Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
I don't know if BC2 is a good game to test sound performance. You won't really see any hardware acceleration from these cards where the only thing you'll be able to compare is the grade of the audio compoenents. Still good, but the audio performance of this game is horrific and unrealistic. Though I'm quite shocked that you were able to get better sound positioning from the X-Fi card. Though I have to agree with this, I noticed very accurate positioning with my Forte with this game too.

I'd like to see some classic or competitive games get through in this comparison. Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty 2, BF2, etc. I'd also like to see numerous effects turned on as well.

For music playback I would also like to see songs that all have various grade bit-rates. Compare 160, 320, and FLAC qualities of each track.

Looking forward to a full review. This thread is going to be awesome.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi everyone, i just want to say that i agree with the fact that the x-fi card is much better than the essence in gaming, you can definitly hear your enemys much better, i mean a lot better, believe me.
The other thing i apreciate in the x-fi is the SVN setting.The asus have this settings too but its not so good.

I have the asus essence st and creative titanium(not hd), and this one is still better.For listening i only use the Sennheiser HD598.Any questions im free to clarify.

The only thing i like in the asus card while gaming old games that use DS3D is because i dont need to use alchemy, thats a pain in the ass.

cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my opinion the creative titanium (cheapest) is the best choice if you are a gamer and dont want to waste a lot of money.

If your thing is listening to music and you like to use the EQ, then go asus.

proof that both are compatible and that i own them
biggrin.gif

unleddn.png

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.noob;13176836
In my opinion the creative titanium (cheapest) is the best choice if you are a gamer and dont want to waste a lot of money.

If your thing is listening to music and you like to use the EQ, then go asus.

proof that both are compatible and that i own them
biggrin.gif

unleddn.png
Say what you can have two sound cards in the same system? I hadn't contemplated that before but that's exactly what I'm going to do when my Xonar STX shows up today.

rep+

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think if I asked my friend to borrow it for a week, he would probably agree except he lives an hour and a half away. I guess I can trade a sound card with him for a week though. The Claro Halo has the same DSP (or very close) as the Xonar cards so the gaming aspect should be similar.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
I'm amazed by the Titanium HD. You'd expect something horrible from Creative with their x-fi failures and here you have a card great for gaming but not as much as for listening to music.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore;13179365
I'm amazed by the Titanium HD. You'd expect something horrible from Creative with their x-fi failures and here you have a card great for gaming but not as much as for listening to music.
What? Where did you hear the Titanium HD is a lesser of an audio card compared to the ASUS?. I prefer the HD's refined sound signature over the ASUS STX. Spec wise, the Titanium HD is using slightly higher grade components. Hence the OP's title of the thread. To test out his personal perceived differences between the two top grade cards.

I have noticed here on Overlclock.net counts of threads after threads of people stating false information on sound cards they have never phically listend to or even read about. TITANIUM HD has nothing in common with the old Titanium.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I swapped out the OPAMPs on the Titanium HD with a pair of Nationals LME49720NA that I picked up on EBAY. Very nice change indeed. The clarity in the upper mid range and high frequency range are very noticeable. Bass tightened up even more. For $8.00 I made a great card sound even better.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale;13198465
What? Where did you hear the Titanium HD is a lesser of an audio card compared to the ASUS?. I prefer the HD's refined sound signature over the ASUS STX. Spec wise, the Titanium HD is using slightly higher grade components. Hence the OP's title of the thread. To test out his personal perceived differences between the two top grade cards.

I have noticed here on Overlclock.net counts of threads after threads of people stating false information on sound cards they have never phically listend to or even read about. TITANIUM HD has nothing in common with the old Titanium.
Hmm. The DSP is still the same if they stayed with the CA20K2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkbluffgrown;13199062
I swapped out the OPAMPs on the Titanium HD with a pair of Nationals LME49720NA that I picked up on EBAY. Very nice change indeed. The clarity in the upper mid range and high frequency range are very noticeable. Bass tightened up even more. For $8.00 I made a great card sound even better.
I'm looking forward to getting mine. I ordered 5 samples from National Semiconductor so it should accommodate for both of the sound cards.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightingale
View Post

I don't think you understood me. My bad
. Let me rephrase. You know how the original X-Fi Titanium wasn't really good especially with all of those driver problems? Here you have the Titanium HD with the same chip and you expect them to do another horrible job and here you have a masterpiece compared to the original.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridCore
View Post

I don't think you understood me. My bad
. Let me rephrase. You know how the original X-Fi Titanium wasn't really good especially with all of those driver problems? Here you have the Titanium HD with the same chip and you expect them to do another horrible job and here you have a masterpiece compared to the original.

Yes. The X-Fi drivers were pretty poor when Vista was first released. Over time, the drivers were fixed. The Titanium HD's drivers were written from the ground up with only Vista and 7 compatibility in mind, which is why it works much better than the early Vista drivers for the previous X-Fi cards.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Who will take it will be the first to use an ESS DAC. Really. That's the only next step.

21 - 40 of 173 Posts