Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing this thread in hopes to reduce the amount of posts made asking:

Which version of Vista is better/right for me?

Should I get 32 bit or 64 bit?

So I will start with a chart comparing the features in all of the Vista version.

Source

Now for the million dollar question, which is better and what are the differences between 32 bit of 64 bit? Many peoples first response is "64 bit can use 4GB of ram and 32 bit cannot." While this is true, it is certainly not the only difference between the two. Here is a nice chart that explains some of the not so well known differences between the two.

Source

After looking at that chart you may wonder, how much of that really matters to me? Well for me the most important points of that chart are the maximum RAM that is usable, driver signing, and driver support. We have already covered the first one in that list, and the chart makes it pretty self explanatory. The second two are still very critical when choosing which version suites you better and may not be so clear.

Driver signing means that MS requires that all device drivers must be digitally signed by the developer, this means you are less likely to download and install harmful drivers.

Driver support is also a big issues because 32 bit drivers are not compatible with a 64 bit OS, and vice-versa. When 64 bit OS first came out this was an issue because hardware companies were not producing 64 bit drivers at the same rate they were working on 32 bit drivers, currently this is not as much of an issue.

For Retail vs. OEM, see the link below.
http://www.overclock.net/windows/156...ification.html

If anyone wants anything added/corrected/changed just let me know. I'll update this as I can.

MODS: Official and/or sticky if you'd like. Thanks

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
64-bit is the way to go unless you have mission critical apps/hardware that are absolutely 32-bit only, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesRule View Post
You could of save all that work and just said to get 64 bit.
LOL, so true. I think Vista 64 is at the point now that there is no reason not to (at least on any new system). It does not cost any more (or at most $10 for the 64 bit disk from MS), most anything will work on it, and drivers are pretty much out for anything made in the past 2 years.
Nice to have a post to refere them to.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Thank God for this. Now sticky it and put it in both Operating Systems and Windows forums.

Yes, I'm very demanding because I never want to see this question asked again... lol

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
For future purposes and how games advance it would be best for people to use 64 bit.

Eventually 3.2GB is not going to be enough for gaming as textures get larger and larger in size.

Only problem is drivers. Soo make shure your hardware vendor has drivers beta or not. If not then you can't do it. For example if you had a sound card that only had 32 bit drivers or a printer that has 32bit. Then you would need to replace those if theres no drivers for it.

But once you check and see theres drivers for all your hardware. Then go for it !!!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread is pretty current. The future is 64 bit, if you are getting a new system there is almost no reason not to go 64 bit.

The only reason I can see is availability issues or if you have a specific piece of hardware with no 64 bit support, but thats very rare these days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
does the 64 bit version of vista use more ram for example my 32 bit home premium uses 56 % of 3 gb while playing left 4 dead, and about 700mb at idle any difference with the 64?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I love this thread, It nice to finally see that some people get it. I really hate seeing people bash 64bit and say "don't get 64bit, there's absolutely no driver support!" That really burns me up..

Thanks OP

·
Registered
645 Posts
64-bit sucks, I want 128-bit processors... LOL just kidding, 64-bit ftw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts