Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an SSD basically a big USB stick minus the USB interface?

Also, is the storage used in an SSD the same principle as any electronic storage? So, I'm thinking the 'coding' for a BIOS, or the functionality of calculators; the saved presets on those really old phones; how old computers like the Commodore did boot-strapping. These deliberately old examples don't have HDDs or anything 'solid' to base memory on, so do all SSDs work on this same type of memory, but just lots more of it?

Thanks for any help I get in advance; just a curious guy.
smile.gif

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
In a very basic way, SSDs, thumb drives and IC chips (bios chips for example) and computer memory sticks all store data the same way.
They differ is the types of memory they use and hence whether the memory is permanent or volatile (ie the chip needs to be powered for the memory to be retained) and the speed at which they can manage that data.

It's a little to complicated to explain is a simple post, but after 10 minutes of Googling you'll be an expert!

·
Premium Member
6,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

In a very basic way, SSDs, thumb drives and IC chips (bios chips for example) and computer memory sticks all store data the same way.
They differ is the types of memory they use and hence whether the memory is permanent or volatile (ie the chip needs to be powered for the memory to be retained) and the speed at which they can manage that data.

It's a little to complicated to explain is a simple post, but after 10 minutes of Googling you'll be an expert!
Or just ask @Sean Webster... Lol he's the official google master for all storage related questions. For all I know he could work for JEDEC... Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts