Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Enthusiast
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done running memtest trying to figure out a non-related issue (5 passes, 0 errors)
Anyway, then i went into bios to check on something and i noticed that Unlock cores is disabled. I think understand the concept of that but i am asking for some clarification on exactly what the unlock cores option is referring to.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
It for those CPUs that have the ability to unlock. It mostly Single core, Dual and Tri cores. You have a Quad so nothing to unlock.

• Rep+
Reactions: Silentsoul_600

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
if you have a dual or tri core AMD CPU you can sometimes unlock them to a quad as AMD uses the same die design on all phenom II CPUs and just disable the core to produce dual and tri chips, sometimes they do this because the cores are faulty and so are disabled and it is marketed as a dual or tri and sometime they do it to meet market demand for dual or tri core, it luck of the draw if you buy a dual or tri core and it will unlock, as you have a quad anyway unlocking wont have any effect

·
Enthusiast
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
It for those CPUs that have the ability to unlock. It mostly Single core, Dual and Tri cores. You have a Quad so nothing to unlock.
Thats kinda how i understood it because i knew all of my cores were active so was just thinking to much into it guess. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains View Post
if you have a dual or tri core AMD CPU you can sometimes unlock them to a quad as AMD uses the same die design on all phenom II CPUs and just disable the core to produce dual and tri chips, sometimes they do this because the cores are faulty and so are disabled and it is marketed as a dual or tri and sometime they do it to meet market demand for dual or tri core, it luck of the draw if you buy a dual or tri core and it will unlock, as you have a quad anyway unlocking wont have any effect
Thank you for the good explanation. Got it now. By your signature it looks like you had a x3 unlock to quad? Thats awesome.

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silentsoul_600 View Post
Thats kinda how i understood it because i knew all of my cores were active so was just thinking to much into it guess. Thanks

Thank you for the good explanation. Got it now. By your signature it looks like you had a x3 unlock to quad? Thats awesome.
correct

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
960t also unlocks to a 6 core though. I had one for testing. The only problem was that it took in excess of 1.5v to get a decent speed on all 6 cores. Which I dont like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts