Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently downloaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10, and Installed it on an HP Mini 110 1030nr, because Windows XP was a slow fat dog on this thing. Here is my experience with this... leaving Technical Guru junk out, because I am not a Linux Guru by any means

1st up, I installed the live CD onto a thumb drive. Inserted the thumb into the netbook and restarted. After a few minutes I was greeted with a very different looking, yet extremely easy to use, desktop. I then clicked Install UNR. The same friendly easy to use GUI came up as most Ubuntu versions of the past have. I noticed the dual/multi partition option was changed to be even easier than many previous versions. I let it chose the 50/50 dual partition default and just blindly clicked continue till it started the installation. When it was done it told me to remove the CD/USB and hit ENTER to restart. So far so super easy right? I mean, the hardest part of all of this so far was creating a bootable USB from a CD image (iso), then changing the BIOS to boot USB before HDD. But both of those steps are easy enough that any joe off the street can do with 1 finger. When the computer restarted I was greeted with a text box asking me to chose which OS to start, UNR or XP. I clicked nothing, and it auto started UNR about 5 seconds later. When it was done, I had the same screen as I did on the LiveCD. But when I clicked ANYTHING at all, it was instantaneous. I was immediately impressed by just how snappy this little OS was on this even smaller Netbook. After playing with it a little bit I noticed I had no wireless, I also noticed a little green PCI-E looking icon next to where the signal strength bar would be. I clicked it, and right away it searched for wireless drivers. "STA" and "B43" were my options. I just clicked on one of them, it didnt seem to matter, and right away I had internet. I then downloaded VLC and Skype. VLC worked perfect with no tweaking. Skype had no internal mic. I clicked on the speaker Icon, then properties and noticed I had nothing coming in from the Internal Mic. After Typing "alsamixer" into console, hitting TAB a few times, I noticed that it had no Internal Mic listed (bug#458302). After tons of research I found how to fix it by installing the linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic package through synaptic. I then opened terminal "alsamixer" again, tab, set front mic to 100%. All the sudden my microphone was perfect!

Here I was, sitting with this perfect OS, on a perfectly tiny PC, wondering why I even still had Windows XP taking up half my HDD. So I got greedy. I started over with a new clean install, this time allowing UNR to take over the whole HDD. When it was all said and done installing I had no internal Mic, as expected, and no wireless. I started to do the same steps for enabling wireless again, but this time... no dice. No driver worked, at all. I searched and searched for a driver that would work, ran all the updates, listened to tons and tons of advice, only to fail time and time again. Finally I came across a program that allowed me to use a Windows driver instead. Luckily, this program 'ndiswrapper' comes with every flavor of Ubuntu 9.10 already. I check the box in synaptic to install it. This puts the 'Windows Wireless' button at the bottom on the settings tab. When I ran that, it asked for an INF file. But all the drivers I found for Windows are EXE's, rightly so. So how is this supposed to work? I found no answers on any of the 1st 100 links I checked through google. Finally I thought about my 'old friend' of a program called WINE. I downloaded it, ran the EXE driver (that I found on HP's website), then explored WINEs files till I found where it "installed" this EXE. In its folder I found the INF file. I then opened up Windows Wireless again, found that INF file again, and perfecto! Wireless is now even better than it was when I had 1/2 Windows on this thing! I then redid the internal Mic fix from previous. BTW, all this took me about 2 weeks to figure out... like I said, not a Guru.

After all this, I had a beautiful, perfect Netbook staring me in the face. Everything works perfectly. And I mean everything, including that little Wireless On/Off switch on the front. Sleep, Suspend, Hibernate, you name it, and it is all great. Startup time is maybe 15 seconds from power off to nothing still loading.

What a great learning experience! Now to give it to my wife!

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Now I gotta get me a netbook. But where can I buy one without the Windows tax?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get one with Linux preinstalled for about $300 USD, through HP.com I'm pretty sure. Its the Linux MIE though... and thats kinda sad compared to UNR. Although similar, its just not as fun, as good, and definitely no where near as clean of an interface.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidMonkey View Post
You can get one with Linux preinstalled for about $300 USD, through HP.com I'm pretty sure. Its the Linux MIE though... and thats kinda sad compared to UNR. Although similar, its just not as fun, as good, and definitely no where near as clean of an interface.
Yeah, but I've been using Linux longer than many OCN members have even been alive... I can handle a reinstall.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Now I gotta get me a netbook. But where can I buy one without the Windows tax?
I ran a promotion here at work giving away netbooks to customers who purchased a certain item.

The best deal I could find here local was at HHgreg. I talked them down to $229 for acer aspire one's with xp on them. Of course I bought 17 at once so I don't know if they will sell just one for $229. The good news is the list price was $279.

BTW if you have a tax id # HHgreg will take it.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Wow, great story man and great job. When I first started off with Ubuntu on my T43 I had similar issues and after the first 3-4 months I had everything (I mean everything including the gyroscopic thing inside it to turn off the hard drives when it falls) working. <.< I even was able to sync my black berry to it!

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
This is New Hampshire, we don't HAVE sales tax. So no sales tax ID's either.

This is my problem with most netbooks: the keyboards are too small. The Dell Mini keyboard, last I got my hands on one, was barely acceptable, and would probably annoy me if I had to use it for any length of time. The Aspire One was impossible. The Eee PC almost totally soured me on netbooks thanks to its keyboard. There was one netbook with a larger than usual keyboard and now I can't remember what it was.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Yeah, but I've been using Linux longer than many OCN members have even been alive... I can handle a reinstall.

MS EULA says that if you refuse the EULA [don't ever boot windows] your entitled to a full market price refund.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I understand your point about the size of the keyboard. My wife doesn't mind it on her AAO because she has smaller hands.

The main thing I use her netbook for is to control my other computers from the couch with ssh or vpn. I love being able to turn off any pc in the house from the couch. That way when I yell at the kids to go to bed I can make my point clear. The first time I did this my six year old playing on my sig rig. I gave her a little sudo poweroff now via ssh. It took her 15 minutes to get the courage up to tell me she "broke" my computer. When I finally told her what really happened I thought she was going to kill me.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I didn't like Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Other than hardware problems on my side, not UNR's fault (gma500
), I just didn't like the layout. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it was just a little too busy for my liking. I didn't feel as though it was lightweight enough for netbook usage.

I have a Dell Ubuntu 9.04 install now that works with the GMA500 in there now. I installed XFCE on top of it and it works a lot better. You might also like Masonux which I would still be using if it wasn't for the GMA500 problem. It's a minimal install of Ubuntu with the LX Desktop Environment. LXDE is very lightweight and very fast. It's not full featured but it's good for netbooks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

I didn't like Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Other than hardware problems on my side, not UNR's fault (gma500
), I just didn't like the layout. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it was just a little too busy for my liking. I didn't feel as though it was lightweight enough for netbook usage.

I have a Dell Ubuntu 9.04 install now that works with the GMA500 in there now. I installed XFCE on top of it and it works a lot better. You might also like Masonux which I would still be using if it wasn't for the GMA500 problem. It's a minimal install of Ubuntu with the LX Desktop Environment. LXDE is very lightweight and very fast. It's not full featured but it's good for netbooks.

Have you ever used enlightenment?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

I have not. It looks interesting but I'm sticking with XFCE for now.

If you want to try it out you can install it without removing your XFCE and see how it looks on your machine.

1. Add in the Enlightenment repo. Add this to the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:
Code:
deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu karmic main extras
Then add the key:

Code:
Code:
wget http://packages.enlightenment.org/repo.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -
Code:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
2. Install the software

Code:
Code:
sudo aptitude install e17
Then read this to see how to switch back and forth:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/switch...r-kubuntu.html

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

I didn't like Ubuntu Netbook Remix... I just didn't like the layout... it was just a little too busy for my liking. I didn't feel as though it was lightweight enough for netbook usage.

Really?? I installed Mint5, Mint8, PCLOS-minime2009, PCLOS-zenmini2009, DamnSmall, Ubuntu 8.10, Mandriva 2009, openSUSE 11, and so on, on netbooks and so far UNR has been the fastest by far. Plus that interface is perfect for people using a small screen and a touch pad (netbooks lol). Mint5 was almost as fast as UNR but I had driver issues galore (USB, Wifi, Lan, Sound in/out, SD...). So far, the only 2 OS's I can see possibly topping UNR for Netbooks would be Jolicloud or maybe GoogleOS... but those aren't out yet unless your into beta testing.

Hands down though... UNR is impressive. It opened firefox 3.5 on that little HP Mini faster than it opens on any of my other computers (see sig). To me thats saying a lot.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidMonkey
View Post

Really?? I installed Mint5, Mint8, PCLOS-minime2009, PCLOS-zenmini2009, DamnSmall, Ubuntu 8.10, Mandriva 2009, openSUSE 11, and so on, on netbooks and so far UNR has been the fastest by far. Plus that interface is perfect for people using a small screen and a touch pad (netbooks lol). Mint5 was almost as fast as UNR but I had driver issues galore (USB, Wifi, Lan, Sound in/out, SD...). So far, the only 2 OS's I can see possibly topping UNR for Netbooks would be Jolicloud or maybe GoogleOS... but those aren't out yet unless your into beta testing.

Hands down though... UNR is impressive. It opened firefox 3.5 on that little HP Mini faster than it opens on any of my other computers (see sig). To me thats saying a lot.

Mine was slow mostly because of the GMA500 issue. I just didn't like the layout. Too busy for my liking.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact you see it as "busy". I'll agree that UNR 9.04 was quite busy with its left and right side tabs and tons of web-ap links, but UNR 9.10 has a few left side tabs and starts with only your selected favorite buttons infront of you. Every bit of these tabs can be hidden, and you can remove/add any buttons you want. I have a hard time seeing how this could be any less busy without having a basic blank desktop, of which you have to click/navigate more to get it to do anything. Maybe its just me though...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

Well that solves it. I was using 9.04, not 9.10

HAHA! Yeah that solves it!

Funny thing about 9.04... everything worked out of the box with it, but not 9.10. Too Bad 9.04 looked ******ed

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Might I suggest you try the Fedora netbook build (it's in beta; LiveCD is here).The live CD is not installable, but you can install it using the regular Fedora DVD: At the screen where you choose whether to install Office/Productivity, Software Development and Web Server, on the bottom half, there are repositories you can add. Add the "Fedora - i686" repo (and the updates repo). Then click Customize Now, then Next. Select Moblin Desktop and unselect GNOME Desktop. Then make any other customizations you want, and go on.

Here are a bunch of screenshots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts