Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my old PC build was stolen and then found a few days later with random parts stolen out of it (they stole the 8350 but left the two 660ti and SSD). I use my PC mostly for gaming with some occasional photo editing and multitasking, so nothing too crazy. Id like to build something that is going to be relevant for 3-4+ years and is upgradable. My plan so far is a I7 8700k and a ASUS z370-E with 16gb of 2666. I would like to use my two SLIed 660TIs for now, however in the future upgrade to something better that can run 4k. Wondering what everyone's input is on this setup and if the GPUs are going to bottleneck the CPU badly and if the 8700k is worth the $ over some other options for my goals.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,918 Posts
I'd personally go for an 8600K and hope that Intel's upcoming 8 core CPUs are backwards compatible with Z370. Little to no reason to go for the 8700K if you're just going to do "photo editing and multitasking" and plan on pairing it with a 660 Ti.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You’re moving from a very slow cpu and memory architecture that I can’t say enough bad things about tbh so I think whatever you move to you will see massive improvements even if it’s just lag clicking around the screen(not exaggerating)

I am on an 8700k atm with z370-E and specifically bought this mobo as I wanted the great VRMs in case I upgraded to 8 core. My recommendation would be 8600k as I think CPU prices will go down when intels 8 core cpu is released and gains will be minimal from 8600k to 8700k.
Alternatively a ryzen 2600x would be for the most part very similar performance to an 8600k but if you bought a b350/b450 board it would be capable and save you loads. AM4 will also be supported longer than intel so you should be able to get 4.5ghz chips when ryzen 2 drops.

Additionally on intel. To be worthwhile over ryzen you need to delid and apply liquid metal to be able to run 5ghz at temperatures that won’t cause instability or throttling when the CPU is pinned in games/rendering.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
The upcoming processors will be compatible with all 300-series boards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts