin trim of solid wood.

Why not use several different species in a thematic way? Enlay borders or outlines or whatever you like.

Bubinga is very hard. If you are looking for durability that would be the one. I like them all...and depending on how you use wood in your design they all would work...can't decide.

·
Braindead
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodycount
View Post

Zebra

Hardwood flooring guy here i hope i can help

In a wood flooring related forum my name is..

TeakDreams

Your welcome to it for your rig if you like

Brazilian Rosewood
*SNIP*

Quilted Birds eye Maple

*SNIP*

Quilted Maple

*SNIP*

more ideas here..

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardw...tic_woods.html

Hope some of it will help you in your choices

Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

or get some inexpensive finish grade wood and make your own stain (which is easy) and stain the wood to whatever color you want. thats what I did on my current project...

2 x 7$ sheets of 3/4" plywood from home depot, cut, edge sealed, sanded, custom stained, and poly urethaned (3 coats, light sand in between coats) (the parts are dry in this pic)

more pics in project linked in sig

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

Zebra is pretty and flashy, Ebony is more classical. Both are expensive even as veneer. If it's just a color you want use stain and a less expensive wood. If it's the grain and natural appearance you want you could use veneer with thin trim of solid wood.

Why not use several different species in a thematic way? Enlay borders or outlines or whatever you like.

Bubinga is very hard. If you are looking for durability that would be the one. I like them all...and depending on how you use wood in your design they all would work...can't decide.

I thought I'd reply to this as one post, because I'd like to share the beauty of what I'm doing here with you guys.

This product I've sourced I can get relatively cheap, with any of these 4 wood veneers on it. I can get the product in large quantities, and after ironing out my own successful prototype, would love to be able to craft custom cases for people that want them.

The product suits cases perfectly, because you get all the benefits of aluminum, with the added benefit of a classy looking wood on the outside. I can also get the sheets ordered to size and laser cut. This is pretty ideal, because I know a lot of people that want that classy wood look, but either can't work with wood, or don't like the fact that it's bulky, and can possibly combust.

The internal frame will be constructed from aluminum, and that is what I'm tackling at the moment. Along with being relatively in-expensive to powder coat, I can apply a number of automotive grade paints, with custom effects.

As you can see, the plans I have at hand are on a large scale, but I know the work will pay off, especially If I have the honour of creating a few custom cases for people.

Funnily enough, this idea spawned when I got an old cube server case from a guy in Sydney. At first I was just going to clad the case in the product, and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to go all out and design a custom case.

Thanks for all the posts so far! I really appreciate the help people are giving me, and feel pretty honoured to see CR and CD in here, I absolutely worship the work you guys do!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0isonapple View Post
...I'm also looking to work with someone experienced in 3D to get a more accurate model going. If you're interested in a collaborated design effort, please contact me.
If you still need someone for modeling, I've been using 3ds Max for a few years, I could help you out if needed.

·
Braindead
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, thought I'd throw in a post. Just letting you know that model progress is coming along nicely, though, getting a case ironed out for actual production is a harder task than it seems.

Tom, i'll send you a PM shortly.

Thanks again for the interest!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts