Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have an MCP78 motherboar, i.e. nforce 720a (w/ Geforce9100) and as you may know, these get pretty hot, even with a heat sink and adequate ventilation this isn't usually a problem. However, I'm curious if its possible to make nforce chip cooler? I would like to use this mobo for a SFF build, encapsulate it in a case with limited space, although there will be case fans, I would like to know if undervolting is possible and/or easy to do(?) I'm experienced with solder iron and have a multi meter at hand,

Thanks in advance

Giro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW The Northbridge voltage is currently 1.1750 amd CPU 1.450v, luckily I have access to these software controls below via ntune utility, so maybe I won't need to solder anything?

Regarding CPU, its an Athlon II X2 280. I would like to underclock this aswell. What is the most elegant solution to underclocking/volting these two?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,800 Posts
Go in the BIOS and lower it. Test for stability. If it's stable, lower it some more. Do it until it's not stable anymore. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Pook, The options in BIOS are very limited, literally no options to adjust any clocks.
The ntune utility assumes that ability, however, It does work but I'm unsure if I should adjust multiplier or HT bus freq.

FYI, the Motherboard and CPU Multipliers are independent but the HT bus freq are linked on both tabs of the ntune utility.

I would really like to lower the CPU in 45watt ballpark (+/- 5). If this means also lowering the Northbridge temperature thats a bonus I guess, if not it would neat to lower it also.

I'm not experienced at this stuff really. PC became unstable when I lower multiplier so far.
It worth considering the Ram is PC2 6400 DDR2 (Old I know but who cares) and that the FSB bus is perhaps 3ghz (based on unreliable info on the web).

Just would like these parts to work in synergy.

Also a fan of trailer park boys :)

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
Changing the paste on the cooler will help and add a small fan. I had to mod my current laptop Acer Aspire 5520 with the Nforce chipset and TL-66 will good paste and an added tiny fan I got from a power inverter. I can now run 221fsb and that helps a lot in this old lappy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Moparman, appreciate this. I had considered this but lowering the voltage it see's instead to minimize power consumption is better, another fan, although only another a few mA, will only bring up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
good news

Before I got the Athlon X2 280 (3.6Ghz, 65W TDP) I did consider the 245e (2.9Ghz, 45W) but the former was cheaper used so went for it what the heck.

A clever discovery made, on the cpu-world website, the multiplier for both CPUs are shown, 18x and 14.5 respectively.

So, using the ntune utility I experimented (I don't have a clue what I'm doing) and plugged the 14.5 figure in. I also (wrongfully) lowered the 3.6Ghz to 2.9. After that I used CPUz to check resultant core speed. It reported 2393Mhz. Not good enough. SO,
I then (rightfully) reset the freq to 3.6 in ntune and left the multiplier at 14.5 on both cores and CPUz now reports 2900 exactly (which now perfectly matches the 245e). I'm left to assume that the dies are likely identical (codename Regor) and that the only thing that separates them is multiplier. Is that correct?

Edit2: power rating seems to have changed to 43.35. Success?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts