Overclock.net banner

Unable to connect 2 computers with crossover

659 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Justshoe
I've been trying for three days now to connect my two comps. Both have WinXP Pro, one has one NIC while the other has two onboard ones. I connect the two and run the network setup wizard but Only the one with the two NICs says it's connected while the other says it has limited or no connectivity. I've also tried manually setting the IPs, subnet and all that crap and the two comps say they're connected but they don't actually appear and I can't ping one with the other. I'm losing hope, I have no clue what to do.

Here's what I get in ipconfig

The main comp with the internet connection:

The other comp... I can't get a print screen from since it has no connection whatsoever. So here's what's written:

Windows IP configuration

Host name : dellden
Primary dns suffix:
Node type: unknown
IP routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Desccription: 3Com etherlink XL 10/100 PCI etc.
Physical address: 00-04-76-9B-D4-90
Dhcp enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration enabled: yes
Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.243.119
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Please help me figure this out!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Check and make sure the cable is crossed correctly. I had problems with that once and i have never been able to get two computers together on xp with a cross cable anyways i think they are right spending 20 bucks on a router or a swith would be easier.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.