Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some insight as to what may have happened. About 2 weeks ago I overclocked my I7 950 to 4Ghz. The overclock took perfectly and is running as expected. But I noticed after I overclocked the CPU, my ram has been underclocked. I didn't change any settings with the Ram in the BIOS. I currently have the Ram on XMP profile. Does anyone know how this happened and what I can do to keep my overclock on the CPU and run the Ram at stock speed? After the overclock my ram underclocked to 800Mhz.

P.S. If I undo the overclock, the Ram speed returns to normal. Thanks for any advice.

Current Setup: (yes i know it's a old pc)
I7 950
Asus P6x58d-e MOBO
2x 4Gb sticks rated @ 1333Mhz.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Background (simplified):

When any computer starts up the BIOS reads the SPD tables programmed into the memory. You can download and run CPU-Z to see the SPD tables in your memory. The BIOS then uses the memory speed and memory timings from the SPD tables that corresponds to the CPU speed that is set in the BIOS.

XMP profiles were developed to allow automatically setting not only memory speed and timings automatically, but also memory voltage. So, with the added ability to increase voltage, memory manufacturers could program SPD tables that run the memory even faster with the higher voltages available, and do that automatically too.

But the whole concept of XMP is faulted because the person writing the XMP SPD table for the memory has no idea what motherboard, CPU, what other peripherals are connected to your motherboard, nor even how many memory sticks you have installed. So, XMP profiles are just a guess at what memory overclock will work for the widest range of motherboards, CPUs, memory, and computer configurations. They have nothing to do with what your specific setup is. ... they're just a guess.

Do they work? Sometimes, sometimes not. And even if they do work it is unlikely they are the best settings for you particular setup.

Memory setting (with or without overclocking) is best done by manually setting the memory settings in the BIOS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I noticed the memory underclock, I tried to go in and manually set the profiles back to 1333, but it wouldn't give me the option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts