Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying for three days now to connect my two comps. Both have WinXP Pro, one has one NIC while the other has two onboard ones. I connect the two and run the network setup wizard but Only the one with the two NICs says it's connected while the other says it has limited or no connectivity. I've also tried manually setting the IPs, subnet and all that crap and the two comps say they're connected but they don't actually appear and I can't ping one with the other. I'm losing hope, I have no clue what to do.

Here's what I get in ipconfig

The main comp with the internet connection:

The other comp... I can't get a print screen from since it has no connection whatsoever. So here's what's written:

Windows IP configuration

Host name : dellden
Primary dns suffix:
Node type: unknown
IP routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Desccription: 3Com etherlink XL 10/100 PCI etc.
Physical address: 00-04-76-9B-D4-90
Dhcp enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.243.119
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Please help me figure this out!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are you trying to use "internet connection sharing"? If so, something's not working right. If not, then proceed below:

169.254.0.0 is not a valid IP address (it's a "network address"). You are trying to get IP addresses from DHCP, which you don't have. Go into the TCP/IP properties for each computer, and manually set the IP addresses.

Comp1: 192.168.1.10
Comp2: 192.168.1.11

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: try 192.168.1.1 (won't really do anything)
DNS server: same deal as default gateway

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to have internet sharing and general file sharing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm jsut using a straight crossover cable between the two.

Ok, I've done what you said and both say they are connected but comp 1 is the only one sending packets, comp 2 shows that it's receiving something but it is not sending anything and comp 1 isnt showing anything received.

PS: now my main internet connection on comp 1 is cutting out, I had to disable the connection to comp 2 to make it work again

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm not trying to be a punk, but are you opposed to using a cheap wired router? It would be SO much easier.

Anyway, did you go through the internet connection sharing wizard on the NIC that the broadband connection is plugged into? It should have assigned an 192.168.x.x address to the second NIC, then turned on a DHCP server.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might yet, but I had the cable so I wanted to try connecting them.

I tried the wizard and I said which one had the connection to the internet and which one had the connection to the other comp but it didn't work. The comp with 2 NICs said it was connected and the other said it had little or no connectivity.

After having tried what you said earlier, I'm able to ping one computer and the other will show incoming packets but it doesn't echo the ping so the comp that sent it shows 100% loss. This works this way with both comps.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, both those firewalls concerned are down and I have no others.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are positive that you have a crossover cable?

One side:
white/orange
orange
white/green
blue
white/blue
green
white/brown
brown

Other side:
white/green
green
white/orange
blue
white/blue
orange
white/brown
brown

Also, make sure all the copper is pushed to the end of the RJ-45 connector

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check and make sure the cable is crossed correctly. I had problems with that once and i have never been able to get two computers together on xp with a cross cable anyways i think they are right spending 20 bucks on a router or a swith would be easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im having similar issues however. Currently have a wireless network setup. PC1 is connected with PCI wireless adapter. I want to connect the 2 with a crossover cable as well but keep running into issues. I was trying not to have to buy another pci wireless adapter....60bux id rather not spend because im not going to be using wireless lan after about 4 months here. I was trying to get internet and mainly file sharing between PC1 and PC2 but i just cant get it to happen. I do have an extra wired 4 port cable/dsl router but i dont see how that would help me. ANyone know how i can make this work connect 2 PCs with one already connected to wireless network and share internet and files.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.