Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mech-Antec
Intro:
Hello. You will probably not know me (unless you caught my last Case mod: Condensation). This would be because I mainly lurk on here watching various Cases being modded.

The Mod:
Well it’s that time of year again when I don’t actually have much to do, being a student and all. This mod will not be quite as extensive as the last but there will be a lot of it. This work log will, I hope, include both the mods I do to my case and include my work on a Scratch Built bong.
This is only my second attempt at modding a case and my previous attempt, while actually looking ok (ish), the performance is rather underwhelming to say the least, and to work on it is an utter nightmare. And while it hasn’t fallen apart (yet) I don’t trust most of the parts I made for it. So here’s hoping this turns out better.

Concept:
I have an Antec NSK6500 (very similar to This) from my very first self built PC, and I shall be water cooling the contents:
ASUS COMMANDO
E6600 @ 3 GHz (Limited by temp on Stock cooler)
260 GTX (192 flavour)

So what will be happening to the case? I hear you cry.
Well I hope to be going for the armoured appearance with lots of vents and so on. In other words making it look mean!
  • The case will be painted matte black (the black gloss finish disagreed with me last time).
  • there will be one of Repo’s turbine Mods in the front.
  • A window of some sort will be cut into the removable side panel.
  • LED’s of both the Blue and Red variety will be used
  • Inside not much will be done except basic cable management and getting rid of the removable HDD rack due to its inability to play nicely with the 260.
Why am I doing this?
Because I enjoy it and wish to progress my skills in practical matters. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a project through from the initial concept to seeing it come to fruition. It is also a learning experience to me so:
Any Suggestions and Criticisms are welcome.

So then onwards with the PICS!
Update table:
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/508324-updated-02-10-mech-antec-xye-5.html#post11474164
Mech-Antec Final Shots

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The plan:
Below is a drawing I did roughly showing how I would like the case to look. The image of the left hand side of the case has a '?' on it because I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with that side yet. The rest is pretty finalised.

So then let's meet the victim. This thing is really quite heavy so I'm guessing it's made out of steel which may be a bit of a pita for me to cut with my limited resources.

Also notice there are two built in catches which allow you to access the insides without the use of any tools. I hope to keep these in the final case.

Right that's the case now to do a bit of mocking up to see what you guys think too it. Cardboard is most excellent for this.

Right the top vents. These will actually have fans underneath and draw air in also I plan to put some mesh inside them.

This is with the side vents which are purely ornamental although should look kind of like they are exhausts. This picture looks a kind of funny. I think the cardboard has misbehaved or something.

Thanks for looking. I am DESPERATE for ideas on what to do with the side panel though. Hopefully I shall also have the front face mocked up by the end of tomorrow. I just need to eat some more cereal.....

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
you could also make some custom CD drive slot covers
And don't forget to make the side vents light up!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fedex1993 View Post
This is really cool. I cant wait to see this worklog.
Hope you enjoy watching as much as I enjoy making this thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nategr8ns View Post
This looks cool!
subscribed

I don't know what you should do on the side panel
, what's the overall theme of the case going to be? What could the theme be?
HatesFury (see below) has a good idea with the Transformers. Maybe I could etch the Auto-Bot logo onto a side window. Not 100% sure yet though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatesFury View Post
Into Transformers? Cut the auto-bot logo into the door

http://www.tileandstone.net/Autobot_Logo_02_Sml.jpg

See above

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
you could also make some custom CD drive slot covers
And don't forget to make the side vents light up!
Don;t worry about the Drive bay covers they will be sheilded from sight as you should see in my next update. Yes the plan was to make all the vents emit light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman View Post
this should be an interesting Mod ,,
Intresting being the operative word in that sentence. What with all the intresting angles that the wood is going to make, making this half way strong is going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the delay in the update had a small creative block. But is alright! I have overcome it and have, I think, come up with a half decent side panel design.

Right this is the front panel. As you can see the circle is where the turbine mod will go. The CD drive will come down from the upper vent.

This is a scale drawing. The front is to the right and the first part is a vent same as on the other side. there is also a window and 2 parts above and below it. The top one will have the power and reset buttons and the usb and audio connectors. The lower one will house a Digital temperature readout.
The design:

I shall hopefull be able to reuse these buttons as they look pretty cool. The power button is lit around the edge.

Still to be done:
Draw a design for the bong.
Order stuff.
Start cutting on the case....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everyone. Sorry this work-log has gone a bit quiet of late. Been kind of busy with work and so on. Plus i have Uni results coming on monday Which im Nervous about.

But progress has been made!

I've cut all the basic shapes out of 6 mm ply wood and have started to try to put it all together. But this is proving more troublesome than i initially thought it would be. There will hopefully be an 'Official' update this weekend with pictures and everything to show the progress.

Until then. Keep modding and stay safe.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hummm well things haven't gone according to plan around here due tot he arrival of this young lady:

Who does this alot

but anyway there has been some progress.

although i have yet to upload the pics to the bucket yet....

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Yo dawg, I heard you like puppies, so I put a puppy in yo' build log so you can bark whilst you mod!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol. Funnily enough shes 2 years old.... She's not just cute. She's a time waster as well. as soon as you reach for her she rolls over onto her back....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fedex1993
View Post

Is that a schnauzer? man any updates on the case

lol yep got it in one!

Update coming in shortly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right then. The long awaited update

As mentioned yonder (up there ^^) there has been a new addition to the family but work has progressed.

And now............................................... ............ PROOF!

The Wood I shall be using:

Weapon of Choice:

I got alittle carried away with it after that.....

The next Pic shows how i mounted the corners to fit the parts that go in them..... (if that made sense to anyone i will be amazed)

The first one goes in (note: this was the easy one):

After much fettling:

Onto the side of the case behind the Motherboard:

First and easiest inplace:

All done:

The Front is coming!

As you can see the front is ready to begin assembling which i should hopefully blast through this weekend.

Note i had to use a piece cut to the same size as the front of the case to assemble things on. Hopefully I shall be able to remove this once it is all glued in place.

Hope you have all been enlightened a little as much maths went into these angles and so on

Hopefully another update will follow in a few days assuming the timewaster doesn't stick its cold wet nose in and demand attention.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post

Don't rush perfection!
lol. Well I aim high but am afraid i don't quite reach my own standards.

I'm hoping some of the gaps will be able to be filled with polyfiller or whatever the bondo equivalent is here in the UK.

(If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated also please include where i could get it from)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts