Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!

It's been a few months since my last post, but work and life have kept me extremely busy. Now that I finally have some time to breathe, I'm ready to make some changes to my rig. A few of you may have followed my initial build and already know about my quibbles with it.

For those who might be interested, my build thread can be found here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1333470/finally-my-dream-machine

To summarize, I ended up regretting my purchasing the Cosmos II. In fact, over the past few months, I've grown to hate it. The styling hasn't worn well on me, among other things, and I'm ready to scrap it and upgrade. Additionally, I wasn't pleased with my decision to choose the H100i as my cooling solution for the 3960X, but this choice was made purposely because of its simplicity. I've never designed or implemented a custom watercoolling loop before and I didn't have the time to do the research, let alone to build it. Based on its performance, I can only assume that Corsair didn't design it for the purpose of cooling a CPU with a 150W TDP, and I've only been able to achieve an overclock of 4.4 GHZ before the temps start running out of control.

I'll be ordering the parts based on your suggestions within the next 7 days, possibly longer. I don't want to rush this as I've already invested a lot of time and WAY too much money into this project, lol.

My budget will consist of roughly 2k both loops.

The changes:
  • Throwing out the Cosmos II and replacing it with Case Labs Magnum TX10-V
  • Adding two additional GTX 680's for a total of four.
  • Possibly more as I think further. That's how I roll, lol.
Initial plans:
  • Two seperate loops. One for the GPU's and another for the CPU/Motherboard. (Prefer EK blocks. Looking at the supreme series for the CPU)
  • The CPU loop will run with its own pump, reservoir, one Quad 120 or 140mm radiator with its primary goal being to obtain a stable 5.0 GHZ overclock)
  • The GPU loop will consist of its own pump, reservoir, and TWO quad 120 or 140mm radiators, with the primary goal of achieving an overclock of 300+mhz on the core clock of all four cards.
  • Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans. 1850 RPM. (Push pull configuration?)
From here, I'm stuck!

Questions:
  • Radiators! There are way too many to choose from! Suggestions?
  • Pumps! Same as above. Are two even necessary to make the magic happen?
  • Are each of the loops sufficient enough to achieve my goals?
  • Tubing. Does does the diameter truly make a difference? For aesthetic purposes, i'd like to use larger tubing, otherwise this case will make the tubing look super tiny.
  • Fan controllers. There will be at least 16 fans running in this thing.
  • And finally, FITTINGS. I have absolutely zero idea as to what is required in this department, though I like the idea of using compressing fittings. What exactly will I need to make this build happen?
  • Are there other issues i should be aware of?
It might seems like a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate any help. Again, this is my first water cooling rodeo, and I want to nail the build. ANY advice whatsoever would be extremely appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts