Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
NeoGaf user Madouu has explained that the country has 3 ISPs, but Maroc Telecom controls the biggest share of the internet market in Morocco, which is far from ideal, obviously.

Last January, all three ISPs in Morocco banned a bunch of audio and video chat apps, including Skype, Whatsapp, Viber, Facebook messenger and Google Hangouts.

As you'd imagine, people were pissed and kicked up a storm, forcing the ISPs to respond. They delivered a statement claiming that it was an ANRT's ruling, an independent regulatory agency.

The ANRT justified its decision by stating that none of the services providing voice over IP (VoIP) or other "free internet calls" had the required licenses.
source

So they have beef against VOIP communication of any sort it seems. It is probably lowering Telecom companies' income and they are banning anything that has VOIP. VPN seems to solve the issue for some people according to the article here

Bullokcs move. I just hope it does not inspire other countries.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
This is odd, because I have been in Morocco since last November and spent a considerable amount of time on Skype Hangouts video chat with no issues, other than generally poor internet speed. In fact the vast majority of the locals use VOIP, generally Hangouts voice chat, instead of regular phone calls due to the absurdly cheap mobile data costs.

I haven't tried online gaming here though, as I am on a work laptop.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

This is odd, because I have been in Morocco since last November and spent a considerable amount of time on Skype Hangouts video chat with no issues, other than generally poor internet speed. In fact the vast majority of the locals use VOIP, generally Hangouts voice chat, instead of regular phone calls due to the absurdly cheap mobile data costs.

I haven't tried online gaming here though, as I am on a work laptop.
It started from jan 2016 so probably it happend after you moved out of the country. Anyway I heard from morocoan friend that yes it can be solved through VPN but most of them are slow . Tunnlebear is good but it is limited to 500 mb (1gb) for each users. So the only solution is to use the paid version, but they have to decied if it is worth using it rather than the local telecom companies data plans

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCSElite View Post

It started from jan 2016 so probably it happend after you moved out of the country.
I was on Skype in Morocco yesterday for about 2 hours, no VPN, no problems.

Edit: And literally just tried Hangouts on the site internet and it worked fine.

Talking to some of the people here it sometimes doesn't work, but usually does. So it seems that the telecom companies tried to cut it off, but don't always manage it.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCSElite View Post

Well that is great then, may be things changed
See my edit: Apparently it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I must have been lucky so far, although I sometimes have to try calling a few times before it goes through.

Further edit: Apparently it all works on mobile data, because that way you are paying for it. On home internet it is supposed to be blocked, however the block doesn't always work.

Either way it smacks of telecom companies giving the regulatory agencies a backhander to stop them losing profits, rather than trying to compete in an evolving market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts