Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 1 gig sticks of unbuffered ddr2 667 Buffalo ram. I would like to replace these but is it worth it for my computer? I have a total of 4 gigs of these unbuffered ram sticks but i chose to only put in 2 gigs for now.

Do u think i should replace these with 2 gigs of 800mhz buffered ram, or should i just put in 4 gigs of 667mhz unbuffered ram?

Also, would it be a bad idea to add the extra 667 mhz rams in addition to the 800 mhz rams on the same motherboard?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Buffered memory is designed and made for servers, networking equipments and the like. It requires a mobo that supports buffered memory. Buffered memory is not needed unless you're utilizing more than 8GB where a server often needs 16GB or more.

I'd recommend you to use 2GB(2x1GB) DDR2-800 sticks instead of mixing them with 667 because the speed will be dialed down to 667 regardless of the faster 800 sticks being present. Unless, of course, those 667 sticks you got have high-end chips and can run at 800MHz+. As far as having 4GB, it can be debateable. However, without a 64-bit OS, you won't be able to use all 4GB. Instead, you'll have 2.5GB~3GB available.

In most cases, 2GB of 800 is perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts