Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else? Meh, guess I'll wait another year for an actual upgrade.
wink.gif

·
2,479 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
With Pascall known in the sense that Nvidia has it fully. This is unfortunately a game to nvidia to milk every actual dollar out of GPU buyers over the long haul.

If there was any actual reason to believe Polaris wad dropping sooner than later we would have seen the hammer drop from Nvidia.

Being that it's not, Nvidia will incrementally milk this cow. Look at Kepler...and that was bad.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not as ultimate as anticipated.

Calculated Consumerism.

New Ports are to be expected and needed.

1070 is the mousetrap, 1080 is the hickory dickory dock (the clock struck $699, the gaming mouse ran down).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoxt View Post

With Pascall known in the sense that Nvidia has it fully. This is unfortunately a game to nvidia to milk every actual dollar out of GPU buyers over the long haul.

If there was any actual reason to believe Polaris wad dropping sooner than later we would have seen the hammer drop from Nvidia.

Being that it's not, Nvidia will incrementally milk this cow. Look at Kepler...and that was bad.
If there were more GPU company's this would not be a problem.
AMD and nvidia have the market locked down.
If they made a GPU with there top tech they would probably shorten its life span.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'll definitely wait. My gtx 980 ti will remain in my PC for more than a year or two until VOLTA cards arrive
smile.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker7314 View Post

Anyone else? Meh, guess I'll wait another year for an actual upgrade.
wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolutional View Post

Definitely underwhelmed. Saw this being posted around: http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/12/#diagramm-gigabyte-gtx-980-ti-gaming-oc-vs-gtx-1080-oc-benchmark-part-1

Comparing an overclocked 980 Ti to the 1080, normal and OC'd. Disappointing to say the least, and I doubt it's driver issues as nVidia has been most likely pushing 1080 updates in the last few months of driver updates anyway.
Took a look at this site, they do a horrible job of displaying what it's actually benchmarking, if you go through and read (as with most reviews that are in depth) they eventually say as you scale up resolutions the separation in performance becomes higher and higher, jumping from 14% higher than a 980TI OC at 1080p to 27% or higher at 4k, I've read other sites too which basically show most things only about a 10-15% difference (semi underwhelming) at 1080p, but as you go higher in res then you have bigger texture packs etc and the differences were getting closer to 40% different at 4k-5k from the 980Ti

I think it boils down to a couple things that make us feel underwhelmed, A) we don't have current software that can come close to pushing the limits of the 1080 in the ways it's designed to be utilized and B) most people are still using 1080p 24" displays or potentially a couple of them and at that small of a texture pack the current 980s can still toast most people's needs. C) none of these benchmarks talk about VR or multi display which is where the huge leap is going to be, if you look at 980's SLI on Steams VR benchmark compared to a 1080 the performance is almost DOUBLE the SLI setup.

Progress is Progress and I believe the 1080 was in a great way a huge leap in how nvidia tries to look at the soon to be emerging marketplace vs how do we dominate the current marketplace, that being said the 1080Ti will be another decent bump due to the HBM2

·
2,479 Posts
Thankfully the market value is dictated by 1080p and 1440p performance. 4K is still very much niche, so the value of the 980 Ti will remain. I'm surprised at the 4K results, despite the smaller memory bus, the performance increases, I know about bandwidth being higher, but even so.

·
Covfefe
2,138 Posts
Wait, 1080 = 980ti x 1.3 right?

But it's boost clocked to 70% higher as well?

And that's with GDDR5X.

Seems like if you did a Maxwell on 16nm, you would get the same result pretty much.

Hurray for die shrink, boo for Pascal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Of course you're underwhelmed. You've got a Titan X, and others here have 980Ti's. Despite what NVIDIA said (we all should know better, here) - What exactly did you expect, actual miracles??

I've got SLI 780's (non-Ti) - I'm damn excited to get a 1080. 980 SLI performance+ out of 1 card. I can get rid of the hassle that is SLI and finally power my 3440x1440 ultrawide easily. Sign me up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blampars View Post

Of course you're underwhelmed. You've got a Titan X, and others here have 980Ti's. Despite what NVIDIA said (we all should know better, here) - What exactly did you expect, actual miracles??

I've got SLI 780's (non-Ti) - I'm damn excited to get a 1080. 980 SLI performance+ out of 1 card. I can get rid of the hassle that is SLI and finally power my 3440x1440 ultrawide easily. Sign me up.
They lied about 980 Sli performance, I like their cards, but I can't stand their CEO or company. http://www.overclock.net/t/1600415/guess-ill-be-waiting-for-the-1080ti-titan

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
The card itself is good (compared to everything else on the market), just everything surrounding it is terrible :

- Knowing that HBM2 cards come out and will crush it "soon"~
- Price tag of 699$ / 789€ for a 314mm² die card. Nvidia would still make profit if they sold it for 399$.
- Knowing that when you buy that card the next mid-range card will be 849$
- Knowing the price is heavily inflated due to no competition
- Knowing you fell for Nvidia marketing
- Misleading claims in Nvidias presentation
- Be locked to G-Sync monitors which are 200$ extra on top of it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1970 View Post

I don't regret buying a 980Ti a couple of weeks ago
thumb.gif
Me neither, bought my gtx 980 Ti 2 months ago and I couldn't be more happier. It's a beast card.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I`m changing out my 980Ti. It will fold for the rest of its life while i have my new shiny 1080.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I was definitely underwhelmed by the 1080 considering how fast that hype train ended up going. The Gigabyte 980ti is so damn close it doesn't even feel like an upgrade.

Though I will say that I'm reserving further judgement until the non-reference cards come out. Gigabyte should be able to do something pretty special with the 1080 surely.

• Rep+

·
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Stock definitely isn't a huge performance leap from the 980Ti G1 but the perf/w is pretty much doubled.
I'm still waiting on AMD for the performance per watt thing. nVidia wants to put some more compute back on their cards, whereas AMD just keeps theirs the same, so maybe AMD may benefit a lot from 16nm.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolutional View Post

I'm still waiting on AMD for the performance per watt thing. nVidia wants to put some more compute back on their cards, whereas AMD just keeps theirs the same, so maybe AMD may benefit a lot from 16nm.
Hmm I heard some bad news about the upcoming polaris cards. I hope it's not true though, you know the rumour about the failed validation and cards being delayd until october this year...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

I was definitely underwhelmed by the 1080 considering how fast that hype train ended up going. The Gigabyte 980ti is so damn close it doesn't even feel like an upgrade.

Though I will say that I'm reserving further judgement until the non-reference cards come out. Gigabyte should be able to do something pretty special with the 1080 surely.
Um.. I don't think the 1080 series is really meant to be a super upgrade for 980 Ti owners. I think it leans more towards being an upgrade for 7xx and 9xx non-Ti owners.
(edit: i'm going to add in here that yeah, nvidia hyped it up for Ti and Titan X owners as well.. But we all should know to not fall in to that trap. For most of us, it's not our first GPU release cycle)

I'm going to post an example of why it confuses me when people say they're "underwhelmed". Granted - this isn't gods word or anything, but I think it's a good example.

Thief @ 1440p around the time of 980 release:

We're looking at a performance increase of about ~9 FPS going from 7 series to 9 series. I'd say that's pretty underwhelming.

Now lets check Thief @ 1440p 1080 vs 980

Now what are we looking at? 44FPS increase from one generation to the next.

I don't see what's underwhelming about that at all. That's rather freaking impressive if you ask me.

980 source article

1080 source article

I think all you Ti and Titan X owners need to leave the underwhelming remarks in your back pocket for big Pascal, when you actually have a direct upgrade to compare it to.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts