Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 173 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
You thinking the HD is more geared towards gaming with the STX is more geared towards Music where the HD can still holds it own against it?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino
View Post

You thinking the HD is more geared towards gaming with the STX is more geared towards Music where the HD can still holds it own against it?

this is what i've gathered from all the research i've done prior to buying my TiHD

gaming is primary for me, while music/videos is secondary....TiHD works beautifully...I'm also running win 7 x64 and drivers are perfect....the only real complaint is that every time you have RCA (aka speaker plug) and headphones plugged in at the same time, you will only get sound out of the headphones....speakers are automatically muted, and theres no way to fix it. It's hardware related, not software per Creative Labs forum...thechris2233 previously mentioned this

its a real pita to switch between speakers and headphones with the TiHD. and sadly, it can be a deal breaker. some have suggested using a y splitter to connect pc speakers and headphones using the same line. this might be the way to go

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
The TiHD would be the perfect card if it had the mechanical switch so you don't have to unplug your headphones to use your speakers. For once I actually like a card better than the STX. Why I like the TiHD is because I only use headphones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm kinda disappointed with the STX's performance in BFBC2...I was expecting at least some marginal quality in positional audio for FPS gaming...hopefully it's just this game that's an outlier and no others.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I still own the my STX and what eventually forced me to switch over to the Titanium HD was better positional audio for games. Yes DH can sound really good on certain titles, but based on my experience after owning the card, I prefer Creative Labs EAX>OPENAL and CMSS over the ASUS solution. BC2 which i primary play sounds much better than the STX with Dolby Headphone.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Now that I look at this, I think we have a new top card with just 1 minor inconvenience, no mechanical switch to change audio outputs.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Rally, keep us posted on the op amp replacement. I'm betting current and future TiHD owners would be very interested in a cheap/easy upgrade

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was inclined to Xonar, but after I see the bad performance in BF, I reconsidered.

Does anyone recommend a switcher (like that Plantronics that is discontinued) for headphone? Because is ridiculous to have to unplug and to plug the hp every time I want to change between them.

Although it does not matter, having to push a buttom or to plug/unplug a plug is the same crap.

Does the front panel jack on the computer case get the same power than rear in TiHD?

Is there any excitation to plug the hps on back jack instead of front panel case?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lb_felipe
View Post

I was inclined to Xonar, but after I see the bad performance in BF, I reconsidered.

Does anyone recommend a switcher (like that Plantronics that is discontinued) for headphone? Because is ridiculous to have to unplug and to plug the hp every time I want to change between them.

Although it does not matter, having to push a buttom or to plug/unplug a plug is the same crap.

Does the front panel jack on the computer case get the same power than rear in TiHD?

Is there any excitation to plug the hps on back jack instead of front panel case?

The front panel can do 33 ohms or less, the back headphone out can do 330 ohms.

The front panel is often subject to case noise or lack of EM shielding.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkbluffgrown
View Post

The front panel can do 33 ohms or less, the back headphone out can do 330 ohms.

The front panel is often subject to case noise or lack of EM shielding.

so does that mean running it through the front panel is a bad idea?

·
Registered
714 Posts
its a bad idea if your cans require a much higher impedance. Some people have no problems whatsoever with case noise being heard in their front panel audio jacks, some do. So if you are using low impedance cans and you have no case noise problems, then use your front panel.

I used an X-Meridian 2G sound card, and it has an excellent front panel headphone out conection. No noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkbluffgrown;13328158
its a bad idea if your cans require a much higher impedance. Some people have no problems whatsoever with case noise being heard in their front panel audio jacks, some do. So if you are using low impedance cans and you have no case noise problems, then use your front panel.

I used an X-Meridian 2G sound card, and it has an excellent front panel headphone out conection. No noise whatsoever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the SNR also worse on the front panel?

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Just an FYI in case you hadn't realized or whatever, but if you're using headphones that don't need to be amped, sometimes they'll sound better without the headphone amp. Try plugging HD555s or whatever headphones you're using to test the STX with the "Line Out" jack.

It supposedly better that way.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
41 - 60 of 173 Posts