Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been having some memory issues described in more detail in this thread

TLDR: Each module on its own was fine, but both together would pop up errors in TM5. Otherwise nothing really noticeable in an everyday windoows usage.

Talked with Crucial and decided to RMA.
(2x16GB 3600C16 Ballistix)

Posted them to their London address on Monday (I am currently in the UK myself), they were received on Tuesday and on Wednesday I received from UPS from the Czech republic a replacement. Hadn't received any prior emails or anything about it. I was like damn, that's super fast.

HOWEVER

I opened up the box and there was a single module inside (and the invoice also stated 1).

I got into contact with them (especially with the concern of not ending up with a proper kit and possibly 2 mismatched modules) and this is what they said:

"You have sent 2 faulty memory's stick back to us and we have receivedf them. However, we have shipped one of the memory stick since another memory stick is out of stock.
Due to increased demand for the product you selected, we do not currently have sufficient inventory. Typically inventory is replenished within five to seven business days, however this is a general estimate.
Do not worry. In our system we have feeded the exact replicate part which will get allocated on you RMA. Rest assured you will receive a kit at the end."

Has anyone ever heard anything like that before? Being sent indivindual sticks? I am pretty sure the most logical thing would just wait and ship both at once. I am wondering whether someone just screwed up.

As an aside are my thoughts valid of ending up with 2 sticks from different kits? Because my errors in the past were between 2 modules not playing nice and if this issue isn't fixed by being given the modules in this way I will STILL be unsure on whether it is the sticks or something else after all.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hi all,

I've been having some memory issues described in more detail in this thread

TLDR: Each module on its own was fine, but both together would pop up errors in TM5. Otherwise nothing really noticeable in an everyday windoows usage.

Talked with Crucial and decided to RMA.
(2x16GB 3600C16 Ballistix)

Posted them to their London address on Monday (I am currently in the UK myself), they were received on Tuesday and on Wednesday I received from UPS from the Czech republic a replacement. Hadn't received any prior emails or anything about it. I was like damn, that's super fast.

HOWEVER

I opened up the box and there was a single module inside (and the invoice also stated 1).

I got into contact with them (especially with the concern of not ending up with a proper kit and possibly 2 mismatched modules) and this is what they said:

"You have sent 2 faulty memory's stick back to us and we have receivedf them. However, we have shipped one of the memory stick since another memory stick is out of stock.
Due to increased demand for the product you selected, we do not currently have sufficient inventory. Typically inventory is replenished within five to seven business days, however this is a general estimate.
Do not worry. In our system we have feeded the exact replicate part which will get allocated on you RMA. Rest assured you will receive a kit at the end."

Has anyone ever heard anything like that before? Being sent indivindual sticks? I am pretty sure the most logical thing would just wait and ship both at once. I am wondering whether someone just screwed up.

As an aside are my thoughts valid of ending up with 2 sticks from different kits? Because my errors in the past were between 2 modules not playing nice and if this issue isn't fixed by being given the modules in this way I will STILL be unsure on whether it is the sticks or something else after all.
If they dont have stock they dont have stock. Hardware is still at a shortage right now. Stop tripping and sit back and wait or buy a new kit and sell the old when you get it back.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
For a lot of people I think they would prefer the one stick, so they could at least run their PC while waiting for the second. A friendly policy that costs them extra (assuming you do get the second stick eventually and they work well together).

I don't think they match sticks in any meaningful way anyway, as long as they are the same PCB and memory IC bin the matching will be as good as it ever is.

·
Iconoclast
31,293 Posts
Sometimes there are differences in XMP settings between individual sticks and kits, but even this is uncommon. I doubt sticks are actually binned/tested together, even if they are labled and packaged together, except in the most extreme of high-end kits.

Also, if your DIMMs were fine individually, but not together, chances are the problem wasn't with the memory.

·
Registered
952 Posts

BMW this is unable to deliver cars due specific electronic chip shortages.

CORSAIR did their best possible, you can use your PC for now, and a second module will come later.
You should kiss their feet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the main reason thinking about kit compatibility was by remembering the literal countless posts of people going mental when someone would even mention of buying a 2x(2x1-kit) instead of a straight up 4x1 as it's a big no-no to match them even if they are exactly the same. 🤷‍♂️

Also I'd expect a guy returning something like multiple gpus for example to get some individually returned if supply issues but sticks of ram? Like if it was a kit of 4 to have a chance to get 4 packages? Just seems a bit weird to me.

Also, if your DIMMs were fine individually, but not together, chances are the problem wasn't with the memory.
Yes, I have my doubts as well. Which is why initially I went on 4 different forums seeking advice. When that didn't provide fruitful I contacted crucial which the guy on the screen on the other side of the world went through his quick checklist and decided to issue an RMA without really offering any real troubleshooting or technical advice. I did state multiple times that I didn't want to return my memory if it's not actually having any issues in itself. I escalated and senior staff asked for some proof of the errors, and the reply was just a generic response about an RMA being issued. I am not entirely sure what more I could have done. 🤷‍♂️

CORSAIR did their best possible, you can use your PC for now, and a second module will come later.
You should kiss their feet.
You just made me realise that despite Corsair producing so many different products I never bought anything with their name on it. Memory included.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You just made me realise that despite Corsair producing so many different products I never bought anything with their name on it. Memory included.
Neither do I, but they seem to care about consumer problems, at least in the USA.
Their keyboards are plain toys, memory products I would hesitate less to buy, and or about PSU only above the 750W mark.

·
Iconoclast
31,293 Posts
Well the main reason thinking about kit compatibility was by remembering the literal countless posts of people going mental when someone would even mention of buying a 2x(2x1-kit) instead of a straight up 4x1 as it's a big no-no to match them even if they are exactly the same. 🤷‍♂️

Also I'd expect a guy returning something like multiple gpus for example to get some individually returned if supply issues but sticks of ram? Like if it was a kit of 4 to have a chance to get 4 packages? Just seems a bit weird to me.
A lot of people make a bit deal about matching kits. Most of them shouldn't.

Sometimes certain speed grades simply aren't sold in certain configurations, because getting them to run is difficult or impossible for most systems, even if the memory is capable of it. Except at the absolute highest bins, if there is a kit sold for it, chances are that there will be an equivalent individual stick and simply buying x of that will be functionally the same, within margin of error.

I still buy kits, if only because they tend to be a dollar or three cheaper than the individual sticks for the same configuration.

There is also a liability element. If one is running an unsupported configuration and admits to it, it can be hard to get support even for legitimate issues. This is rare though, because individual sticks are almost never intended to be run alone.

Yes, I have my doubts as well. Which is why initially I went on 4 different forums seeking advice. When that didn't provide fruitful I contacted crucial which the guy on the screen on the other side of the world went through his quick checklist and decided to issue an RMA without really offering any real troubleshooting or technical advice. I did state multiple times that I didn't want to return my memory if it's not actually having any issues in itself. I escalated and senior staff asked for some proof of the errors, and the reply was just a generic response about an RMA being issued. I am not entirely sure what more I could have done. 🤷‍♂️
Almost no one you could have talked to could have been expected to be capable of providing anything beyond the most basic of support. The memory didn't work as advertised, so all they were ever going to do was have you exchange it, the why behind it doesn't really matter to them. Most RMAs they see are going to be compatability issues, not the result of a defective product, and they can absorb the cost of meaningless product exchanges more easily than they can afford to provide the equivalent of an overclocking helpdesk.

If it happens again, they might flag you for more in depth troubleshooting, or maybe they'll just offer you a refund.

·
Registered
952 Posts
A lot of people make a bit deal about matching kits. Most of them shouldn't.
Your saying it does not stand even in a industrial court of law. :ROFLMAO:
You seem avoiding to read product warranty documentation too.
THE manufacturer he may make changes to a product as many times he likes so.
An memory KIT, this is a warranty that both modules are identical about internal components in use.

Our Consumer, he will receive an identical second module (of latest production) as is the one received.

Another example, latest production of DDR3 by G.SKILL this has nothing identical with the same product code this be in the market for 10 years so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just a quick update.

I got the second module today sent to me. They do seem to be manufactured 1,5 years apart and one of them has a Reference Raw Card: B2 while the other one B0. Don't know if that's of any importance. Otherwise they are both micron E-die (which is surprising because the new module was built in this month and as far as I was aware micron had switched these kits to a different single rank die, apparently not).
I ran TestMem5 for close to 2 hours and no errors came up. In the past I used to get them from a few minutes up to 15-20 minutes for the first to pop in. I'll keep my eye if any of this changes in the future because I am pretty sure my original one also was working fine at first.

Aside from that the only thing I've noticed is that now that I added the second module thaiphoon burner seems to be acting up. With the previous modules it would always read the info just fine, and the same with this new single module. Now that I've added the second one lots of times it either comes up with crc errors or just lists everything as undefined. If I keep pressing on reading multiple times eventually it seems to read the info just fine? (but it does seem to struggle a bit more reading the newer module rather than the older one). Anyone can make any sense of this?

EDIT: I booted into my secondary fresh windows installation and there thaiphoon works normally so I suppose it's just clashing with an RGB software or something of the sort

·
Registered
952 Posts
Just a quick update.

Aside from that the only thing I've noticed is that now that I added the second module thaiphoon burner seems to be acting up. . Anyone can make any sense of this?
Thaiphoon Burner is the number one solution on the software market to work with SPD firmware of DRAM modules of PC. It is designed to meet the needs of both end-users and companies specializing in memory modules production for personal computers. Thaiphoon Burner provides powerful features for reading, modifying, updating and reprogramming SPD firmware of SPD EEPROM devices.

So you are saying that regular computer users will be more than happy with the replacement, and that a single software will be acting up with them?
How about to return the problematic software and get a refund?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thaiphoon Burner is the number one solution on the software market to work with SPD firmware of DRAM modules of PC. It is designed to meet the needs of both end-users and companies specializing in memory modules production for personal computers. Thaiphoon Burner provides powerful features for reading, modifying, updating and reprogramming SPD firmware of SPD EEPROM devices.

So you are saying that regular computer users will be more than happy with the replacement, and that a single software will be acting up with them?
How about to return the problematic software and get a refund?
I honestly can not make sense of what you just said.
Ειλικρινά δεν βγάζω το παραμικρό νόημα.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts