Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Logitech are refreshing the G403, G703 and G903 with their HERO sensor. The G703 HERO is lighter as well, at 95g down from 107g. The other two are the same weight as before. Release date is supposed to be sometime this month.

Small bit of news but I found it interesting nonetheless. Here are the links:

G403: https://www.logitechg.com/en-roeu/products/gaming-mice/g403-hero-gaming-mouse.html
G703: https://www.logitechg.com/en-au/products/gaming-mice/g703-hero-wireless-gaming-mouse.html
G903: https://www.logitechg.com/en-au/products/gaming-mice/g903-hero-wireless-gaming-mouse.html

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
But what's the point...? I guess it's only for people who didn't get the previous versions already, but they could have at least lowered the price.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what's the point...? I guess it's only for people who didn't get the previous versions already, but they could have at least lowered the price.
Yeah I'm not sure what they will cost where I live (Australia) yet as they aren't listed in any stores here yet, but I guess if they believe the HERO sensor is truly an upgrade then it's no surprise they would update some popular models with it. I think it's a pretty good upgrade for the G703 though, it's now only 7-8g heavier than the G403 and has slightly improved battery life. The G903 appears to get a massive boost in battery life but the weight remains the same.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The point is lighter mice and longer lasting batteries... and 'getting rid' of PixArt. Personally, I would have prefered all new mice (as always), not upgraded ones.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,509 Posts
The point is lighter mice and longer lasting batteries... and 'getting rid' of PixArt. Personally, I would have prefered all new mice (as always), not upgraded ones.
Would of really LOVED a re-released G3 model using their latest Hero updated sensor.

Then watch the shelves empty faster than their current range. That is what it's all about in the end, choosing the right model to update and release at this point in time.

The G3 update would sell like Mad at every retail point if they choose to do it. Logitech instead chooses to hang onto their older range like it was valuable, which it isn't.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The G703 is lighter but for some reason the G903 isn't. Why?
The G703 got lightened but only gained 10 hours more battery life with the RGB lighting on, while the G903 stayed the same weight but gained a HUGE amount of extra battery life. It went from 24 hours with RGB lighting on to 140 hours with RGB lighting. So it appears that they chose to pack more battery capacity into it rather than lighten it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
They use a different battery in G703 Hero compared to G703 to make it lighter would be my guess. G903 Hero is the same weight because they didn't change battery. Hero sensor is just more efficient than PixArt sensors which explains the big jump.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They use a different battery in G703 Hero compared to G703 to make it lighter would be my guess. G903 Hero is the same weight because they didn't change battery. Hero sensor is just more efficient than PixArt sensors which explains the big jump.
Ah yes, I forgot the HERO sensor was the reason some of their other wireless mice get long battery life. This would certainly explain it better than my theory lol.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
why cant we get a hero G3? makes no sense.

also, pretty sure my wireless G900 already has a hero sensor, thing only needs to be charged like every 2-3 weeks. Less with lights off.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I’d rather have the lighter weight tbh. I can remember to charge my mouse at least once every 24 hours of play time. I don’t see how that’s vital. 😕

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’d rather have the lighter weight tbh. I can remember to charge my mouse at least once every 24 hours of play time. I don’t see how that’s vital. 😕
Yeah I think most of us would prefer lower weight where possible. I guess Logitech must see it as already having the GPW as their ultralight wireless mouse and the G903 is there for people who prefer their mice a bit heavier. I don't know, just speculating. Good to see the weight of the G703 brought down though.

·
Overclocker
11,388 Posts
no update in the *****y scroll wheel encoder??...No thanks.
What's wrong with it? Never had any mis-rolls. The steps suck on all encoders.

Hero is cheaper and their sensor so to speak, so they will gladly ditch Pixart and use their sensors in all products. Hero is vastly more power efficient but some say it's not as good as 3360.

G403 3366 is fine. Crap ton of plastic in it and googol of screws that make disassembly a nightmare. That's one thing they could have improved, it's weight and complexity.

G3 was never a great mouse really. Just grab one of many other same small sized mice that replaced it.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,509 Posts
G3 was never a great mouse really. Just grab one of many other same small sized mice that replaced it.
What an EVIL thing to say here on OCN.

Truly dismissive of a Great Shape despite the lousy sensor that had originally resided inside it. But now with the Hero Sensor being stuffed into everything but the 'house-cat', time to finally bring the G3 back into the Light.

Hopefully without any of that disease known as RGB lighting. Time to end it for the sane and normal people out there, we never needed it at all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Would of really LOVED a re-released G3 model using their latest Hero updated sensor.

Then watch the shelves empty faster than their current range. That is what it's all about in the end, choosing the right model to update and release at this point in time.

The G3 update would sell like Mad at every retail point if they choose to do it. Logitech instead chooses to hang onto their older range like it was valuable, which it isn't.
When you're right, elrick, you're right!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't know the brand of the encoder yet (I forgot to look when I removed the magnets and battery tray), but the steps and feel of the scroll wheel are much improved.
Didn't think the weight difference would be as noticeable as it is, much lighter feel.
Also, the coating and grips seem better on this version of the 703 than the other three 3366 versions I have.

Overall probably worth the upgrade if you like the 703.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know this thread is pretty old now but I picked up a brand new G703 Hero for $90 AUD on ebay this week (RRP here is about $160 AUD) and today I had a go at some light modifications to reduce the weight.

The starting weight is 95g which is pretty good considering the original G703 was something like 107g. This just comes from the use of a smaller battery since the Hero sensor is very power efficient. The things I removed was the bottom magnetic plate, the inner power play magnets and cable and the huge battery cover. I also drilled some holes in the inner plastic shell since you can't see it from the outside, though I didn't go too crazy with it. The holes probably only reduced the weight by 1-2g.

While I had this mouse apart I noticed it has the Omron D2FC-F-K(50M) rather than the more tactile D2FC-F-7N(20M) found in the G403. Though the clicks still feel good enough that I didn't feel the need to change the switches.

Finally I used a small amount of strong double-sided tape to stick the battery down to a spot that helped keep the mouse balanced, and chucked on some Hyperglides. The end result is 87g with very good F/R weight distribution. I believe this is the same weight as the wired G403 without the cable. So that's pretty great for such an easy mod. I do own a paracorded G403 as well but now I don't really have a reason to use it anymore.

Something I noticed with my G403 is that if I took the magnetic cover for the extra weight out, the mouse felt front heavy. I think RJN points this out in his old review as well. Thanks to the placement of the battery in this mod that is not the case with my G703. The balance point is right in the middle of the sensor, which I think is ideal.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts