Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Mandriva linux AMD64 ver. on my computer but the Graphics are still messed up on the login in. So I'm thing that I need to update my card to fix it, but I don't know how to do so. the driver as the extention .run and of course wont run/update in windows and I don't know how to update the driver in linux. The driver in burned on a cd and any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo

I have Mandriva linux AMD64 ver. on my computer but the Graphics are still messed up on the login in. So I'm thing that I need to update my card to fix it, but I don't know how to do so. the driver as the extention .run and of course wont run/update in windows and I don't know how to update the driver in linux. The driver in burned on a cd and any help would be great. thanks

ok, its a .run, and you can thank kopeah for this...you cd to whereever the driver's located, type sudo sh <drivername>.run and it'll start it up. You can also use su, and type your root password, and it'll log you in as root in that terminal.

OFF TOPIC: how long have you been using mandriva?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so I was in text mode and then entered my root password and the entered the following

cd..\\
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8178-pkg2.run

but it never worked.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is the first time I've used Mandriva, but I haven't really USED it yet lol. The only linux distro I've used before was Fedora Core 1 and 4

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Do you konw how to stop Xorg? because that's what you have to do on linux to install the linux driver for nvidia. then you type it like that.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope. I don't know, so please tell. thanks

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I believe its stopx. if it takes you to a full screen terminal, then it worked. To start it back, you type startx. but yea after you stop x, then do what I told you, the sudo sh deal.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but when do i type in stopx. Is it when I'm at the boot screen. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm just a noob trying to learn. thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok

TO Metalkobra: do you know how I could install that drive for Fadora Core 4. I have the same problem with the graphics. OR if I update the drive in just one version will that fix it for Fedora also?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Ok, I just got back from school, you type stopx in terminal, and I've never done this in mandriva, I did it ubuntu, but from nvidia's instructions, this works for all distros.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to seem like a total noob but how do I get to the terminal. The spot I get to I don't think is the right spot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts