Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: I got the 6850K and installed it and she booted right up. I was almost certain the board was faulty... Funny thing is it also fixed the issue I was having with the bios date and time constantly being reset. Just to make sure, I swapped the 5820k back in and it gave me the b0 error again. IDK... Anyway, Im going to cancel the board order, if anyone is looking for a X99 board there will be an ASRock Fatal1ty X99x Killer re-listed on ebay soon for only $150:

ASRock Fatal1ty x99x killer motherboard Ultra M.2 Gen3 x 4. Excellent condition

System specs:
5820k (OC to 4.6 Ghz) on Asus X-99A mobo
3090 FE
32GB 4channel DDR4 3333 ram (Trident Z)

A few nights ago I decided to connect the old Rift up to my pc and play Half Life Alyx. Everything was going great for the few hours I was playing with the exception of some random stuttering in game. My rig is more than capable of handling the game so I did not think much of it. I had gone through the additional steps to enable 2x supersmapling through oculus debug and increasing the resolution per eye to max settings (500%) through steam vr... everything was running on max and the game looked amazing and crisp on the rift. When I push settings like this I have my fans on max to keep things cool. The cooling parameters are setup through bios and this being a fresh windows install I had forgotten to install the Asus fan controller app so I did not put the AIO on max fan speed but its set to run cool enough. I had my 3090 fan at 100%. I played for about 3 hours, then watched an episode of Bar Rescue and once it was around 3am I called it a night.. I went through the shutdown procedure, everything seemed to go normally but when it got to the point where the monitors shut down from the cut in video signal, the computer stayed on. I thought it strange, I left it that way for about 5 minutes and still it was on but no signal to the monitors. So being that it was past 3am I decided to shut down manually and I would look into the oddity the next day. Well.... Saturday morning I turn the damn thing on and I get the b0 error code. I did all the troubleshooting that I could. I replaced all the ram sticks, did one slot at a time with 8 different sticks, did the little ram reset button, cleared cmos, did everything and it still hangs at b0.

So I think it is my cpu or my mobo. I do not know what else it could be. Ive had this setup since about 2015, and Ive kept it overclocked for the last 3 or so years. I wonder if this was been caused by me running the oculus at the ridiculously high setting in tandem with the high OC of the cpu... I removed everything, checked the cpu it looks fine, the mobo I checked with a jewelers loupe, all the traces and capacitors etc, front and back, everything looks fine.

This morning I swapped the psu just to rule that out I took out the gpu and powered up to test, got a 53 code (Memory Initialization Error), reinstalled gpu, then I got b6 error (Clean Up of NVRAM)....shutdown cleared cmos, replaced the battery and restart and now its back to error code b0. When I use one stick of ram in slot B2 I get code 53, and in all the other slots its back to code b0 (runtime set virtual address MAP begin).

I tried the bios flashback 6 times today with 2001 and yesterday I did 3004 step by step up to 4101 and no dice. I think it is done. One other thing, when I press the mem ok button it goes through its process and the cpu light is solid red for like 6 or 7 seconds then it turns off. During all startup attempts the dram led is solid red as well and remains lit.

I remember a month or so ago being in bios and noticing that the date and time were off and every time I would update it, after a restart it would always revert back to the wrong date and time. I bought a new 2 pack of 2032 battery and tired with both new batteries and both would have the same result. Each restart would mess the date and time in bios. Maybe thats a clue to consider the mobo is the culprit here? idk...

I really dont want to drop $200+ on a used x99 board, and I was happy with the performance to not upgrade yet...

Any ideas on anything else I could try? I bought a used 6850k on ebay from a buyer that accepts returns, Im waiting on that, hopefully that will resolve this issue but I think it probably wont..

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
Its probably the motherboard as a CPU very rarely breaks

Another reason why i think its the motherboard is the fact that you have RGB RAM which draws more power than older motherboards were designed for so its not uncommon for RGB RAM to kill older motherboards by drawing too much power

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts

Another reason why i think its the motherboard is the fact that you haver RGB RAM which draws more power than older motherboards were designed for so its not uncommon for RGB RAM to kill older motherboards by drawing too much power
I concur... Same problem with RGB on older motherboards...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Another reason why i think its the motherboard is the fact that you have RGB RAM which draws more power than older motherboards were designed for so its not uncommon for RGB RAM to kill older motherboards by drawing too much power
Its actually not rgb, the top part of the ram is solid white colored. So the sad truth/possibility is its my mobo... anyone here have an old dusty x99 mobo for sale? haha.. Ive checked ebay and the price of these old boards is too damn high! I could seriously buy a new X570 board for less than a used x99 board....***...

I wasn't planning on upgrading my setup so soon, but with this situation at hand, any recommendations for a worthwhile upgrade?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The 5820 and slow memory is such a bottleneck that you could swap the 3090 for a 3070 and not see a difference. Your computer is trying to tell you it’s time to upgrade. If you live near a Microcenter and want to save money, prices are very low on the 10700K and 10600K.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 5820 and slow memory is such a bottleneck that you could swap the 3090 for a 3070 and not see a difference. Your computer is trying to tell you it’s time to upgrade. If you live near a Microcenter and want to save money, prices are very low on the 10700K and 10600K.
I see, I will look into those, thanks for the suggestion!

I was talking to my boss at work today about how my dead pc is going to put me at a disadvantage in regards to productivity..... and well, I might be able to convince my job to cover half the cost of a new processor so maybe a 11900K or 5900x or hell, a 5950x.... so I assume if I could get that to happen the 5950x would be the best choice? It has been forever since Ive had an AMD pc, and a very long time since Ive had to look into the various offerings available. Im looking into it now, but curious if you or anyone else here have any experience or opinions to share?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I see, I will look into those, thanks for the suggestion!

I was talking to my boss at work today about how my dead pc is going to put me at a disadvantage in regards to productivity..... and well, I might be able to convince my job to cover half the cost of a new processor so maybe a 11900K or 5900x or hell, a 5950x.... so I assume if I could get that to happen the 5950x would be the best choice? It has been forever since Ive had an AMD pc, and a very long time since Ive had to look into the various offerings available. Im looking into it now, but curious if you or anyone else here have any experience or opinions to share?
I went with the 11900K because I only use my PC for games and it has slightly better single core performance than the 5950X. I’m not suggesting you do that. If your next upgrade is in 5 years, the 5900X is probably a better choice. However, I’d be concerned about using a 5950X/5900X for work because they are more likely to give you a blue screen of death, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the 11900K because I only use my PC for games and it has slightly better single core performance than the 5950X. I’m not suggesting you do that. If your next upgrade is in 5 years, the 5900X is probably a better choice. However, I’d be concerned about using a 5950X/5900X for work because they are more likely to give you a blue screen of death, but that’s just me.
I see, thank you for the info! I've definitely got some homework to do on my next build. 🍻

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems the gods have smiled down upon me tonight ladies and gents! I just bought a newly listed ASRock Fatal1ty X99x Killer mobo off ebay for $150. Cant beat that! If that keeps me going to 2023 I will be ready to dump some real money on a top end upgrade at that time especially considering the next generation bits just around the corner. :D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I’v had my Asus x99 boards kill multiple CPUs now. Just the way their x99 boards are and it’s a common issue.

I would suggest moving to a newer platform and get away from x99 as it’s a ticking time bomb.

If you want to make a backup rig out of the parts, theres allot of cheap xeon options on ebay. I bought a 4c/8t @ 3.7 for $20 shipped and made a budget gaming setup for someone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’v had my Asus x99 boards kill multiple CPUs now. Just the way their x99 boards are and it’s a common issue.

I would suggest moving to a newer platform and get away from x99 as it’s a ticking time bomb.

If you want to make a backup rig out of the parts, theres allot of cheap xeon options on ebay. I bought a 4c/8t @ 3.7 for $20 shipped and made a budget gaming setup for someone.
Ive heard pro and anti asus stuff regarding x99, I really dont know much aside from the fact that my system has been stable since 2015 and the last 3+ years at 4.6ghz and the ram at 3333, again ran stable and cool until well, it stopped doing so. Im planning on upgrading eventually, if I can get a couple more years out of this hardware combo with the asrock board then great, my plan is to do a completely new build with the latest hardware in a couple years.🍻

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I got the 6850K and installed it and she booted right up. I was almost certain the board was faulty... Funny thing is it also fixed the issue I was having with the bios date and time constantly being reset. Just to make sure, I swapped the 5820k back in and it gave me the b0 error again. IDK... Anyway, Im going to cancel the board order, if anyone is looking for a X99 board there will be an ASRock Fatal1ty X99x Killer re-listed on ebay soon for only $150:

ASRock Fatal1ty x99x killer motherboard Ultra M.2 Gen3 x 4. Excellent condition

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update 2....

....I wish I didn't cancel the motherboard order.....code 00 now.......***.....😑

1 - 13 of 13 Posts