Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on an Intel x25 80gb ssd to use as an OS/gaming drive (yes I know it will only help with load times and not fps) and reformat my current 640gb WD black to become a slave drive for data firefox/itunes/etc. I mainly want to do this because I like to reformat and reinstall the OS every 6-12 months and being able to keep my data on a slave drive makes it easier to do so than having to migrate it to my laptop temporarily.

What I don't know is how deleting programs off a slave drive works. Can you still delete them through the control panel or do you manually delete the files on the drive?

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tehmoonrulz View Post
What I don't know is how deleting programs off a slave drive works. Can you still delete them through the control panel or do you manually delete the files on the drive?
I would just "Manually Delete" them! And then do your fresh install

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

I am about to pull the trigger on an Intel x25 80gb ssd to use as an OS/gaming drive (yes I know it will only help with load times and not fps) and reformat my current 640gb WD black to become a slave drive for data firefox/itunes/etc. I mainly want to do this because I like to reformat and reinstall the OS every 6-12 months and being able to keep my data on a slave drive makes it easier to do so than having to migrate it to my laptop temporarily.

Once the WD Black becomes a secondary drive, the entire installation of Windows and all of the installed programs will become completely dormant. They will be nothing more than just stored files on a hard drive. I mean, once you install the SSD and put Windows on it, that new installation of Windows won't be looking at the WD Black to see if there are any installed programs on it or anything. It'll just say, "Hey, I see a secondary hard drive. Here's a driver for it so that you can use it. Enjoy."

In other words, there's no need to uninstall anything because you will no longer be using that installation of Windows. But if you need to free up space on the WD Black, then manually delete what you don't need. You don't have to format the drive.

The only thing you do have to do is this: if the version of Windows 7 you're going to be installing is either OEM or the "Full" retail, then make sure the WD Black is not plugged in during the installation, otherwise the installer will set you up with a dual-boot menu. But if it's just the Upgrade version, then don't worry about it. I mean, even though it can be installed fresh just like both OEM and Full, the Upgrade version does not try to set up a dual-boot menu.

So, try to avoid worrying about it and just enjoy the new SSD!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Any programs that were installed when the WD was the primary drive will not work when it becomes the secondary (slave) drive, unless you do some major reg tweaking. This includes running the uninstall programs.

Copy off any data you want to save before installing the SDD. Once you have your stuff backed up then wipe the drive, no need to uninstall or delete anything. Reinstall the OS, reinstall your programs and restore your data.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gymenii View Post
Any programs that were installed when the WD was the primary drive will not work when it becomes the secondary (slave) drive, unless you do some major reg tweaking. This includes running the uninstall programs.

Copy off any data you want to save before installing the SDD. Once you have your stuff backed up then wipe the drive, no need to uninstall or delete anything. Reinstall the OS, reinstall your programs and restore your data.
This.

Except, there's no need to reinstall anything since we're starting with a fresh SSD here.

But here's a perspective I want to share on installing and uninstalling software:

Installing software basically integrates the program with the operating system to a certain extent. At minimum, the only integration performed is that it can be run (the software works, and Windows recognizes it as a program that is a part of the system), and it can be uninstalled from the Control Panel. So, uninstalling something disintegrates it (or, perhaps we should say that it de-integrates it, or detaches it) from the operating system. Some files are indeed deleted, but for the most part everything is left alone except now the program is no longer a part of the system and just becomes dormant and useless.

So when you uninstall something, you're not deleting every trace of it, but rather the program is just being detached from the system. It's like you're unplugging it. However, again: some things are definitely deleted, but there are still a large amount of traces left behind.

In other words, if you need to free up space on the WD Black, then manually delete what you don't need anymore once you have completed the installation of the Intel X-25.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am planning on completely wiping the WD drive this time and migrating all of my old music/data files back to it once it is clean and has no OS on it. Once the SSD is up and running with the OS most other programs will be installed to the WD drive.

When the time to reformat comes up again, I want to be able to clear the WD of all files with the exception of music/data/bookmarks/etc, then reinstall windows on the SSD and re-introduce that data to the programs the utilize it

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

I am planning on completely wiping the WD drive this time and migrating all of my old music/data files back to it once it is clean and has no OS on it. Once the SSD is up and running with the OS most other programs will be installed to the WD drive.

When the time to reformat comes up again, I want to be able to clear the WD of all files with the exception of music/data/bookmarks/etc, then reinstall windows on the SSD and re-introduce that data to the programs the utilize it
I would suggest making sub folders for your programs and games like "Apps" and "Games"

So when the time comes to reinstall, you can just delete the Apps folder and then the old Apps will be gone, and you can reinstall stuff.

There is nothing special about having programs installed on a second drive, it just means the program starts from D:\\Apps\\someapp\\someapp.exe instead of C:\\Program Files (x99)\\Failapp\\Noname.exe

That said, if you're using an SSD as C: I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how many normal applications you can fit on it... it's Games that take up the big space.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

I'm shocked that I missed this post. I apologize! But we posted at precisely the same time, so that's how I missed it.

Anyway, any programs that are installed to the WD Black while using Windows 7 on the SSD will need to be re-installed if the SSD is formatted. This is because when a program is installed, it's almost like it is plugged into the system. So when formatting the OS drive, those proverbial plugs are unplugged and must be plugged in again by reinstalling them using the installers for the programs in question.

So, I recommend using Google for each program you want to "save" more or less using search criteria like how to back up Firefox or something. I mean, always use "how to back up", and then just complete it with the name of the program. I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll be able to save thereby making it super easy to format and start over and continue right where you left off (for the most part).

• Rep+
Reactions: Tehmoonrulz

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for your help. Im glad it is going to be a really simple process reinstalling windows from now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts