Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell Streak

When size matters

Welcome to the club everyone! Just let me know if you have a Streak and I'll add you. Let us know what firmware you're running and any info you have on Streak news or tricks.

I'm running my US Streak on Stephen Hyde's Froyo v1 ROM. Awaiting Dell's official release of 2.2 later this year

Here are some helpful links for Streak owners:

StreakSmart.com - Blog all about Dell Streak news. This is what I followed all summer that made me wanna get a Streak. Great info on this site

MoDaCo Dell Streak Forum - This is where I get all of my modding utilities for flashing ROMs and such. They have pretty good tutorials on how to upgrade/downgrade your Streak to any version

OCN App List - Our collection of useful Android Apps

Member List

BuckyWootmaster
ravide
gaming96
jhotmann21

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
What made you decide to get one? Was it purely the size? Do you find yourself using it as a sudo-tablet more than anything else?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The size was definitely a grabber for me but the main factor was the hardware and potential of a device like this. It was one of the first phones with a 1 GHz cpu, 512 MB RAM, 5 MP camera, and 800x480 resolution screen. It also has a front-facing camera (can only get it to work in fring so far)

I use it as my phone and haven't had any problems adjusting to the size. Browsing the web is really nice because I don't have to scroll around trying to read tiny text. The screen size allows you to see almost a full web page with out zooming in and out too much

It has also been a great ice-breaker with the females. Girl says "Wow that's big" I say "I got it because I am used to having big things in my pants"

I would say more about it but after noticing your avatar I'm going to try to get out of here before I get murd

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckyWootmaster View Post
It has also been a great ice-breaker with the females. Girl says "Wow that's big" I say "I got it because I am used to having big things in my pants"
lulz

Quote:

I would say more about it but after noticing your avatar I'm going to try to get out of here before I get murd
Why did you just cut off your sentence? It's not like you said Candleja

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

It was one of the first phones with a 1 GHz cpu, 512 MB RAM, 5 MP camera, and 800x480 resolution screen.
No it wasn't. Since the nexus one of last year, that can describe pretty much any high end android phone. Not saying it's a bad phone, but the main unique thing is the size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
Yep, i have a Streak and browse a lot on the go and the screen makes a monumental difference! However, i must say that the size, at times doesn't lend itself well to be used as a phone, especially when you need to quickly reach for the phone. Having said that i still use it as a phone though not too frequently for making and receiving the odd calls. The screen is absolutely stunning, particularly when browsing engadget
On the hardware side it's got a lot to offer, and boasts a 1 GHz processor though with the stock 1.6 it is still limited BUT there is unofficial Froyo and the official one will be released soon. I am currently running stock 1.6 and get 778 on Quadrant benchmark...pretty impressive for stock 1.6, i must say

IMHO 1 GHz is snappy enough to do pretty much 99% of all smartphone tasks that you would require to do so. Though i am keen to see if it can be overclocked to at least 1.2GHz, that would be swell

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Thinking about getting a Dell Streak or Lightning/Venue Pro....

any cons with the Streak?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are a few cons that I have noticed (hopefully they will be mostly taken care of when Dell releases their official 2.2 later this year)

- Output volume through the headphone jack is horrible! In my car I have to turn the Streak volume all the way up and the car volume almost to the max to hear anything.

- Video recording is a little laggy-looking. It looks kind of like if you don't have VSYNC enabled on a game using an LCD screen

- The size can be a bit cumbersome at first

- Battery life is a bit low. When I go to bed it's at < 10%. Sometimes I have to charge it during the day but it doesn't hinder me too much because I am almost always near a USB port and I have made a habit of carrying its cable on me. Also I use it as a flash drive so keeping the wire nearby is a must

But it's all about personal preference. If you can get used to the size I think you would find it's a very capable and cool phone to have

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still running stock 1.6 Android though the official release of froyo is imminent

Having said that, still managed to get 778 on Quadrant benchmark

Looking forward to Froyo release, hopefully it comes out sometime this week.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Dell Streak's are amazing
i cant let go of mine and everyday getting new apps and apk's
a big bonus is the memory size, 2gb internal memory and a 16gb/32gb memory card depending witch version you get, iv got the 16gb, more than enough for me.
Just waiting for the android 2.2

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would like to join the owners club...picked up one at best buy last week and love it so far. I am running the o2 froyo that was just released and it is butter smooth. Way better than my old mytouch 3g (which is a t-mobile phone I was using on at&t so I didn't get 3g...running CM 6.1 btw).

I find the 5 inch size to be perfect, I dont find it too bad when in a pocket (even in skinny jeans)...watching videos and browsing the web are fantastic on this guy. I got a bluetooth headset for when in the car which is nice because I feel weird holding this giant thing up to my ear...but I refuse to use the bluetooth in public because it bugs me when other people are on theirs (I never know if they are talking to me or not)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
for the Streak owners who have updated to 2.2, what are the languages supported by the Froyo OS?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts