Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a few hundred dollars worth of pending payments on my card. someone in FL is making all this charges. I called to cancel two of the many charges that were made.

Should I just report my card as stolen? Because I cant call customer service of bank of america until 7AM~10PM for customer service. Its 1:30AM now. What should I do in the meantime?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Report it as stolen so they can't use it then discuss with your card company that your card has been cloned

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Definitely, when you report it stolen it then you won't have to worry about any more charges. If anything they'll just send you a new card in 5 business days. I'd rather do that then go through the hassle of saying I didn't order this this and that.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

Report it as stolen so they can't use it then discuss with your card company that your card has been cloned

how does someone in FL clone my card?

Anyways, I did get in contact with BOA and went over the unauthorized payments. They blocked my old card immediately and they're mailing me a new one. So I should be good, right?

They were all pending payments and I was able to cancel everything through BOA.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I just reported a few fraudulent charges to BOA this morning. Instead of waiting for my card I decided to pick a new one up at the branch closest to me. It should allow me to access my funds instead of waiting 7-10 business days for a new card.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My debit card was stolen, i contacted boa and after a week or so of them doing whatever they do, i had to pay back the $219 that someone racked up on it.

(AP) - It could be the beginning of the end of overdrawn accounts linked to debit cards.
Bank of America customers will soon be unable to spend more than they have in such accounts in a step that may become a common move ahead of new regulations limiting overdraft fees.
Rules set by the Federal Reserve that will ban banks from charging such fees, without first getting permission from the customer, are set to take effect July 1.
But Bank of America is going a step further than the regulations require. It will simply no longer allow debit card purchases to go through if there isn't enough money in the account.
For ATM transactions, customers who try to withdraw more than their balance will have to agree to pay a $35 overdraft fee before they can get the money.

Just read this on a local news station website.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownSCL
View Post

My debit card was stolen, i contacted boa and after a week or so of them doing whatever they do, i had to pay back the $219 that someone racked up on it.

(AP) - It could be the beginning of the end of overdrawn accounts linked to debit cards.
Bank of America customers will soon be unable to spend more than they have in such accounts in a step that may become a common move ahead of new regulations limiting overdraft fees.
Rules set by the Federal Reserve that will ban banks from charging such fees, without first getting permission from the customer, are set to take effect July 1.
But Bank of America is going a step further than the regulations require. It will simply no longer allow debit card purchases to go through if there isn’t enough money in the account.
For ATM transactions, customers who try to withdraw more than their balance will have to agree to pay a $35 overdraft fee before they can get the money.

Just read this on a local news station website.

sucks dude. I thought everything was resolved for me but they still charged my card on some instances up to 100 bucks. going to call them first thing in the morning to sort this out. this is BS

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calavera View Post
sucks dude. I thought everything was resolved for me but they still charged my card on some instances up to 100 bucks. going to call them first thing in the morning to sort this out. this is BS

I would switch to Chase if they don't give you your money back, or at least threaten to. I was able to get a free $100 bucks when I opened up a student checking account with them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had the same thing happen last year. A guy used a clone of my card in Kansas to buy $400 in stuff from American Eagle and $400 at walmart. Thanksfully, I was with a credit union and was refunded 100% within 24 hours.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
http://consumers.creditnet.com/Libra....ccfaq_019.php

Quote:

The first step is to recruit an individual willing to participate in the scheme. Bartenders, wait staff or shop assistants are often prime targets because of the sheer volume of credit cards they handle.

Recruits are given a pocketsize device with a scanning slot, something that resembles a pager and can be worn on a belt. They are instructed to swipe customers' credit cards through the device. Because the process takes only a few seconds it can be done easily and inconspicuously without the customer or another employee noticing.

Swiping the credit card through the device copies the information held on the magnetic strip into memory. That information can subsequently be copied to a counterfeit card, complete with security holograms.

Alternatively, the information can be used to overwrite a stolen credit card which has become too hot to handle.

Do not underestimate the size of this problem. In the U.K. alone an astonishing $200m was spent with cloned credit cards in 2000. That's over $500,000 every single day!

Heres a good read about Cloning cards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts