Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i played with voltages a little after i had it set on auto.

i put it on 1.2875v Vcore in BIOS and CPU-Z reports 1.264v.

so now im at 266x12.5 = 3.33ghz @ 1.264v

DDR2 is 2:1 w/ the CPU

only BIOS changes i made was the ones listed above, setting my RAM to stock timings and volts, changing the boot order, setting PCIe @ 100mhz, and disabling floppy drive.

what u guys think of that? are those good numbers for an E5200? or is my OC still messy? should i be looking at other settings?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

so i played with voltages a little after i had it set on auto.

i put it on 1.2875v Vcore in BIOS and CPU-Z reports 1.264v.

so now im at 266x12.5 = 3.33ghz @ 1.264v

DDR2 is 2:1 w/ the CPU

only BIOS changes i made was the ones listed above, setting my RAM to stock timings and volts, changing the boot order, setting PCIe @ 100mhz, and disabling floppy drive.

what u guys think of that? are those good numbers for an E5200? or is my OC still messy? should i be looking at other settings?

Your voltages look just fine.

Are you stress testing for stability, If so what program and for how long?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just upped teh voltage one step at a time till it booted and ran stable. i will download a stress tester, which one u recommend? i have seen an "intel burn test", i think im looking for something like this. i dont want to run my computer for 8hrs and not be playing it. i need something that will test stability within a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Intel Burn Test *aka* linpack will stress test quicker than Prime95 (Another popular stress testing program.) but the temps in the Intel Burn Test are way higher than the ones you will get actually gaming/surfing, or running prime95.

If you are trying to overclock and you haven't been stress testing then I think it might be a good idea for you to start off by reading the stickied thread at the top of the forum.

EDIT: You can find it here http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ing-guide.html its a great guide it is where I started.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i read most of the OCing guide and i know about stress testing and prime95, i just havent downloaded it. i guess i could jst let it run while i sleep.

if there is a problem, will prime95 stop automatically? i wont be awake to save my computer. i dont expect any problems with my current setup, i may need to put up the Vcore one more notch, but that would be all i can fore-see happening

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
....if there is a problem, will prime95 stop automatically?....
When you get Prime95 open it up and then under the "Advanced" menu at the top select "round-off checking" this will make it so if a core fails the thread will stop and let you know that that core failed. It will also continue to stress the other core as well even after one fails.

Just run it and check the temps, and if they are wthin 70C then let it run a couple of hours and see if it fails.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
u MEAN teh reAL CORe temPS? aS IN THe CORE 1 And Core 0 TEMPS AND Not THe cPU TemPS?

i think tHOSE WOULD BE BETTER to uSE iN An oC Test.

Is tHERe A WaY To JUST AMKE IT SHUT OFF cOMPleTelY aFteR FaiLURE?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sry about that last post, friend was hitting caps lock and didnt want to get in a fight in the school library and make him stop.

i have HWmonitor from the ppl that made CPU-Z, seems reliant. temps in HWmonitor match all other monitors i have for my CPU and GPU.

ty, ill mess with it in a bit

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ha Ha yeah, fighting in the library might mess up your quality Overclocking time when you get home lol

Seriously though HWmonitor is a decent program that gives you lots of info. I would recommend realtemp, both are good programs though. Just remember to keep an eye on those temps. Good Luck, let me know how it all goes.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wouldn't keep those voltages at AUTO -setting. Set it up to 1.30V-1.35V and then try it out. Intel processor's usually won't need a lot of voltage increases, so, often it's NB or RAM which is slowing you down.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
A 2:1 divider will cause instability in just about any overclock that might really be fine.
Get your memory on a 1:1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts