Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on updating the installation guides for Linux. I am looking for input on what to add or change in the guides. I am also thinking about changing the base from Ubuntu to Mint, but I want to hear from the team on which distro you guys would like to see in the guide. I could also break the guide out and add sections for various distros if that would be helpful.
biggrin.gif

Post in this thread and let me know what you guys think.
thumb.gif

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
Where is the thread?

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's right here
biggrin.gif

The guides I am referring to are the BOINC Installation Guides in this sub-forum. The install guides are getting a little long in the tooth, even though everything is still more or less the same.

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
I totally misunderstood what this thread is about (I plead Oldtimer's Disease). Sorry.
redface.gif

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
IMO Linux Mint (Debian / Ubuntu based) is a good choice as well as Manjaro (Arch based) which grew greatly in 2016

Anyone with a Linux Mint guide is going to do fine on Ubuntu / Debian based distros because the setup is similar. (sudo apt-get or the synaptic package manager)

I doubt people are running Gentoo / Redhat (Fedora) / Slax / etc for home use. (the BOINC site lists Gentoo & Fedora http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installing_on_Linux )

I would use Distrowatch as a baseline for distro popularity ; it seems sites like osdir have discontinued.

I'm not sure how far along you are with the guide writing but here's the link to the distros' outdated pages

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BOINC
https://wiki.debian.org/BOINC

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't even started yet, and Mint and Manjaro seem like a good combo. Anyone that's running Gentoo or Arch (what myself and Disturbed run)probably doesn't need an install guide for BOINC.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Yeah if you can get around with boinccmd then installing with a GUI won't be the hard part.
smile.gif

Maybe include VBox installation since it's not included with Linux distro installation files. (And I hear the recommended BOINC +VBox file doesn't work with W10).

Adding the user to the boinc group. Not having access to the projects folder is a pita.

Default file locations for the boinc executable, cc_config, projects/app_config files are all separate where some of it is together in Windows.

·
Used to Overclock.net
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

Yeah if you can get around with boinccmd then installing with a GUI won't be the hard part.
smile.gif

Maybe include VBox installation since it's not included with Linux distro installation files. (And I hear the recommended BOINC +VBox file doesn't work with W10).

Adding the user to the boinc group. Not having access to the projects folder is a pita.

Default file locations for the boinc executable, cc_config, projects/app_config files are all separate where some of it is together in Windows.
I've got the latest vbox for a couple of VM's not related to BOINC so I can run a few servers 24/7 on the box whose CPU and 1 of 2 GPU's I'd like to use for BOINC. So, naturally I have a few questions...

My host OS is W10 x64 (of necessity, thus the Linux VM's). I noticed the config has a semi-ancient version of vbox, but I'm not sure if or how to get it to use my latest version for LHC (as an example). If I can, do the vbox configs assume LHC (or whoever) supplies a vbox appliance, and how does it connect to it? Does vbox enabled work also need a GPU, and if so, how do I tell it which one to use so it doesn't use both or the wrong one? Is there an overview somewhere on how these vbox enabled workloads actually need to get installed and configured?

Sorry to be the noob, but I use the other GPU for TC folding and don't want to risk any performance loss. If I can get it working I can switch my big rig's CPU between [email protected] and BOINC events as needed (and game when not needed) while leaving this rig for 24/7 dedicated WU's.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makr View Post

I've got the latest vbox for a couple of VM's not related to BOINC so I can run a few servers 24/7 on the box whose CPU and 1 of 2 GPU's I'd like to use for BOINC. So, naturally I have a few questions...

My host OS is W10 x64 (of necessity, thus the Linux VM's). I noticed the config has a semi-ancient version of vbox, but I'm not sure if or how to get it to use my latest version for LHC (as an example). If I can, do the vbox configs assume LHC (or whoever) supplies a vbox appliance, and how does it connect to it? Does vbox enabled work also need a GPU, and if so, how do I tell it which one to use so it doesn't use both or the wrong one? Is there an overview somewhere on how these vbox enabled workloads actually need to get installed and configured?

Sorry to be the noob, but I use the other GPU for TC folding and don't want to risk any performance loss. If I can get it working I can switch my big rig's CPU between [email protected] and BOINC events as needed (and game when not needed) while leaving this rig for 24/7 dedicated WU's.

Thanks in advance!
VBox and extensions just need to be installed for vbox apps to work. I think that is basically the only config needed, just be installed. Some apps seem to be picky about which version or combo of vbox + extension version.

