Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New research from the University of Melbourne and the Cancer Council Victoria finds people who regularly drink sugary soft drinks are more at risk of cancer

By Dr Nerissa Hannink, University of Melbourne

Sugar, body weight and cancer have long been known to have an intricate and troubling relationship.

Health professionals have observed that as our body weight increases, so does the occurrence of many cancers like those in the liver, aggressive prostate, ovary and gallbladder.
Source

Note that this is drinks with sugar in them not the sugar free range which although still uses sugar but those artificial sweaters that are 1/1000th of the amount they add in sugar drinks.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,393 Posts
Everything gives you increased risk of getting cancer.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Source

Note that this is drinks with sugar in them not the sugar free range which although still uses sugar but those artificial sweaters that are 1/1000th of the amount they add in sugar drinks.
and along the way to the cancer, you get diabetes, heart disease, obesity, joint problems, etc. Joy!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Interesting. Would like to see other research projects confirming this.
Not going to stop drinking coca cola though. Even if other reports confirm that sugar is the cause.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
why even elaborately relate it to sugary drinks and not just straight up say "sugar causes cancer"?
theres even a disclaimer “But this is not the case with those who drink diet soft drinks, suggesting sugar is a key contributor.”.

·
Registered
193 Posts
why even elaborately relate it to sugary drinks and not just straight up say "sugar causes cancer"?
theres even a disclaimer “But this is not the case with those who drink diet soft drinks, suggesting sugar is a key contributor.”.
I think it would be very dangeruous to state that sugar causes cancer. If that was the case, i think those cancer types would be much more widespread.
As age increases, so does the risk of cancer, and while there may be a link with sugar, this one study cannot prove it conclusively, which is why more research is needed. Besides. Sugar (or carbohydrates) are still very important in ones nutrition. So saying sugar causes cancer, would be wrong.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
...actually

Everything gives you increased risk of getting cancer.
Failing to drink enough clean water to clear your system of toxins is 80% of what gives you cancer. Its not the soda or sugar, it's the acid they add to it and cannot add anywhere near as much to diet because it will burn through the can and corrupt the bottles.

Drink distilled water with meals and make sure you're HEAVILY hydrated with each meal so you have to pee afterwards. Your mouth is full of fluids with far lower pH than distilled water and distilled water's pH only drops into the acid range if you leave the bottle/jug open to the air for DAYS.

Don't drink bottled water, don't drink hardened water, don't drink softened water, don't drink trendy "we raised the pH" water.

Don't drink tap water.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
I think it would be very dangeruous to state that sugar causes cancer. If that was the case, i think those cancer types would be much more widespread.
As age increases, so does the risk of cancer, and while there may be a link with sugar, this one study cannot prove it conclusively, which is why more research is needed. Besides. Sugar (or carbohydrates) are still very important in ones nutrition. So saying sugar causes cancer, would be wrong.
thats not what another article says - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320156.php

and another one - https://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/27/health/sugar-cancer-relationship-study/index.html
which is much more closer to the current article.
"On the other hand, we all know that when you eat a lot of sugar, you have a tendency -- that has been clearly shown -- to become more obese," Thevelein said. "And obesity is linked to a higher risk of cancer."

·
Registered
748 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if this research was aimed at trying to push for a 'sugary drinks tax' in Australia, like some US cities and European countries have done?

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
Check out the sugar content for popular iced tea and fruit drinks. In some cases going for "orange juice" is not a healthier choice. Regardless of the health risks, I think they'd taste better if they didn't go overboard with the sugar.
i concur, i prefer those drinks after the ice had melted, the diluted drinks tastes way better.

·
red dawn
809 Posts
In other news, water is wet.

·
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.
1,278 Posts
Getting too much sunlight gives you cancer, having not enough sunlight gives you cancer, eating too much processed foods gives you cancer, cooking red meat too much makes it carcinogenic, breathing in polluted air gives you cancer, wifi and mobile network signals gives you cancer, almost everything gives you cancer...and I think you'll find that artificial sweeteners like aspartame are just as carcinogenic as well (Even though there is a lot of conflicting information on that subject, at this point, it really wouldn't come as a surprise).

While these studies are somewhat enlightening, as long as you aren't working in an asbestos contaminated environment, which will very quickly give you cancer, or some sort of irradiated environment...dwelling on this sort of thing in your day-to-day life is going to be pretty fruitless and a waste of time, here's a good example, don't breath air, because its oxidizing your bodies cells and has the potential to cause you cancer...see what I mean?

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
Interesting. Would like to see other research projects confirming this.
Not going to stop drinking coca cola though. Even if other reports confirm that sugar is the cause.
Won't or can't? Sugar stimulates the same areas of the brain like cocaine and other addictive drugs do. Ever wonder why sugar seems to be in everything? Other names for sugar: sucralose, dextrose, fructose, maltose.

The public is slowing waking up to that fact. We no longer believe what 'authorities' say on the subject that is sugar. Sugar is a billion $ industry. Why is bread STILL the most recommended food in the U.S.? Sugar=carbs. Sugar also causes inflammation. Inflammation is the cause of all chronic disease.

Those boards are funded by the bread industry.

Carbs contain no essential nutrients whatsoever. The modern day wheat grain is basically 'filler'. It'll fill your stomach, but that's about it.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
...Other names for sugar: sucralose...
You're thinking of sucrose. Sucralose is a sugar substitute that is made from modified sugar and is safer than sugar and other sugar substitutes (other than, possibly, Stevia). It's considered to be safe even for diabetics.

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
You're thinking of sucrose. Sucralose is a sugar substitute that is made from modified sugar and is safer than sugar and other sugar substitutes (other than, possibly, Stevia). It's considered to be safe even for diabetics.
Thanks for the correction. Even the synthetic sugar substitutes are shaky imo. Those safety studies were done short-term. No long term studies have been done on their safety. I'll guess we'll know a generation later when the diseases appear. If you need that sweet fix, eat fruit (fiber buffers the insulin spike) or like you mentioned, use the natural stevia sweetner.

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
Well, you gotta die from something.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
speaking of stevia, stevia at high dosages seems to be mutagenic, so its not quite safe either.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts