Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
it depends on your motherboard. i have a reasonably recent board in the late 800 series for intel. and i need to run each individual update

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Whenever I stick a floppy in, it says it needs formated, then it says it can't format...

I'v fliped the eide cable FOUR times now... same thing... also tried 6 disks! 1 KNOWN working, the others im pretty sure worked...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nayo_450
just get a new floppydisk drive, you'll need to get one eventually,
and you can get one for $20
Ya thats cool and all, and a really good idea, but I dont wanna sit here stuck with 800mhz tell I get a job, get a first paycheck, order one, and wait for it to arive!

Theres no reason my floppy drive shoulden't work, it worked on my computer the EXACT day I took it out (yesterday)

·
Registered
956 Posts
oh so money for you is an issue, well then it might be a good idea to explain
what happend, and currently what is going on....I cant read minds.
dont take this the wrong way:
Basic floppy trouble shooting.

A floppy drive may not work because of one or more of the following reasons.
  1. Bad floppy diskette.
  2. Not setup in CMOS.
  3. Confliction with other hardware.
  4. Not connected properly.
  5. Bad drivers.
  6. Bad floppy drive.
1. Bad floppy diskette.

Verify that the floppy diskette that you are attempting to read from is not write protected or bad. Verify that the diskette is not write protected by sliding the tab into the position not allowing light to shine through it. If you do not have a tab place tape over this hole.

Because of the technology of floppy diskette drives it is likely for a floppy diskettes to easily become bad. Verify that other floppy diskettes are not exhibiting the same issue.

If other floppies work it is likely that you may have a bad floppy diskette.

2. Not setup in CMOS.

Verify that the floppy drive is properly setup in CMOS. If the floppy drive is not setup properly you may experience read / write errors or the floppy may not work at all. Most computers need to have the floppy setup as a 3.5, 1.44MB.

Information about CMOS and how to enter CMOS can be found on our Entering BIOS.

3. Confliction with other hardware.

If you have recently physically installed any new hardware such as a tape drive or other backup medium temporarily disconnect that new hardware to insure that it is not the cause of your floppy drive not working.

4. Not connected properly.
  • Open computer being aware of ESD and its potential dangers.
  • Verify that the floppy connection is connected to the motherboard FDD connector. If it appears to be connected disconnect and reconnect cable to verify cable is seated properly.
  • Verify that the floppy cable coming from the motherboard is connected to the back of the floppy drive. If connected disconnect and connect the floppy drive cable to verify seated properly.
  • Verify that a power connection is also connected to the back of the floppy drive.
5. Bad drivers. If you are not able to read or write to a floppy diskette from Windows, verify that the computer is not exhibiting floppy drivers issue by testing the floppy drive from MS-DOS.

If you are running Windows 3.x click File and click Exit Windows to get to an MS-DOS prompt.

If you are running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT or Windows 2000 click Start / Shutdown and restart the computer to a MS-DOS prompt.

Once at the prompt place a diskette into the floppy disk drive and type format a: if you get:

Invalid media or Track 0 Bad
= Attempt to format another floppy disk.

Write Protect Error = Insure that the disk is not write protected; by removing the floppy disk and insuring that you cannot see through both holes if you can; move the tab in the left hand side down (looking from he back of the floppy) and try again. If the disk is not write protected try another floppy disk.
Invalid drive specification = Insure that you floppy drive is setup properly in CMOS.
If the floppy disk drive formats properly in MS-DOS however does not format in Windows it is likely that Windows or a program within Windows is preventing the floppy drive from working. Attempt to End task on all running TSRs by performing a Clean Boot. If you continue to experience the same issues we recommend that Windows be reinstalled.

6. Bad floppy drive.

If you continue to experience issues after following the above steps it is likely that hardware within the computer is bad. Attempt to replace the following hardware in the computer in the below order.
  1. Replace the floppy data cable which connects the computer floppy drive to the motherboard \\ I/O board.
  2. Replace the floppy if the floppy data cable did not resolve your issues.
  3. Replace or request that the motherboard \\ I/O board be replaced.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks nayo_450 lol

However I should have added, im gonna borrow a friends floppy out of his gateway 300mhz ><

Sorry =\\

NOW TO MAKE THIS COMPUTER THRIVE, then post pics shortly after

1 - 11 of 11 Posts