Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

i have a unique project coming up here in the next few months and i need to get a budget together and/or options to see what can be done with available technology.

long story short: i volunteer at a local childrens museum and they would like a couple information TV's displayed in two of our high traffic rooms. their current setup is aging (probably 7 years old) and is bulky as anything. currently the system is playing standard DVD's but I would expand that to playlist out whatever they want. From downloaded youtube videos, to DVD's, to .mp4's, to .avi's, whatever.

so here is my question for everyone. since there are 2 TV's, both 1080p and are in separate rooms, what is the best solution to build? is there a wireless system that can be implemented so that I can use one beefy HTPC system and broadcast two different streams over both monitors without any lag or will wires have to be ran? let me know any creative options. i'm open to anything really.

thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well you can slap up a media server to serve clients and the clients could be mATX/ITX HTPCs? You could use handbrake to rip your current DVDs to hdd? I'd suggest XBMC and just with the Youtube, Free Cable and Navi-X addons, these would offer tons of content
tongue.gif
For HD vids i'd really go with wired connection for best results

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
you could build little htpc boxes And have their old system as a File server somewhere over the wireless network.

$70 Case/PSU
$60 or $95 CPU/Mobo / CPU/Mobo
$20 RAM
$45 32GB SSD You might be able to save $5 here if you grab a cheap laptop HDD.
$195 or $230 per box

They you would need to add a wireless card
tongue.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome recommendations guys. thanks a ton. i'm going to put together a couple different "builds" and present it to them to see where they stand. i like the idea of the smaller HTPC servers with the centralized fileserver since i can setup a private wireless network dedicated to the handling of the video content.

on a side note, can a single-core Intel Atom support common 1080p playback via wifi or is dual recommended?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.