Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Windows has just been loaded and I noticed it's running slow.
I checked my system setting and saw this:

CPU is 2.31ghz instead of 3.06ghz

(checked with CPUz just to be sure)

I was told it's called downclocking.

How do i cancel it? 'cause i'm not sure i want this.

thanks in advance,
chaim

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Please fill out your specs in the "user cp" in the top left of home page. It will help us to figure out your system problem.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaim

Hi everyone,

Windows has just been loaded and I noticed it's running slow.
I checked my system setting and saw this:

CPU is 2.31ghz instead of 3.06ghz

(checked with CPUz just to be sure)

I was told it's called downclocking.

How do i cancel it? 'cause i'm not sure i want this.

thanks in advance,
chaim

Fill out your specs

I suspect *maybe* you might be running a little hot and thermal throttling is kicking in. What HS do you have and is it seated well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I updated the specs i know.
I guess i don't know as much as i thought about PC's as i thought
is there a program that checks all of this for me?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Theres a few threads on this now, its called EIST [Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology] it lowers the multi on your CPU to reduce power usage and heat, should be a option in your bios to disable it.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iker0

Theres a few threads on this now, its called EIST [Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology] it lowers the multi on your CPU to reduce power usage and heat, should be a option in your bios to disable it.

Yeah, that's what I was getting around to.

Your cpu is being throttled down when it's not being used heavily

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome to the forums

If you're really on a laptop, then leave it on as it will save you some power and during load the speed will go up anyways so there's really no need to turn it off.

If it's desktop, saving power isn't really an argument so I'd turn it off

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem. I was looking around at Everest and I noticed i was running at ~39C and my CPU which is a 2.4, was running at 1.8
. I've clocked that up to 2.0, but I'm waiting for my XP-90 before going farther. Im on a home computer, no laptop. Since it should be running at 2.4 would it do any harm to get it there? Can you guys help me take off that EIST?

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaim

should i disable it?

If you are not overclocking leave it enabled as it will only save you power and reduce heat output. If you're overclocking, only disable it if it gives you trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi

Hey, I have the same problem. I was looking around at Everest and I noticed i was running at ~39C and my CPU which is a 2.4, was running at 1.8
. I've clocked that up to 2.0, but I'm waiting for my XP-90 before going farther. Im on a home computer, no laptop. Since it should be running at 2.4 would it do any harm to get it there? Can you guys help me take off that EIST?

On an Asus mb it is usually in the "cpu configuration" section under the "advanced" section in bios.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, found the problem. someone (I wonder who) played with my bios and changed CPU speed to manual. i changed it back to 3066mhz.

btw
My comp is not mobile, it's a regular PC

Thank you all for your help
Chaim

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
thanks Busa. One more quick question. I guess the CPU was meant to run at 2.4GhZ, so on stock air it shoudl be able to run that safely? Or should I just wait for the XP-90 to arrive?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts