Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My case (NZXT Source 210) has two top fan slots that are unused due my testing proving that they don't improve temps at all. I have 3 intake fans that are filtered and a push/pull exhaust in the rear for my CPU. Should I cover the two empty top slots or leave them open for air to escape?

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Did you have the top fans in intake or exhaust configuration????Using them as intake will create positive pressure,thus limiting dust...Another idea is to use them as exhaust and reconfigure your push/pull configuration to intake.So,you'll have the three intake fans delivering fresh air to your gpu/hardware,fresh air coming in from the cooler fans,(instead of pulling the hot air coming from your 780 classified),and the top fans exhausting the air out of your case..But then again,if you probably tried that,since you didn't notice any temp improvement,it all comes down to the level of noise you're comfortable with coming from your pc.I,myself,would not cover them in the end,because every chassis is designed by the manufacturer to have a standard airflow,and that might mess it up IMHO....

• Rep+
Reactions: yunshin

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried intake and exhaust for the top slots, at best it was a 1-2c improvement at best if none. The noise obviously did go up so not really worth it, in my opinion. Just checking to see if others cover open slots on their PCs or just leave them open for the air to escape on its own.

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunshin View Post

I tried intake and exhaust for the top slots, at best it was a 1-2c improvement at best if none. The noise obviously did go up so not really worth it, in my opinion. Just checking to see if others cover open slots on their PCs or just leave them open for the air to escape on its own.
Well 1-2c when OC'ing does make a difference,and there are quiet edition fans like the noctuas or the aerocool DS,but,again,it all comes down to what you want to do..I still don't think that covering them will be the right thing to do,since every dent in the chassis acts as pathways for airflow..

·
Premium Member
27,533 Posts
Simple, test it and see if it makes any difference.
thumb.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts