Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya. It's been a wile since I've posted here; let alone a thread of my own.

(Everything is referring to my sig rig

Yesterday I received my new SSD in the mail.
I needed to clean my computer hardware so the first thing I did was take everything apart and dusted it off, then reinstalled the hardware.
Everything seemed to be fine so I proceeded to install windows 7 onto the SSD.
As soon as that was finished, I used the CD that came with my Mobo to install the drivers which included the chipset, audio, USB 3.0 and LAN drivers.

all the other drivers worked fine, but when I got to the LAN drivers, it gives me this error
Quote:
the realtek network controller was not found.
if deep sleep mode is enabled please plug the cable
Ive tried reinstalling the drivers, installing updated drivers from the ASUS website, reseting CMOS, reinstalling the DRAM stick, shifting the ram sticks to different slots, reseting BIOS defaults..

The network adapter does not show up in the device manager, not even as a hidden device.

What worries me the most is that I also tried to see if it still works on my old drive which still contains my old installation of windows, and I'm getting the same problem.. Is it at all possible that I fried my network adapter some how? o_O this seems very unlikely to me.. but what else is there?

currently I am only able to access internet on this computer via tethering my phone to it.

HALP

EDIT: I also did several searches online to see if i could find someone with the same problem
I found TONES, but also several different methods of fixing (listed above) but none of them seem to work for me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
It's possible that you hit the mobo with static electricity when you took it apart but most likely the board has a failure. It seems to me that you have already tried everything that I would have so that doesn't leave many options. Especially since the old OS install fails to recognize it either. My next move would be a $20 add-in NIC card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
somthing like this?

I was really hoping to get this resolved without spending any money since I need to be super economic right now. So I'm open to anyone elses suggestions.

but if i really do have to buy a network card, is it worth it to get a more expensive one for whatever reason???

my ISP isn't very fast so Im sure a cheapo card would work fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
wish I could be more helpful but it sounds like you have covered all the bases. I usually keep spare parts around for just such an occasion. If you're not running a 100 mb tier then you can get by just fine with a 10/100 nic card. No need for a gigabit card on a 30 mb or less Inet package. i recommend an Intel card so win 7 will automatically install it. If you lived in The States I'd just mail you one, i have 5 or 6 in my box of stuff...

edit. that would work just fine
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,295 Posts
It is pretty damn common for on-board NICs to fail, it honestly sounds like that might be the case.

What I would do is use another system to download the latest drivers for the NIC to a USB Flash drive and then try to install them. If that doesn't work you very well could have a situation of a dead network adapter, which isn't unheard of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It is pretty damn common for on-board NICs to fail, it honestly sounds like that might be the case.

What I would do is use another system to download the latest drivers for the NIC to a USB Flash drive and then try to install them. If that doesn't work you very well could have a situation of a dead network adapter, which isn't unheard of.
Is there a purpose to using another computer + USB; other than the lack of internet access on the computer in question?
Cause I've already attempted installing the latest drivers which I downloaded VIA tethering my phone to the computer (the only way I can access the net on this PC right now)

Also is it really that uncommon for the onboard hardware to fail?
I always just kinda figured that if one onboard device failed, the whole mobo would be screwed up in some way. Or at least it would give a more specific error code that would imply that it's broken/malfunctioned on a hardware level (rather than software/driver error)
If they commonly fail that actually makes me feel a little bit better, cause I am assuming that you mean they commonly fail without causing the rest of the board to fail. (my main concern was that bit by bit my mobo would begin breaking down)
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

Is there a purpose to using another computer + USB; other than the lack of internet access on the computer in question?
Cause I've already attempted installing the latest drivers which I downloaded VIA tethering my phone to the computer (the only way I can access the net on this PC right now)

Also is it really that uncommon for the onboard hardware to fail?
I always just kinda figured that if one onboard device failed, the whole mobo would be screwed up in some way. Or at least it would give a more specific error code that would imply that it's broken/malfunctioned on a hardware level (rather than software/driver error)
If they commonly fail that actually makes me feel a little bit better, cause I am assuming that you mean they commonly fail without causing the rest of the board to fail. (my main concern was that bit by bit my mobo would begin breaking down)
Drivers via another system and USB was just due to the lack of connectivity on the system. Using your phone as you did accomplished the same thing.

So, if that is the case, and the system still doesn't even see it with new drivers, probably a dead NIC. That or you can do a full system OS installation cleanly and see if that fixes it.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In all honesty I think my motherboard is slowly dying.
Im also starting to get issues where my system wont POST untill several hard resets/CMOS clearings have been done.

I got the NIC card and it worked exactly as intended, so no more tethering (WOO HOO ).
I guess that sorta resolves this thread, though I still dont know what exactly happened to the onboard NIC and if it is a sign of future hardware failure.

I hope not.. I do NOT want to have to spend money on another AM3(+) mobo. My intention is to not replace it untill I am ready (financially) to upgrade to intel. Perhaps I can just settle with a 2500k i5 and mobo used. (or another generation above it depending on prices)

and sorry guys for not posting earlier, heh.
 

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Maybe it's not a dying NIC but problem with general system stability.
Run memtest86 and give it 2-3 runs.About 20min for my system. You have half the ram so probaly ~10min/pass
Try getting back to stock settings and see if it helps.
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

In all honesty I think my motherboard is slowly dying.
Im also starting to get issues where my system wont POST untill several hard resets/CMOS clearings have been done.

I got the NIC card and it worked exactly as intended, so no more tethering (WOO HOO ).
I guess that sorta resolves this thread, though I still dont know what exactly happened to the onboard NIC and if it is a sign of future hardware failure.

I hope not.. I do NOT want to have to spend money on another AM3(+) mobo. My intention is to not replace it untill I am ready (financially) to upgrade to intel. Perhaps I can just settle with a 2500k i5 and mobo used. (or another generation above it depending on prices)

and sorry guys for not posting earlier, heh.
A motherboard that won't even POST is a sign of a motherboard dying, or in old school boards the CMOS battery going dead. Now it POSTING, giving its beep error, and then not booting could mean something entirely different. However, a system not even POSTING is a sign of impending death usually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

A motherboard that won't even POST is a sign of a motherboard dying, or in old school boards the CMOS battery going dead. Now it POSTING, giving its beep error, and then not butting could mean something entirely different. However, a system not even POSTING is a sign of impending death usually.
That's what I suspected and have been afraid of :/

Incase I didn't specify earlier; I also attempted to boot with default bios settings but the POST problem remains the exact same.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top