Overclock.net banner

Understanding UPS >> PC ratios

2281 33
Can someone help clear up how this works?

Does the rating on the UPS need to match the rating on the power supply to prevent tripping or something?

I hooked my PC up to what I believe is a 3000VA rack mount APC UPS, and it still strokes out with my PC connected. Defective/dead unit, or am I missing something? The unit passes all tests just fine, and the battery still holds some charge. (inherited while shutting down an office, it's been powering switches n stuff for the last 3 years)

(9700k, 2080ti, 40 fans)
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
CaSeLaBs LiFe

never did get any concrete answers on key functionality. gonna have to do some pdf reading tomorrow while absolutely nothing happens @ work.

oh, two of the 4 LA batteries were cracked. healthy :D

·
Overclocker in training
14,851 Posts
Hi,
I just get the highest rated wattage I can afford

The one you got should be a beast I'd be happy with that 2000w
1500 pro is way less and is okay on my x299 depending on what I'm doing but allows to safely save and close what I'm working on and shutdown if power goes off and is how I use it.

TV is on a smaller one.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm stoked. $77 of batteries to get this 1200W/1500 up & running is awesome. cleaning signal + charging phones & running a lamp if the power goes out = perfect. Not even sure what this system draws, but i will once its up & running :D this + the 4 floor 350s I have = days and days of emergency juice if the generators weren't handy for some reason.
I need to stop spending money now. :p

·
Overclocker in training
14,851 Posts
Hi,
That's a 1500va different from wattage I believe much higher otherwise it would not be at 1400.us
It would be like the 1500 pro about 250.us.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Output
Max Configurable Power (Watts)
1.2kWatts / 1.44kVA
Output Voltage Distortion
Less than 5%
Output Frequency (sync to mains)
50/60Hz +/- 3 Hz
Topology
Line Interactive
Waveform type
Sine wave
Input
Input frequency
50/60 Hz +/- 3 Hz (auto sensing)
Input voltage range for main operations
82 - 143V
Input voltage adjustable range for mains operation
75 - 154V
Number of Power Cords
Maximum Short Circuit Withstand (Icw)
1000.0kAmps

that + amazon basic's 4x floor wart 12 socket surge protector = good to go :D I just couldn't bring myself to give Schiit $50 for their 4x1 floor wart.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
new batteries are in, system is charging, all seems well :D :D
thanks everyone for the advice.

if anyone ever finds this thread in the future while trying to hunt down how to rewire this specific battery - ITS IN SERIES!

·
Still kinda lost
3,844 Posts
Is it luck that I just happened to find this post on the front page days before I buy my desktop and getting all the solar panels and my old trusty sine wave UPS ready for ryzen.

My ge75 used to peak at 260watts now this rig will succ a lot of power (was paying 200$ a month ) so solar is the way to go.( Yes I live in yemen a single Google search is enough to understand why solar is the only answer :D )

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
:p

definitely makes sense. You have more sunny days than 99% of the US.

·
Still kinda lost
3,844 Posts
:p

definitely makes sense. You have more sunny days than 99% of the US.
With a chance of a rocket :D , dark jokes aside since the war started most of the elec we use is solar which is kinda cool when you think about it.

We can apply for the greenest country on Earth (elec wise)

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
99% more likely to have rocket rain too, yes!

but let's focus on the positives. Blowing up the infrastructure = great for green initiative. who knew?! (someone please do not inform the modern US extreme left)

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
39,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
how long should I let this thing charge before switching over?

I can't calibrate to get a reading until load exceeds 10% so it thinks its at 100% battery. self tests don't seem to mean squat without calibration. Good news is its not clicking all the time, like it was with dead & cracked sells :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
how long should I let this thing charge before switching over?

I can't calibrate to get a reading until load exceeds 10% so it thinks its at 100% battery. self tests don't seem to mean squat without calibration. Good news is its not clicking all the time, like it was with dead & cracked sells :D

New batteries should come with a decent charge. That being said if you really want the best results do your test tomorrow. Let it charge 24 hours and there will be no question that it's at full capacity.

·
Still here...
10,051 Posts
new batteries are in, system is charging, all seems well :D :D
thanks everyone for the advice.

if anyone ever finds this thread in the future while trying to hunt down how to rewire this specific battery - ITS IN SERIES!
Glad that worked out for you. I was wondering about it myself because there's an accessory external battery unit for that particular series that is 48VDC. I figured it best to remain in wait and see mode.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.