BOINC will detect vbox at start up and each project will download its own .vdi file per app to setup the virtual environment with all required settings. BM will tell it how many CPUs to use. GPU passthrough to use GPUs in vbox is probably more extensive than what BOINC wants to get into. The only BOINC vbox apps I have seen are for CPU.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
@tictoc

I tried manjaro / arch in virtualbox , then used the package manager to install BOINC. Upon installing the boinc-openrc one it completely destroys the GUI login let alone the desktop. Installing the client results in "unable to connect to core client' even with

Code:

Code:
usermod -a -G boinc $(whoami)
systemctl start boinc.service
* Installed this one https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/boinc/ and https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/boinctui/
* seen also on https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=boinc
It's broken to the point that the GUI BOINC manager has the Advanced view in boincmgr greyed out

Then I saw this piece dated May 2017:
https://www.shiveringsquirrel.be/2017/05/boinc-on-arch-linux/ in which he uses VIM as a text editor (
tongue.gif
)

and this post on [email protected] https://einsteinathome.org/content/rx480-linux-opencl
Quote:
OK, I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 alongside Manjaro, installed amdgpu-pro into Ubuntu and crunching of OpenCL wus works fine. So, PRO driver is needed. It seems that non-Windows and non-Ubuntu GPU crunchers with Polaris class GPU have to wait for pro driver to be released...
This is a stark contrast to Linux Mint , Ubuntu, or any Debian based distro , which is an "install and done" affair in below 10 minutes.
frown.gif

If I manage to get my VirtualBox install of Manjaro working maybe I can host it somewhere. I made the username "OCN" so it would be more universal.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't run Manajaro in a bit, but for Arch I have never had any issues.

I haven't tested Manjaro with openRC, but had no issues running it with systemd.

Not to be that Arch user, but Manjaro is not Arch Linux. Here is a quick synopsis of the major differences: Manjaro: A Different Kind of Beast

Not sure which package Manjaro would have served up, but for Arch, following the simple steps in the Wiki, will have you up and running BOINC in a few minutes.

I ran Manjaro for a bit last fall, and I don't remember running into any hurdles getting BOINC up and running. Running BOINC on the CPU and [email protected] on a 7970 in this screen shot:

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Is it because I'm running it in virtualbox? It's not that I can't install BOINc, it's "unable to connect to core client"

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In VirtualBox you won't be able to use the GPU, but runnning CPU tasks shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have Manjaro running on any machines, but it sounds like when Manjaro installs BOINC it doesn't automatically connect the Manager to the Client. Give me a few minutes, and I'll fire it up in a VirtualBox VM and see what it is doing.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
I tried the chmod thing again , the ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg gui_rpc_auth.cfg spits out "already exists" so that's not it.

It still says unable to connect so I am really thinking it has to do with some sort of configuration. It also seems that you need to "systemctl start boinc.service" on every reboot?

In the time I spent messing with the Arch stuff I finished work units on the Mint install.
tongue.gif

I had been using Debian-based stuff since back in Windows XP days when Ubuntu was version 5 or something , reminiscent of DOS commandline when things break. I know how it really goes to garbage with dependencies , X11 , and desktop manager corruption.

I shouldn't have bothered with Arch based things but it was for curiosity's sake xD

^ obviously broken

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could automatically start the boinc service with "systemctl enable boinc". I generally don't do that, because my systems are always running and crunching.
:D

If nothing else doing a quick test of Manjaro in a VM, will make me start writing the new guides.
:thumb:

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Apparently I'm not the only one that has this issue although this person's fix did not work for me at first

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solution-for-impossibility-to-connect-to-the-client-boinc/4395
Quote:
First kill boincmgr if it's running and remove gui_rpc_auth.cfg if it already exists in your home directory, then...

Code:

Code:
sudo systemctl enable boinc.service
Code:

Code:
sudo systemctl start boinc.service
Code:

Code:
sudo gpasswd -a [username] boinc
Code:

Code:
ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg gui_rpc_auth.cfg
Code:

Code:
sudo chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg
Thanks to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BOINC and zenther from irc channel.
What did work is DELETING the wrong gui_rpc_auth.cfg from the home directory of the OCN User (I named the user OCN)

So whoever has this problem, take it from me, DELETE the darn file , start from the beginning and save yourself the headache.

BOINC Benchmark @ 3.5GHz XFR 3200MHz C16 result from Eventlog
Linux Mint 18.2 (using 8 threads + 8GB RAM right now): 4868 floating point (whetstone) per CPU & 23496 integer Dhrystone per CPU
Manjaro (using 4 threads + 4GB RAM right now): 4267 floating point (whetstone) per CPU & 16187 integer Dhrystone per CPU
---> subsequent run with Linux Mint VM paused = 4811 floating point (whetstone) per CPU & 22828 integer Dhrystone per CPU but be aware that with only 4 threads it may boost to 3.9GHz , or it could just be that the SMT isn't being used so there's slightly more performance

my Sandy Bridge had much lower integer but over 5500 Floating point.

Now I need to mess with core affinity to try to get all the threads on one CCX. Should be threads 0-7 and 8-15.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is pretty much line for line from the Arch Wiki, except for enabling the boinc service on startup.

I loooked at the package build from the Manjaro repos, and it hasn't been modified from the Arch package, so the installation steps in the Wiki will also work for Manjaro.
:thumb:

I forgot to abort my eight tasks in Manjaro before I nuked the VM, so hopefully I'm not the wingman for someone on the OCN team.
:p

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
I don't think Debian needs an install guide... just checking the boinc package installs the dependencies and no rpc password is needed

After messing with other distros I realize the lack of gui_rpc_auth.cfg password by default might not be the best decision by Debian package maintainers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts