Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryahn View Post

I have questions on understanding on WUs.

What is Base Credit, Estimated Credit and how do I know if I have bidadv? How does Base and Estimated Credit impact my PPD?
Base Credit is the minimum amount points you will get upon submission, Estimated Credit is the predicted amount of points you will get upon submission, and you will know if you have a bigadv if the FahCore is listed as 0xa5.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman811 View Post

Base Credit is the minimum amount points you will get upon submission, Estimated Credit is the predicted amount of points you will get upon submission, and you will know if you have a bigadv if the FahCore is listed as 0xa5.
Is there a more written out guide to all this? I am one of those type of guys that wants to know everything about what he is doing.

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
This thread gives some good details, but needs an update badly. I'll take care of that before work tomorrow night.

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman811 View Post

^This

In addition -- since you like verbose explanations :p

"Base credit" is what the unit is valued at on itself. Ever since SMP units for CPUs and the OpenCL units for GPUs, Stanford introduced a Quick Return Bonus (generally referred to as QRB around these parts). QRB is intended to motivate donors to get work done as fast as possible so they get credited additional points. This also causes the non-linear increase in PPD between computatoinal units (SMP database | GPU database). For example, a 4GHz 2600K is more than 2x as fast as a 2GHz, and the difference (gain) between an 8GHz 2600K and the 4GHz 2600K will be (much) larger than the difference between the 4GHz 2600K and 2GHz 2600K. By doing this, donors are more likely to invest in fast hardware rather than multiple slower hardware (which helps the short deadline nature of the folding project). The estimated credit is the result of the base credit summed with the QRB bonus.

QRB bonus is calculated based on frametimes (TPF) and the k factor (individual parameter benchmarked separately per work unit). Due to varying k factors, you'll also see different yield between units. Project P8101 will yield less points on the same hardware compared to project P8103 for example.

The moment you miss the deadline (called "Timeout" in the client) the QRB bonus will get void (0) and the base credit will become the new estimated credit. In case you also miss the "Expiration" deadline, your particular unit (identified by a unique combination of parameters R/Run, C/Clone and G/Gen) will be considered lost and will not yield you any points. Additionally, it will result in a penalty point if you entered a passkey. If you accumulate enough penalty points so that the ratio of penalty points / completed units ≥ 0.2 (iaw 20%) that passkey will have QRB disabled until it falls below 20%. Penalty points are handed out because you delay the project by causing units to get lost.

If you know the project number of unit you're folding and the time between percentages of completion (typically 2500 steps), you can enter them here:

http://www.linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

It will give you more accurate results in PPD. It does not take the time you held it in queue into account however.

Maybe I should update this thread to be more general.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1379598/chimp-challenge-folding-basics-help-desk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts