Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is to start a tread on unparking cores on your Intel CPU's. I started to Un-park my cores on my I7 4770k so I could lower the latency between waking up the cores. One of the first things I did my new spec's in sig. I've never seen any threads on this topic so here we go. Love to hear what everyone else has to say about the topic.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,910 Posts
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613899(v=vs.85).aspx

Core Parking is supported only on Windows Server 2008 R2. However, the Core Parking algorithm and infrastructure is also used to balance processor performance between logical processors on Windows 7 client systems with processors that include Intel Hyper-Threading Technology.

People don't talk about it because cores don't park from Windows 7 onward. It only affects HTT. Windows manages threads itself just fine.

Just leave it alone.

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
Windows 7 and Windows 10 still park cores (starting with the extra logical cores enabled by hyperthreading) in most power profiles.

I generally manually disable core parking on my desktops as there are situations where it can harm performance. On laptops it usually harms battery life more than it helps anything else though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Overclocker in training
14,081 Posts
Hi,
Personally I just use a high performance power plan and disable hibernation with cmd as admin.
If using all core for multiplier none should ever need waking.

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
how to

Hi,
Personally I just use a high performance power plan and disable hibernation with cmd as admin.
If using all core for multiplier none should ever need waking.
What does "all core for multiplier" mean? I don't get what you are saying.
Anyway, anyone have more info on how to unpark the cores and how to go back to default if I want? I would like to know!

·
Blessed to Serve
840 Posts
I wonder if core parking is still dynamic above the settings this CPU Core Parking Manager 3 sets. Like, if I set core parking index to %50, would that mean that the rest of the cores are still able to be dynamically unparked by the OS when needed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts