Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am receiving 3 unlockable (hopefully) PNY 465s in a couple hours. I have read several threads explaining how to do the bios flash unlock. I have flashed bios for components before, so the process is not foreign to me.

What I am confused about is which gtx 470 bios to use? I'm not sure what my card's stock bios is... do i need to use the corresponding bios for the unlock (iow, say my defualt bios is asus, must i use the asus 470 bios? or does it matter?)

What bios should i use???

the unlock guide i will use

additional info on unlocking

list of good performing bios

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
It shouldn't matter, you can try one, and if it doesn't work well try another. I'm running a msi 465 twin frozr GE with the msi 470 twin frozr bios, but the evga, asus, nvidia bioses all seemed to work fine too. I just stuck with the msi 470 twin frozr bios because I have the same, but in copper hsf on mine, I figured it'd probably work with the non-reference cooler better.

since yours is a reference 465 card, any reference 470 bios should work fine.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
I would definately check the vid, and overclocking ability of the card as a 465 first, if you plan to overclock as a 470. It should give you a good idea of what you should be able to achieve.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
i would go with EVGA overvoltage bios so you can use EVAG OC scanner, thats the bios i used on my MSI GTX 465 golden edition worked great.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
If it were me I'd use a reference PNY 470 bios, but it really doesn't matter too much. About the only thing that varies is the fan profile on some of the non-reference bioses, and maybe an OC if you use a bios from an OC'd model.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for all the suggestions... i tried several bios, but the asus bios seemed more stable, and allows me to overvolt through smartdoctor. i'll post results after i get my new psu later this week

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I use ASUS SC, works great! I use it with MSI Afterburner, turn up the voltage to 1.084, and run like a charm!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bekuna
View Post

Which 465s are unlockable to 470?

Only PNY?

no, there's the msi 465 golden edition, the point of view 465, and even an asus 465 here and there... but it's the luck of the draw ^.^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts