Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently updated my MoBo and CPU to the latest 6700k and played around a bit with overclocking.

I splurged this time around and got myself a NH-D15. Maybe I was taken in with legends of Noctua's amazing cooling abilities, but I expected a bit better.

My chip runs 4.6Ghz @ 1.35v, but the temps running 8 hours of prime95 peaked in the 90s.

I'm not running at exceptionally high clock speeds or voltage, so I'm wondering if there's something wrong, or if I just got a hot chip.

One possible problem, when the fan speed ratchets up, somewhere past 70C, there's a whining that comes from the fan. I don't know if it's performing correctly (or how to check for that matter.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

My Setup

20160516_060710.jpg 1088k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
Have you tried running a stress test that is more compatible with your CPU, and doesn't cause overvolting on some boards? AIDA64, OCCT, x264, etc? That would be a good starting point to see if the issue is with the cooler or simply test compatibility.

·
Iconoclast
30,431 Posts
90s C is not unusual for a 4.6GHz 6700k in any recent version of Prime95 with an NHD-15. However, the pull configuration you have going on is not ideal either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, It's oriented this way because I didn't want to be pushing hot air off the CPU into the GPU's radiator.

Do you think it would be a better configuration to turn it to push out the back, and push through the GPU's radiator?

In most of my use, the GPU is going to be the hot spot.

·
Sir Loin
773 Posts
what case is this?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I cant tell the direction CPU air is going. Up or down? If down, GPU is blocking exhaust. Should blow upwards. Hot air rises. I don't have experience with AIO water solutions so I don't know how well their heat capacity is. My coolant temperature rises by 5C in a full system stress load (5960x prime95 + gtx 980 with power limit bios mod, about 300 watts each, kill-a-watt increases from 130 watts to 850 watts).

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
First off, Good replys!
thumb.gif

@blade061188

I think you fell for the Noc legend.
helpinghand.gif
That said, NH-D15 is one of the very best. One of a very select few, although the new Alpenfohn Olymp seems to be treading lightly on other top coolers heads. (1-3c better in reviews).

Peak temp is spike readings, and spikes on 6700K are significantly higher than normal peak load temp, easily 8-11c, sometimes even more. I've seen spikes 15c above average 100% load temps.

While 4.6 GHz is not extreme, 1.35 volts is not chicken feed. Stock mine is 1.208-1.272v at 24-54c

At what temp do cooler fans reach maximum rpm? I would set the temp to rpm curve so fans peak at about 65c and work from there. What speed are case fans running? I always setup my systems so case fans cycle like component fans. This means case airflow changes along with component demand/use of airflow.
wink.gif

Cooler orientation will work, and while I can't tell for sure which direction fans are mounted, both back and top are exhaust so I'm assuming cooer are pull / pull (flowing up).

you can load the image file so it shows in your post. Click on the picture of mountains (5th from right in reply window) and load your image url.

·
Iconoclast
30,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateneth View Post

Hot air rises.
As irrelevant as cold air sinking when it comes to forced air convection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I can't tell for sure which direction fans are mounted, both back and top are exhaust so I'm assuming cooer are pull / pull
You can see one of the lower fan's hub supports, and that's always the back of the fan on these, so the bottom fan at least is blowing up. I'm assuming the top one is oriented the same way; it's possible that they are pointing at each other, but not likely.

My concern with is that very little flow is going to be moving through the lower fin stack with the fans in that orientation and I would personally have a single fan pushing air through each stack, meaning that in this case, I'd remove the top case fan, and flip the orientation of the heatsink fans. This would almost certainly keep the heatsink and the GPU slightly cooler.

Both of his GPU radiators are already exhaust.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

As irrelevant as cold air sinking when it comes to forced air convection.
You can see one of the lower fan's hub supports, and that's always the back of the fan on these, so the bottom fan at least is blowing up. I'm assuming the top one is oriented the same way; it's possible that they are pointing at each other, but not likely.

My concern with is that very little flow is going to be moving through the lower fin stack with the fans in that orientation and I would personally have a single fan pushing air through each stack, meaning that in this case, I'd remove the top case fan, and flip the orientation of the heatsink fans. This would almost certainly keep the heatsink and the GPU slightly cooler.

Both of his GPU radiators are already exhaust.
Exactly spot on with the 'hot air rising' garbage.
thumb.gif

I can guess from the image fans are mounts correctly, but I cannot see the 'hub supports' clearly enough to make a positive identification.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's hard to tell from the pic how much room there is between back of GPU and cooler. I would want 25 - 30mm minimum.

I have my doubts about using top as intake. Generally top intake does not work very well. Hot air is leaking out of other top vents combined with heated back exhaust generally flowing up and over top (especially if case sets under desk or shelves) means top intake usually pulls in pre-heated air.

I would mount cooler front to back if at all possible, but D15 is 75mm from center CPU toward PCIe socket .. which is why I don't often recommend it. That and there are other coolers just as good with much better clearance and look better too.
wink.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't had a chance to play with it too much. I might try flipping the top to intake and pushing down through both heat sinks just to see what kind of a difference it would make.

I'll post an update when I can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts