Overclock.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello reader,

I recently got a new PC with the Intel i9-10850k, I have read some things about Undervoltaging the CPU for saving some power for some performance costs.

I play some games but these are not that demanding on the CPU, the other things I do on this PC are browsing for the moment being. I would like my pc generating less heat since it is not needed, PC runs in idle 4.0 - 4.1 GHz (Processor) base speed is 3.60 GHz. I will note my pc specs down below since they are probably needed to help me in this case.

My GPU could be undervolted too since it's powerful enough when it runs on lower performance (For the things I do) if I'm right.

Specs:
Intel I9-10850k (Water cooled)
Nvidia RTX 3080 (Stock)
32 GB RAM (3200MHz) (Got this ram of family as a present, it's of the manufacture "Tigo" Can't find much about them, only some links to Lenovo)
2TB HDD
1TB M2 SSD
1TB SSD (Temp external instead of internal)

The games I play are:
Dead by Daylight
Minecraft
Grand Theft Auto V (Online)

If you need more info I will post it!

Thanks for reading! hope someone knows it here, find it pretty scary to alter things of my hardware.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you enable the core and package C states in the BIOS, the 10850K can be very efficient when idle or lightly loaded. No need to slow the CPU down when it is idle. As long as the C states are enabled, the CPU cores will automatically drop down to 0 MHz and 0 volts internally when they enter the Core C7 state.

Slowing these CPUs down when they are loaded can help reduce power consumption and heat. When properly setup, these are very flexible CPUs. You can run them reliably at whatever speed you like.

Decide on what speed you want to run at and then adjust the voltage so the CPU is stable. I prefer to use Offset voltage so the CPU can automatically adjust the amount of voltage based on what speed I am running at. I use software to control this so I can change speeds and voltages on the fly without having to reboot. Most users in this forum will tell you that adjusting the voltage in the BIOS is the only way to go but it is not necessary. You can get great results either way.

Here are some examples of fine tuning the voltage to what the CPU needs to be stable.

At default settings, Intel typically gives their CPUs some extra voltage so they can guarantee long term stability. When you undervolt a CPU, it eliminates this extra voltage that is really not needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts