1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an underclock limit ?
I've set my card to 300/300 and called it sleep mode
It normally runs at 540/540.

I'm just scared that if I clock it at 100/100 weird stuff will start happening ..

While I'm waiting an extra 1-2 weeks for my Zalman cooler .. I plan to unplug my fan .. and I guess at 300/300 it shouldn't be so bad ..

Now that I have my Big Typhoon .. my quiet Tt power supply .. well the only thing making more than 19 dba in my rig is my vga fan ..

Anyways, even when I do get my zalman quiet cooler .. I still wish to know if theres a underclock limit
It's quite a funny question to ask lol .. since the name of the forum is overclock

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
are you just underclocking because you dont want the fan turned on? You can underclock too far and it can even crash, try it and see what happens, I had the same effect as clocking too high. As for the vid card being quiet, you can use "ati-tool" to set the fan speeds in a profile and when not under load it should be fine, just set the fan to run very slowly so there is still some movement of air around the case. The "omega" drivers are also good as they come with "ati tray tools" which will also allow profiles for fan speed.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
lol this is a rarety around here...lol i thought the same thing about a week or two ago,and it did the opposite i though it was... it caused my card to run hotter in 2D mode(browsing in windows and such,not in games), which i dont understand how... i had it clocked down to 300 from 350 and it was running about 10c hotter, then i set it back to stock and the heat prblem was gone...

i too am getting a zalman, i just ordered a vf700CU LED today off newegg...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess yours ran hotter at a lower clock because the fan adjusted itself.

As for me .. I tested 200/200 and after a few minutes of having random white artifacts in my screen, my pc crashed

As for slowing down the fan, I can't find where to do so in ATI Tools ...
I'm downloading omega drivers .. i'll see what I can do with that.

edit :
Ati Tray Tools tells my the my card doesn't have the fan hardware support ..

·
Registered
679 Posts
you could always get a zalman v700 and hook it up to a fan controller, that way you wouldn't worry about underclocking. I fear that underclocking anything is just as traumatic as OCing it...like running a car in first gear at freeway speeds...bad idea.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I dropped my 6800GT down as far as it would go from 400/1100 to like 90/120 and it caused instant artifacts that looked like flowing rivers of pixels going down my screen.

• Rep+
Reactions: timmay7

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, Love your avatar.

For some odd reason .. my card doesn't read temps or have any fan control in ati tools .. it does have the LM63 chip for temp readings ..

It's kinda weird.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
well, if its a quiet PC you want, a zalman vf700cu cools great and very silently on the 5V plug, and even better but louder (although i cant hear any, my 9500 goes over it
) on the 12v. Although zalman has some heatpipe-heatsink fanless stuff but its only reccomended up to a FX5700 Ultra.. maybe if you underclock you could get one of those

EDIT: And btw, Bigval, i love your avatar, cant stop laughing, rofl, been laughing for 15 mins ^^

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be getting the Zalman vf700cu ..
Any ideas why my LM63 chip doesn't read anything ?
I don't even get the options in rivatuner, ati tools, ati tray tools .. to see the X800GT's temps

Is it a product defect ? Should I return it ?

·
Registered
895 Posts
most posts i have seen for 800gt's people don't have issue with ATItool reading temps, if yours lm63 is bad i would return it, especially if you overclock cause you are risking a core burnout if you can't monitor temps and some cards need the temp monitoring to control fan speed. Maybe its an issue with your bios, have you flashed it at all? Whether you flashed it or not you can save your bios with ATItool and see if you can use Rabit to see if temp monitoring is enabled in your bios and if it is then that probaly means the lm63 is no good. If you can return your card for a straight refund maybe you can get a GTO instead, either an older 12 pipe model or one of the newer 16 pipe model everybody seems to be releasing now. good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts